Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    It definitely matters, it matters in sooooo many ways. Not every calorie is equal number one, eating "junk" is not going to be burned as fast as healthy whole foods that are easily digested and metabolized for the body to use.

Also macros are great but micro nutrients are also very important not to mention timing your macros to get the most effecient use of both micro and macro nutrients.

"Clean" eating and "junk" eating aren't arbitrary terms.. eating clean is eating food that is grown in the ground or had a life at some point, junk eating is processed foods, foods filled with garbage and preservatives... these things have a substantial role in weight loss, weight gain, muscle building etc. Regardless what your goals are its always better to eat clean whole foods,but with that said its also ok to indulge from time to time in moderation this doesn't mean every day or even every week. Results are primarily from nutrition and rest, exercise is the smallest part of the equation

I have a question: when McDonald's makes an Egg McMuffin, do they go through each ingredient with a special tool to strip the nutrients off? Why is a homemade egg in butter on a muffin with canadian bacon and cheese nutritious and clean but Egg McMuffin isn't? Taste preferences aside, it's basically the same thing.

Preservatives number one just to be brief.... think about what a preservative is, its function.. now tell me do you think your body is going to break that down and digest it then metabolize it as fast as food without preservatives? Definitely wont, we weren't made to process those added chemicals so our bodies take longer to utilize those types of foods as fuel which is all food is. Which is why there's carbs that are better than others, meats that are better than others so on and so forth, some foods are more effecient than others.

Example - Simple carbs are amazing after a workout because of their effect on your body when its in that state, simple carbs otherwise are no good and will more than likely be stored as energy (fat)
  • antdelsa
    Options
    Excess calories will be stored as fat.

Doesn't matter if they are from simple carbs or any other food group or whether they are consumed before or after a work out.

Simple carbs consumed after a workout restore glycogen to the muscles as well as release insulin and igf1 the bodies most anabolic hormone this prevents your body from going into a catabolic state from cortisol release, its not about excess calories and more about timing your macro nutrients to be effective. I only mentioned this as an example of how some foods are more effecient than others and also how timing is important to the types of foods we eat
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    Excess calories will be stored as fat.

Doesn't matter if they are from simple carbs or any other food group or whether they are consumed before or after a work out.

Simple carbs consumed after a workout restore glycogen to the muscles as well as release insulin and igf1 the bodies most anabolic hormone this prevents your body from going into a catabolic state from cortisol release, its not about excess calories and more about timing your macro nutrients to be effective. I only mentioned this as an example of how some foods are more effecient than others and also how timing is important to the types of foods we eat

It doesn't matter, or at least matters so minimally as to be totally insignificant, from a weight loss point of view.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    It definitely matters, it matters in sooooo many ways. Not every calorie is equal number one, eating "junk" is not going to be burned as fast as healthy whole foods that are easily digested and metabolized for the body to use.

Also macros are great but micro nutrients are also very important not to mention timing your macros to get the most effecient use of both micro and macro nutrients.

"Clean" eating and "junk" eating aren't arbitrary terms.. eating clean is eating food that is grown in the ground or had a life at some point, junk eating is processed foods, foods filled with garbage and preservatives... these things have a substantial role in weight loss, weight gain, muscle building etc. Regardless what your goals are its always better to eat clean whole foods,but with that said its also ok to indulge from time to time in moderation this doesn't mean every day or even every week. Results are primarily from nutrition and rest, exercise is the smallest part of the equation

I have a question: when McDonald's makes an Egg McMuffin, do they go through each ingredient with a special tool to strip the nutrients off? Why is a homemade egg in butter on a muffin with canadian bacon and cheese nutritious and clean but Egg McMuffin isn't? Taste preferences aside, it's basically the same thing.

Preservatives number one just to be brief.... think about what a preservative is, its function.. now tell me do you think your body is going to break that down and digest it then metabolize it as fast as food without preservatives? Definitely wont, we weren't made to process those added chemicals so our bodies take longer to utilize those types of foods as fuel which is all food is. Which is why there's carbs that are better than others, meats that are better than others so on and so forth, some foods are more effecient than others.

Example - Simple carbs are amazing after a workout because of their effect on your body when its in that state, simple carbs otherwise are no good and will more than likely be stored as energy (fat)

Okay, this is a rabbit hole I'm not willing to jump into. Changing the goalposts, first it was the nutrients and now it's the preservatives with a pinch of simple carbs being magically stored as fat in a deficit. Read the previous pages.

I've read the previous pages, and again there's a major difference in clean and junk eating as well as timing, there's no magic in simple carbs being stored its science. even if one is in a deficit that doesn't mean the body will utilize it first as an energy source, the body uses the best energy source for its current state, what isn't used is stored for later. Nutrients are important and the source in which you aquire those nutrients makes a huge difference....
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Sigh.

Nobody has said nutrients are not important.

But for weight loss, if you eat in a calorie deficit you lose weight, regardless of source of calories.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    Sigh.

Nobody has said nutrients are not important.

But for weight loss, if you eat in a calorie deficit you lose weight, regardless of source of calories.

True in the APPROPRIATE deficit you will lose weight, but if you don't manage the minute details you cannot be in control of what type of weight you're losing, are you losing only fat? Is it mostly water? Are you losing muscle? .... losing weight is great and I'm not going to knock anyone for their goals but until people fully grasp how weight loss works they'll always struggle with their weight, calories in vs calories out is a great starting point but it goes so much deeper than that, what happens when someone gets to their goal weight and isn't happy because they are just skinny fat now? Now what? Whats the next step? So to see someone telling another person its ok to eat garbage food as long as it fits your macros and calorie goals is kind of unsettling because its not good advice, yeah you'll lose some weight but its not healthy and is only going to set you up for issues down the road, depending on your goals
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    *Double Sigh*

Nevermind. Not worth it.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    I disagree.

