Why so much despise for bodybuilders

Options

Replies

• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "We don't care about PF, we're freaks"

EDIT: His language isn't the best in a few places so don't play without headphones or around young people.
    Just something lighthearted. No malice intended. Genova is pissening. Sickening. Addictivinnening
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Most days the MFP boards sound like a bunch of high school drama queens looking for someone to pick on.

I always giggle to myself when someone mentions: ectomorph, eating clean or muscle confusion.

You can bet your last that penny someone will come along and point out their mistake to make themselves feel more superior.

• evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am not a bodybuilder but I am a bodybuilding fan. I was also a member of planet fitness for a few years. planet fitness is marketed towards regular people who casually work out. seeing athletes in there would run them off. yes their slogan about not judging is total judgement but whatever. that gym isn't set up for extreme athletes anyway. you would be miserable there. as for people hating bodybuilders I think that's multifaceted. you have the people who are intimidated by overly muscular people. you have the people who cant imagine dedicating that much of their life to creating a physique like that of bodybuilders. you have people who believe we have evolved into intellectual beings now and you must be stupid if you focus on your body like that " hulk lift heavy thing". then you have people who just don't find it attractive. a real bodybuilder is extreme. the lifestyle is extreme the physique is EXTREME. if you choose to be extreme you cant expect regular people to understand your life style. each time you feel that you are in a non bodybuilder friendly situation just remember its because you are extreme and its really a compliment. it says you are doing your job and have a physique beyond those around you. do what you love man. be extreme. as I said I'm not a body builder and I have been talked down to by a couple of girls at work because I am in shape and was wearing a tank top outside. they said I was showing off. I was offended and told them that just because their husbands were too fat to wear a tank top didn't mean that's what men are supposed to look like. then I felt like a *kitten* because I have nothing against either of their husbands who are both nice guys. I realized that the girls were simply ashamed of their own chubby bodies and pushing that onto me. so it was actually an accidental compliment to me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of competitive bodybuilders at my gym...never seen anyone give them any grief...they're natty though.
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thread fail.

MFo6ffE.gif

My advice is do what makes you happy, not for the validation or happiness of others.
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    moesis wrote: »
    Most days the MFP boards sound like a bunch of high school drama queens looking for someone to pick on.

I always giggle to myself when someone mentions: ectomorph, eating clean or muscle confusion.

You can bet your last that penny someone will come along and point out their mistake to make themselves feel more superior.

But... But... I'm a clean-eating ectomorph, who's not seeing gains BECAUSE of muscle confusion... I feel so... Discriminated against.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options

But... But... I'm a clean-eating ectomorph, who's not seeing gains BECAUSE of muscle confusion... I feel so... Discriminated against.

it's cos you have a fast metabolism

• Hugyourlife
    Hugyourlife Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are feeling rejected. You have amazing talent and drive being driven to build that much muscle. Just be you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Planet Fitness doesn’t discriminate against anyone. If you follow their rules of behavior, you can work out there, bodybuilder or otherwise. Discrimination is disparate treatment for characteristics that a person cannot change (or reasonably should not have to change), like race, sex, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, etc. The prohibition against ripped up string tank tops, do-rags, milk jugs full of workout drinks, work boots, grunting, sneering, etc., is not discriminatory, so let’s not fabricate faux outrage against a nonexistent victim class.

PF’s business model is a reaction to something that actually exists: *kitten* behavior in gyms. A lot of that behavior is associated with bodybuilders and powerlifters. I have been a gym rat for over 30 years and have seen a full range of bad behavior, and admittedly even added to it in my teens and 20s when I was more alpha about lifting. In reality, some people just go to a gym to exercise, without attitude and narcissism – that is PF’s target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are usually plenty of other gym options available.

are you daft?
    their entire business model is based on judging and isolating anyone serious about any aspect of fitness.

“Serious fitness” is an arbitrary term. Failing to stock certain types of equipment isn’t judgmental behavior, and beyond that, nothing that PF prohibits will impair your “serious fitness” endeavors.

I honestly fail to understand how PF triggers such hostility. Let the fabricated victimization go, PF does not have a monopoly on gyms, there are other options.

I'm not a bodybuilder or power lifter or anything like that...but I am serious about my fitness and athleticism. I learned to Oly lift in highschool when I was a track and field sprinter and jumper...Olympic lifting made me a much better athlete...Olympic lifts are one of the best things that an athlete that requires explosiveness can do...they are one of the best things that anyone seriously into fitness can do for themselves...but according to PF it is "lunk" behavior and those awesome lifts aren't allowed 'cuz it will be scary or something for other people.

smh...there's a 70 year old dude at my gym who does cleans and snatches...it's friggin' awesome...and oh so scary and intimidating...

Some of the fittest athletes that I have ever been associated with were in the military, and this level of fitness was obtained with only a minor amount of gym activity. There are countless paths to being fit; Olympic weight lifting is certainly one of them, but not the only one. There are countless guys doing bodyweight resistance exercises in prison cells right now that are totally jacked, you can get great results being consistent and working hard, with or without a particular set of equipment.

some damn fat people in the military too.

people who want to be fit find a way to be fit.
    People who don't- won't.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »

EDIT: His language isn't the best in a few places so don't play without headphones or around young people.
    Just something lighthearted. No malice intended. Genova is pissening. Sickening. Addictivinnening

is this the iron sport spoof on planet fitness?

