Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine
    Some people have different taste buds. I used to enjoy garbage. Or over processed foods. I went on a diet and eliminated all those food lost 125. I go back to treat myself to something I used to eat... nothing taste the same as it used to.. I used to love these food and over indulge. Now I try these food and it's somewhat gross to me. I would rather eat grapes than gummy bears.. it's the sugar and high fat and sodium. That make people go back for more. It like an explosion on the taste buds.

Gummy Bears are . . . low fat.

Not the chubby ones.

This also made me break out in to loud laughter in my office! Haha
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy garbage.

That's just gross. Were you homeless or something?
    Hornsby wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine
    Some people have different taste buds. I used to enjoy garbage. Or over processed foods. I went on a diet and eliminated all those food lost 125. I go back to treat myself to something I used to eat... nothing taste the same as it used to.. I used to love these food and over indulge. Now I try these food and it's somewhat gross to me. I would rather eat grapes than gummy bears.. it's the sugar and high fat and sodium. That make people go back for more. It like an explosion on the taste buds.

You used to eat garbage? And enjoyed it?

That is strange. I'm glad I haven't ever had to dig food out of a trash can. My sympathy to @thechaoswithinme for going through that...

George Costanza would argue that if it's on top, it's not really garbage. Maybe that's what we're talking about here . . .

Hahaha very funny guys. You know what I'm saying fast foods, chips Unhealthy food items. Hahahahaha
  • thechaoswithinme
    edited April 2017
    Options

That is strange. I'm glad I haven't ever had to dig food out of a trash can. My sympathy to @thechaoswithinme for going through that...
    Hahaha people are going off about me using the word garbage!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy garbage.

George Costanza would argue that if it's on top, it's not really garbage. Maybe that's what we're talking about here . . .

Hahaha very funny guys. You know what I'm saying fast foods, chips Unhealthy food items. Hahahahaha

No, I don't think we know what you are saying. Why are those foods "garbage"?

Also, I've never understood this mindset of changing your eating habits so dramatically that foods you used to enjoy taste terrible now. Is that really something to aspire to? I actually strive to eat all the foods I enjoy, while reaching my goals.
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    All I meant was foods that are overly processed.. it's not a big deal. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't trying to offended anyone.
  • kclaar11
    Options
    All I meant was foods that are overly processed.. it's not a big deal. You know what I'm saying. I wasn't trying to offended anyone.

I think the point trying to be made is that labeling foods "unhealthy" and "garbage" is very subjective. Processed foods are not inherently unhealthy and neither are fast foods for that matter. "Clean" and "unhealthy" are purely based on perspective
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    I used to enjoy garbage.

Also, I've never understood this mindset of changing your eating habits so dramatically that foods you used to enjoy taste terrible now. Is that really something to aspire to? I actually strive to eat all the foods I enjoy, while reaching my goals.

I just think those foods don't fuel you. They have no nutritional value. I'm not telling what to eat. Do what you want it's your journey. I prefer to eat them in moderation.. if I find something I enjoy. My tastebuds did change. I don't enjoy the snack and certain food items. I used too. That's all. Everyone is different. It's your choice. Sorry it my wording offended you. Before I guess I could eat those foods in moderation. Now I can
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Except that several people in this thread, myself included, stated that we eat varying amounts of processed foods and you called the our food choices "garbage." What was your point in that if not to offend?
  • kclaar11
    Options

Any food can be part of a healthy diet - that includes fast food, chips, and gummy bears. Although I hear the Haribo Sugar Free ones may be something to limit...

I have also heard and read those bears should be avoided at all costs for..."digestive health" reasons
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options
    @WinoGelato I used to love those crispy muncho chips. Now they are to salty for me and have a weird after taste.. idk maybe I just associate those foods with feeling guilty after I ate them. I still working out all my kinks in my weight loss journey. I figuring out how to balance my eating habits. I'm not an expert or calm to be
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    I used to enjoy garbage.

I just think those foods don't fuel you. They have no nutritional value. I'm not telling what to eat. Do what you want it's your journey. I prefer to eat them in moderation.. if I find something I enjoy. My tastebuds did change. I don't enjoy the snack and certain food items. I used too. That's all. Everyone is different. It's your choice. Sorry it my wording offended you. Before I guess I could eat those foods in moderation. Now I can

The foods you described do fuel you and they do have nutritional value.

Eating foods we enjoy in moderation, as part of an overall balanced diet, is exactly what many people in this thread described that they do. Yet you are describing those foods as "garbage".

Did you read the entire thread?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I just think those foods don't fuel you. They have no nutritional value.
    All foods have a nutritional value. Some just aren't as dense as others. If I needed some fast energy, would I eat a pop tart or a potato? I can tell you the pop tart would assimilate faster for energy. And wouldn't fill me up as much so I wouldn't barf it up if I had an intense workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    @WinoGelato I used to love those crispy muncho chips. Now they are to salty for me and have a weird after taste.. idk maybe I just associate those foods with feeling guilty after I ate them. I still working out all my kinks in my weight loss journey. I figuring out how to balance my eating habits. I'm not an expert or calm to be

Feelings of guilt related to food, calling things "garbage", changing eating habits so dramatically that you don't enjoy things you used to enjoy... actually none of that sounds balanced or healthy.

It's great that you eat a healthful, balanced diet and that you've lost weight. Many of us have also been successful and strive for a healthful, balanced diet. The difference is, that eating some chips that you enjoy, shouldn't be something that you feel guilty about. They can be incorporated into an overall balanced, healthy diet - in moderation.

What you're describing is exactly why people took offense to the original post about Clean Eating - because it implies that anyone who still eats things like crispy muncho chips (whatever those are) is eating garbage.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Mmm.... Pop Tarts.... (As long as they're not frosted. Can't stand those.)
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options

Any food can be part of a healthy diet - that includes fast food, chips, and gummy bears. Although I hear the Haribo Sugar Free ones may be something to limit...
    Hahaha I think those are the ones that give ya massive case of poops
  • thechaoswithinme
    Options

Feelings of guilt related to food, calling things "garbage", changing eating habits so dramatically that you don't enjoy things you used to enjoy... actually none of that sounds balanced or healthy.

It's great that you eat a healthful, balanced diet and that you've lost weight. Many of us have also been successful and strive for a healthful, balanced diet. The difference is, that eating some chips that you enjoy, shouldn't be something that you feel guilty about. They can be incorporated into an overall balanced, healthy diet - in moderation.

What you're describing is exactly why people took offense to the original post about Clean Eating - because it implies that anyone who still eats things like crispy muncho chips (whatever those are) is eating garbage.
    Well I'm sorry. I'm new to interacting on here. I completely understand where you are coming from now. I need to learn these things myself. It sorta does sound horrible. It's sort of a long story and hard to explain my journey. But you do make some good points.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    This thread is fairly amazing.

And I mean that in a good way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I like sucking on Jolly Ranchers on long rides...good fuel, and they keep my mouth wet...