If your macros and calorie goals are met, you are probably eating a nutritionally sound diet.

No need to stress about the minutiae of it or to deny yourself any treats for weeks on end, as you suggested in your previous post.

As many of us long timers have found ourselves - I lost weight to my goal in 2013 and have maintained it ever since.
    And stayed healthy
    Many other long timers likewise.

I commend you on achieving your goals as well as maintaining them so long, others struggle though and its mainly because of bad habits and eating bad foods, my goals are probably much different than most peoples as a bodybuilder so the minutia is very important, cutting bodyfat is a large part of my program as well as building muscle and maintaining a certain aesthetic, I've lost a good amount of weight myself and when my goal was to lose weight i was very strict and i acheived my goal, now my goal has changed and i have a greater insight in nutrition and hiw the body works and responds to certain foods and how that minutia is very important to acheiving these goals, and although my goals may be different thats not to say the path to acheiving my goal is any different when it comes to cutting body fat. It's a different approach to what some may be used to but no less effective and i know there are men and women in these forums who are like me, same goals, they focus on those little details others may see as minimal and won't make much of a difference, and its for a reason ... all I'm saying is there are many ways to approach weight loss, its not linear and isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out all the time some ways are more effective than other and I'm simply just trying to share one with you .... take it or leave it,

I've dropped from 18% body fat to 11% as per dexa scan and am almost 30lbs heavier than my goal weight but have dropped 3 pants sizes since hitting my goal weight, something I'm doing has to be working and its definitely not just calories in vs calories out thats for sure
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

If your macros and calorie goals are met, you are probably eating a nutritionally sound diet.

No need to stress about the minutiae of it or to deny yourself any treats for weeks on end, as you suggested in your previous post.

As many of us long timers have found ourselves - I lost weight to my goal in 2013 and have maintained it ever since.
    And stayed healthy

I commend you on achieving your goals as well as maintaining them so long, others struggle though and its mainly because of bad habits and eating bad foods, my goals are probably much different than most peoples as a bodybuilder so the minutia is very important, cutting bodyfat is a large part of my program as well as building muscle and maintaining a certain aesthetic, I've lost a good amount of weight myself and when my goal was to lose weight i was very strict and i acheived my goal, now my goal has changed and i have a greater insight in nutrition and hiw the body works and responds to certain foods and how that minutia is very important to acheiving these goals, and although my goals may be different thats not to say the path to acheiving my goal is any different when it comes to cutting body fat. It's a different approach to what some may be used to but no less effective and i know there are men and women in these forums who are like me, same goals, they focus on those little details others may see as minimal and won't make much of a difference, and its for a reason ... all I'm saying is there are many ways to approach weight loss, its not linear and isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out all the time some ways are more effective than other and I'm simply just trying to share one with you .... take it or leave it,

I've dropped from 18% body fat to 11% as per dexa scan and am almost 30lbs heavier than my goal weight but have dropped 3 pants sizes since hitting my goal weight, something I'm doing has to be working and its definitely not just calories in vs calories out thats for sure

Wrong. For weight loss. Strictly weight loss, not health, not nutrition, not body fat percentages, etc, but strictly and ONLY weight loss, it absolutely is as simple as calories in vs calories out. I will never understand why people insist on confusing the goals. We can't be any clearer. Yes, nutrition is important, and is more complicated, but stop saying that "weight loss isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out" when strictly weight loss isn't what you are actually discussing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I disagree.

And stayed healthy

Wrong. For weight loss. Strictly weight loss, not health, not nutrition, not body fat percentages, etc, but strictly and ONLY weight loss, it absolutely is as simple as calories in vs calories out. I will never understand why people insist on confusing the goals. We can't be any clearer. Yes, nutrition is important, and is more complicated, but stop saying that "weight loss isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out" when strictly weight loss isn't what you are actually discussing.

Agreed. It's like saying "In making a carving, the type of chisel matters" when you're talking about doing the fine detail work, and other people are just looking to reduce the size of the piece of wood.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I disagree.

And stayed healthy

The weight loss part of it IS just calories in, calories out.

Nobody said what else you are doing isn't working.
    Nobody said weight loss is linear.
    Nobody said there aren't different approaches to weight loss

And, no, you weren't just trying to share one way with me - ( what would be point of that, I didn't ask for anyone to share their individual approach :s ) you were making statements disputing that calorie deficit is what causes weight loss.
  • antdelsa
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The type of food you eat determines the bodies energy expenditure, how that food is metabolized and used... energy expenditure is a real thing and regardless if one is at a caloric deficit the type of food you eat determines weight loss, the human body processes and uses energy efficiently if it needs to use more energy to process whats coming in just to use that for energy it will find an easier source to use. Jusy because you're eating something it doesn't mean it will be used the way you may think it will, timing is important, underatanding how the body works is important and is far more complicated than calories in vs out of course someone will negate any studies or articles i post as this must be broscience because god forbid anyone make their weight loss journey harder, maybe i should have just lied and did what most of the other people did and supported bad habits and made an excuse as to why its ok to eat *kitten* food and get subpar results
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3302369/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53531/
    I'm sure you all know how to google but this should help get you started ...