Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    Whats overly complicated about eating whole healthy foods? Whats complicated about learning simple nutritional timing?

Its more complicated to continue to eat garbage and try to sort out why you're still struggling with weight issues quite honestly

I didn't post that article with the intention of plagiarism is was 5 in the morning i used quotations and just simply forgot to add the reference, sheesh

Look do what you guys want, if it works for you great, I've never seen more people in my life who claim to be healthy but are so quick to jump down someones neck for saying to eat healthy and clean.

Steak is a great source of protein but in context to my example white fish is digested faster and the nutrients are bioavailable much faster than what a steak would be ...

Not sure what other ridiculous questions have been thrown out here as there are sooo many people who took this opportunity to make am excuse as to why its ok for them to continue to not eat a cleam diet ...

Adherence is very important i get that, consistency is key but having discipline and will power to say no to foods you know aren't going to be the best option are part of this journey, its not about making this easy and all about doing it the right way. I prefer to do things the most efficient and productive way for the most optimal results if thats not your thing then disregard but don't jump down my throat for telling people to eat clean when we all know its the better option, if you have issues being disciplined and sticking with a clean diet thats your issue, but don't make it seem like its impossible to avoid garbage and is soooo hard to do, that defeatist attitude from the beginning is why people fail, I'd rather someone know its possible and can be done and for doing it they will achieve much better results in a shorter period of time. Not one person in here can tell me that a clean diet isn't a better choice its absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and taking advice on this subject from some of you is like taking financial advice from a homeless person, consider the source. How many of you who oppose what I'm saying are still struggling and how many of you can truly and honestly say you have the body you dream of .... you may be happy with your results but lets be honest with ourselves I'm sure there's some room for approvement

Given my appearance, my running performance, how I feel, and the results of my annual physicals, I don't think I'm making excuses when I say it's okay for me to not eat "clean."

In fact, I don't see anybody making "excuses" for how they eat. You failing to make a case for "clean eating" doesn't mean that those who accordingly reject your opinion are making excuses.

I didn't fail to make a case for it, whats being said is just being ignored. Answers may not be what people want to hear but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Simply put, a clean diet of whole foods is and will always be the better choice. The source and the quality of food you eat makes a difference and plays a part in how your body will respond. Weight loss is not as linear as calories in vs calories out , which is the most basic premise and a great starting point but there's so much more to it than that, this is not opinion it is fact. Nutrient timing can aid in the efficiency of weight loss and although some may see it as insignificant to their goals thats not to say that it can't be effective towards them. Every little bit counts especially when it comes to my health but idk maybe thats just me, honestly having some food i know will possibly hinder my goals isn't worth me setting myself back, I've worked too hard and have too much discipline and will power to throw it away just to indulge on some snacks or food that isn't the best option for me, all for what? Temporary happiness? Lol seriously if you need food that bad to make you happy and cannot find anything else in that moment to make you happier than you have issues, food is fuel its not a source of euphoria.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    Whats overly complicated about eating whole healthy foods? Whats complicated about learning simple nutritional timing?

Its more complicated to continue to eat garbage and try to sort out why you're still struggling with weight issues quite honestly

I didn't post that article with the intention of plagiarism is was 5 in the morning i used quotations and just simply forgot to add the reference, sheesh

Look do what you guys want, if it works for you great, I've never seen more people in my life who claim to be healthy but are so quick to jump down someones neck for saying to eat healthy and clean.

Steak is a great source of protein but in context to my example white fish is digested faster and the nutrients are bioavailable much faster than what a steak would be ...

Not sure what other ridiculous questions have been thrown out here as there are sooo many people who took this opportunity to make am excuse as to why its ok for them to continue to not eat a cleam diet ...

Adherence is very important i get that, consistency is key but having discipline and will power to say no to foods you know aren't going to be the best option are part of this journey, its not about making this easy and all about doing it the right way. I prefer to do things the most efficient and productive way for the most optimal results if thats not your thing then disregard but don't jump down my throat for telling people to eat clean when we all know its the better option, if you have issues being disciplined and sticking with a clean diet thats your issue, but don't make it seem like its impossible to avoid garbage and is soooo hard to do, that defeatist attitude from the beginning is why people fail, I'd rather someone know its possible and can be done and for doing it they will achieve much better results in a shorter period of time. Not one person in here can tell me that a clean diet isn't a better choice its absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and taking advice on this subject from some of you is like taking financial advice from a homeless person, consider the source. How many of you who oppose what I'm saying are still struggling and how many of you can truly and honestly say you have the body you dream of .... you may be happy with your results but lets be honest with ourselves I'm sure there's some room for approvement

Given my appearance, my running performance, how I feel, and the results of my annual physicals, I don't think I'm making excuses when I say it's okay for me to not eat "clean."

In fact, I don't see anybody making "excuses" for how they eat. You failing to make a case for "clean eating" doesn't mean that those who accordingly reject your opinion are making excuses.

I didn't fail to make a case for it, whats being said is just being ignored. Answers may not be what people want to hear but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Simply put, a clean diet of whole foods is and will always be the better choice. The source and the quality of food you eat makes a difference and plays a part in how your body will respond. Weight loss is not as linear as calories in vs calories out , which is the most basic premise and a great starting point but there's so much more to it than that, this is not opinion it is fact. Nutrient timing can aid in the efficiency of weight loss and although some may see it as insignificant to their goals thats not to say that it can't be effective towards them. Every little bit counts especially when it comes to my health but idk maybe thats just me, honestly having some food i know will possibly hinder my goals isn't worth me setting myself back, I've worked too hard and have too much discipline and will power to throw it away just to indulge on some snacks or food that isn't the best option for me, all for what? Temporary happiness? Lol seriously if you need food that bad to make you happy and cannot find anything else in that moment to make you happier than you have issues, food is fuel its not a source of euphoria.