I can't see it on my computer b/c video is blocked at work- but if it is- I've been to that gym- it's *kitten* rad.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    BHFF wrote: »
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

There would be no Planet Fitness if regular folks wanting to workout were not fat shamed for years and years in bodybuilder type gyms.

Just sayin.

Jesus, do I go to the only gyms that aren't loaded with *kitten*? I've used two Gold's, a couple if small PL gyms, and a YMCA. When I was fat at 265? Nothing but encouragement and advice. When I got to 150 and looked emaciated and terrible? Nothing but encouragement and advice. Now that I am 167 and actually look like I might have picked up a barbell once or twice? I just get left alone.

Seriously, if my broad experience is anything to go by, it's probably more people feeling insecure and shaming themselves, than anyone doing so to them.

Totally agree!! I've never seen anyone fat shamed at a gym. You are right they are more likely shaming themselves. I've always encountered support for people overweight!
    I'll go as far as saying that skinny men and women are called out more than people overweight.

There were a couple of people recently that fat shamed someone in a very public way. Dani Mathers and Diana Andrews. As you said, everyone judges and there is shaming on all sides.

I rest my case. The fat shaming at gyms was legion, therefore some smart person invented Planet Fitness and its the fastest growing gym in the country I believe. I just wish it was my idea LOL
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I don't know if people actually hate bodybuilders, especially on MFP, but people do feel pretty free to hate on their bodies, make rude comments like "ew, too many muscles" in a way they wouldn't dare talk about other people. I think it's a combination of basic discomfort with seeing an extreme body type, but also a lot of judgement about anyone who very clearly puts so much time and work into aesthetics.

A lot of people get behind the idea that fitness should be about longevity, quality of life, etc. and that it's morally inferior or something to exercise for the purpose of changing your body shape. I definitely see that tension on MFP- people get pretty judgey. I am not into bodybuilding but personally find vanity and competition super motivating.

I don't know anything about Planet Fitness, but most gyms definitely protect their business model and culture. People who don't fit in will feel unwelcome. Not quite discrimination, more like tribalism.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Why the despise for people who want to bodybuild? Shoot there is even a gym (PLANET FITNESS) that pretty much says bodybuilders are NOT welcome in their facilities. Even though there slogan is "NO JUDGMENT ZONE" is that hypocrisy?

There would be no Planet Fitness if regular folks wanting to workout were not fat shamed for years and years in bodybuilder type gyms.

Just sayin.

Jesus, do I go to the only gyms that aren't loaded with *kitten*? I've used two Gold's, a couple if small PL gyms, and a YMCA. When I was fat at 265? Nothing but encouragement and advice. When I got to 150 and looked emaciated and terrible? Nothing but encouragement and advice. Now that I am 167 and actually look like I might have picked up a barbell once or twice? I just get left alone.

Seriously, if my broad experience is anything to go by, it's probably more people feeling insecure and shaming themselves, than anyone doing so to them.

Totally agree!! I've never seen anyone fat shamed at a gym. You are right they are more likely shaming themselves. I've always encountered support for people overweight!
    I'll go as far as saying that skinny men and women are called out more than people overweight.

There were a couple of people recently that fat shamed someone in a very public way. Dani Mathers and Diana Andrews. As you said, everyone judges and there is shaming on all sides.

I rest my case. The fat shaming at gyms was legion, therefore some smart person invented Planet Fitness and its the fastest growing gym in the country I believe. I just wish it was my idea LOL

one could argue that people- men and women alike have been mocking body builders (Women especially) for years as well. If we create a fit people only gym is it acceptable?
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Just sayin.

one could argue that people- men and women alike have been mocking body builders (Women especially) for years as well. If we create a fit people only gym is it acceptable?

I like this! Great point!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Clearly needs more Weight Gain 4000.

plw95y8nqzev.jpg
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »

is this the iron sport spoof on planet fitness?

I can't see it on my computer b/c video is blocked at work- but if it is- I've been to that gym- it's *kitten* rad.

Nope just a clip from the fringe-internet Iron Extortionist known as Jason Genova from Delray beach, Fl. Rumour has it that he sleeps in mid air; upside down suspended from the jaws of two very angry jackals. http://genovapedia.org/
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

And I'm genetically gifted.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For the same reason there are body builders and competitive athletes who think those that exercise casually and don't get overly obsessed with their diet are lazy, or automatically assume that everyone that is overweight is out of shape. I actually had someone on this site tell me that person who runs marathons and ultra-marathons but happens to be overweight doesn't take their sport seriously.

Personally I don't like how bodybuilders look, and I prefer guys that are thinner rather than bulky. The sight of veins popping out all over the place totally skeeves me out and they feel really gross! For myself, I like enough fat on my bones to keep my curves. To each their own :)