Food is euphoric though! What a boring life if one can't eat delicious food. Life's too short. Live a little.

There's a reason food is euphoric and the issue with that is people get addicted to that feeling and chase it, the more you're dependant on that happiness from food the more your body will crave the foods that trigger that release of dopamine and serotonin... once we change our relationship with food thats when it no longer becomes a chore, or a diet, etc. I live and i eat things i like from time to time in moderation but this is a very small percentage of times and it really depends on what my goals are, I'm happier looking in the mirror and seeing that my hard work paid off than i am eating a burger ...thats just me though
  • antdelsa
    Options

Food is euphoric though! What a boring life if one can't eat delicious food. Life's too short. Live a little.

There's a reason food is euphoric and the issue with that is people get addicted to that feeling and chase it, the more you're dependant on that happiness from food the more your body will crave the foods that trigger that release of dopamine and serotonin... once we change our relationship with food thats when it no longer becomes a chore, or a diet, etc. I live and i eat things i like from time to time in moderation but this is a very small percentage of times and it really depends on what my goals are, I'm happier looking in the mirror and seeing that my hard work paid off than i am eating a burger ...thats just me though

And where has anyone that has successfully met and maintained their goals on this thread said they have a problem moderating delicious treats?

A burger happens to be pretty macro friendly FYI, unless you can tell me what makes mincing and forming a patty into a burger, adding some seasoning and salad and putting between some bread does that makes it terrible compared to a seasoned steak with salad and a couple pieces of crusty bread?

The way you describe food relationships is in the extreme, from what can morph into orthorexia right the way through to binge eating or obesity from persistent over-eating. Those are both issues. Finding the middle ground which is what everyone here is advocating? Not an issue. Well, an issue to you apparently but not to anyone else here.

And honestly, if my primary focus is my personal outward appearance more than any other aspect of myself, I'd be thoroughly disappointed with myself.

When i say burger its in reference to fast food, McDonalds, burger king etc. I eat healthy burgers from time to time, turkey or even 93/7 grass fed beef .. but thats a clean option opposed to getting McDonalds simply because its in my calorie and macro budget, totally disregarding cholesterol, sodium, fats, etc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have variety, what I'm saying is you should always choose whole foods over garbage, I'd rather go over my calories and macros with good whole foods than to meet my macros and caloric goals with trash, calories and macros aren't the end all be all solution to weight loss and health the quality of foods is so important in how your body will utilize whats coming in and I'm not sure how this isn't being received by others or how by saying this I'm over complicating it lol its simple
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Whats overly complicated about eating whole healthy foods?

Nothing. What does this have to do with the topic. Also, if someone finds cooking difficult and hasn't learned yet, telling them they must become a scratch cook to lose weight healthfully (which is a lie) is overcomplicating it.
    Whats complicated about learning simple nutritional timing?

There's a ton of conflicting advice and, most important, it's completely irrelevant to most people and will depend on specific goals.

I don't eat garbage (doubt anyone here does, why would they?), or struggle with weight issues related to what I eat.

Again, why not address what has actually been said? Arguing against a strawman rather than what people actually say is rude, IMO.
    Steak is a great source of protein but in context to my example white fish is digested faster

So what? You didn't tell me why I'm supposed to care about this.
    and the nutrients are bioavailable much faster than what a steak would be ...

Why do I need that?

Clean diet = no processed foods. I suspect strongly that you don't eat a clean diet any more than I do. And I don't need to make an excuse for not doing so, I think some processed foods are helpful in achieving my nutrition goals, while others are delicious and fit easily in my overall healthy diet (i.e., some Maytag blue cheese, some Jeni's ice cream).

I do care about eating a nutrient dense diet that serves my health and fitness goals, and I don't see how some ridiculous notion of "eating clean" would further those goals. (And as I understand it, I am on the same page with OP on these issues.)
    its not about making this easy

If you want people to stick with things like eating a nutritious and calorie-appropriate diet, it sure is. Why not? For example, I could say that taste and easiness doesn't matter, eat all food with the perfect nutrient choices blended up into a shake (blech). Or I could pay attention and could them well so that eating my vegetables is a delight and so is getting in my protein and healthy fats, etc.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @antdelsa.

Great that you found a way of eating that works for you and has given you optimum results, but "better choice" for you and for me, among others will be different.
    I am a flexible dieter, and to me it is working perfectly. Food can be fuel, but it is also a source of enjoyment (I am Italian, it is what brings us together and gives joy.. so very sorry that is not the case for you, again, to each their own)

I don't push how I eat on anyone else, what works for me may not work for you.. however I do not like to be told what I am doing is not as good or not the right way, because, clearly it is working so well for me.

I do not compete, and I am not a bodybuilder by traditional definition. However, I would say my results have been pretty beyond amazing (I do have the body of my dreams by the way, and I am always making improvements, in my case I am currently bulking to gain muscle).

I've said many times if it works for you then that is amazing, I'm simply saying there are more effecient and effective ways, flexible dieting is great when it works, trust me i enjoy variety but when the discussion is "clean" eating vs "dirty" or whatever verbage was used then I'm in the side of clean eating, because it is in my opinion the most effective and effecient way, its the healthier option and if ine can adhere to a clean nutrition plan there's not much room for error. This seems to be more of an issue of discipline and will power for people who struggle with weight
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

My relationship with food became immeasurably better when I stopped labelling what I could and couldn't have based on arbitrary rules about what is good for me. I actually eat to fuel my body more frequently now, but there is much less guilt and shame around having some ice cream or a fast food burger.

Likewise.