WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oops Penny at least both countries start with an N. Some of the reasons they say kids are so happy in the Netherlands - and this was Holland - is they have so much less stress on them. Everyone bikes everywhere and the kids don't get homework until they're teenagers. Just the no homework in my house would raise the kids' (and my) happiness level by 90%! :o
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    One of these days I will finally get how to post the photo and comments at the the same time. Looks like my older brother was once more the photographer. I must have a photo with us all somewhere. Look how happy we all were and amazed with Mom's present of an iron. They probably bought it on payments from the Macleod's store. In the 60's because we were in our new house, the old shack didn't have a living room.

Kelly - Congratulations on your win. It must have felt so good to surprise the kids with that help.
    Joaquin is such a cutie. Keep the photos coming.

Cheri- Loved your art journal pages.
    Definitely a strong resemblance between you, your Mom and your daughter.

Becca - You've raised a fine human, you must be so proud of your son.
    The description you gave of breakfast has me laughing.

Margaret - The flower photos made me happy.

Katla - I am the older sister . My older brother is missing from the photo. He probably took it.

Lanette - Thanks for the giggles.

Leigh - You must be so happy with your progress. I have an appointment with my weight loss nurse tomorrow, fingers crossed for good news.

Monday - I impulsively decided to invite my son (he's on vacation), daughter, sister and older brother for lunch. I didn't know it was siblings day but managed to see 2 out of 3. We had a couple of hours of visiting. I am glad I followed the impulse. Mel had just come from the hospital where my cousin is not doing well. Lawrence doesn't want to see anyone but his immediate family from here on in. It is so hard because we were so close. Mel and Lawrence grew up like brothers for about 5 yrs as they lived in the same house. My Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle all lived in the same ranch house while operating a ranch in the Hussar area.

Tuesday - I was so sore in the morning that I needed help getting out of bed. I was pretty blue and just couldn't shake it. Larry texted me later to tell me that I always feel this way on April 11th. The day of my accident. I do still have pain every day from that accident but not quite to the extent it was in the morning. 17 years later and my body remembers.
    It was a difficult day. I did go with my daughter to pick out paint for the Nightstand? she is redoing as an end table for my living room. Apparently my living room needs refreshed and I am okay with that. I can not wait to see what kind of painting she will do for above my love seat. Larry is already having a problem with the colour going in. Keira and I walked from their house to mine. It always lifts my mood to spend it with a grandchild. It was very informative. Lol. She told me she will date when she is about 20. She says "Daddy and Greysyn say I can't ever have a boyfriend" I asked how she would date then. "If I wait until I'm 20, then that will be a man friend". Such good logic.

Wednesday - The search continues for the cheque Larry's brother sent. He phones and we order for him if it is on the internet. He doesn't and won't own a computer. The cheque seems to have disappeared.
    I am trying to declutter, get organized, etc. Today I went through some of my clothes with Jheri. Some things I haven't worn in 10 years , others I am sick of wearing. One of my go to , throw it on tops DD took the scissors to. I'm not a big fan of brown on me but that top was comfortable. Jheri tells me comfort doesn't need to equal ugly.

Looking forward to Easter

- Sharon in Lethbridge ( hoping for a sunny outlook)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Lanette - Was it you who said she would use Italian sausage in the Hairy Bikers recipe? I wouldn't advise that as the chorizo releases paprika oil to baste with which is very important for the flavour. I use a bit more than they recommend and add more paprika to the chicken. I use mini cooking chorizo which I keep in the freezer. You could buy one big cooking chorizo and chop it into appropriate pieces and freeze.

Thanks for more siblings, everyone! <3

Making rabbit stew for tonight. :D

DH doing last minute Easter shopping. I won't have the car for four days.

Wrote some memoir this morning. :D

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,356 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Micah Hudson's Quick Fix DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT on the elliptical. Haven't done that in a while

Carol - welcome!

Paula - are you SURE that member was upset with you because you were a woman? I can tell you that I can't visualize things. Like when I need to choose colors for items that I do at ceramics, I really need to look at a picture and then maybe make a small adjustment. If something doesn't have a picture, I'm in trouble. Another thing - I picked out a few dresses for Denise's wedding. She couldn't see me in the dresses just from the picture, she needed a picture of me IN the dress. The sample dress they had for her was in ivory. She couldn't picture it in white.

Just spoke to Jess. Colby is coming down with her tomorrow. See, the contract he was working on ran out so right now he's not working. He just went to Idaho to see his mother. I wonder if they're going to be here for Easter? See, I just ask that Jess and Vince go to church with me. Only Easter and Christmas. Well, one year Colby went with us. When he was growing up, his mother was VERY VERY intense about him being in the Mormon church. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against Mormon's. But evidently this really made an impression on him. So much that he told Jess that he felt uncomfortable going to church. I never tried to convert him or anything. Heck, I'm not all that religious. Last year they were down here and he stayed at our house while we went to church. I really didn't have a problem with it as long as he didn't have a problem with it. I think his mother has said that he should just go to church with me. But the Mormon influence has affected him a whole whole lot. Not sure what he's going to do when Denise gets married since her marriage will be in a church.

Personally, I think this is something that he should get over. There will be things like this -- Denise's wedding, my asking him to go to church only on Christmas and Easter. You can't run away from every religion. As long as someone isn't trying to convert you, just go. But I'm not going to get in the middle of all this.

Gotta take the water to the place where the other people are taking the CPR, then going to the soup kitchen to give them the donation from the Newcomers, then the post office, then I might stop at Big Lots to see if they have any "bags" I can use for Jess and Colby for their Easter Baskets. If Big Lots doesn't, maybe Beal's Outlet will. Then go to Aldi. If I don't get a bag at Big Lots or Beal's, maybe I'll try Hamrick's.

Michele in NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I agree, a reasonable BMI is better at our age for oestrogen and bone health. I have a friend who has 'dieted' all her life (no dairy etc) and now she has broken her hip and later her ankle. My BMI is around 23.5 and I am happy with that. I am trying to lose my creeper two or three pounds though. That's when I feel healthiest and happiest. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

Heather,
    I think always "keeping after" the 2 or 3 or 5 pounds, once I am where I want to be weight-wise, also keeps me on track with healthier eating all around. If I could eat nothing but candy, ice cream and cakes and maintain a good BMI, I surely would, lol. But I know I need to eat healthy foods for my all-over good health and to be able to fit into and wear my clothes comfortably.

Since I have tiny wrist and ankle bones, I worry a bit about breaks. My "friend fat" is helping protect them up to a point. I had no idea.

My BMI is a bit higher than yours. My DH has similar to yours - 23.7 and the book mentioned that for guys, it's better for them to carry a few extra pounds in the long run - I don't think they are talking beer gut, but overall SubQ fat.

OK time for the walk! B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: I hope you are happy with your new windows. We replaced a number of our windows a couple of years ago and the new ones are much nicer and more energy efficient. We paid them off in one big gulp and I'm still shaking my head over that. There are still six windows that will likely have to be replaced but they are doing okay for now. :ohwell:

Pip: I admire your dedication to fitness and your Apple Watch statistics. I love the photo of you with your sisters and mom. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I'm an only, too. I can't remember a time that I didn't wish for a brother or sister, and when my turn came around I made sure to have two kids. I'm glad that I did. I didn't like being a lonely only. I wish my kids were closer to one another but they stay in contact with each other and visit once in a while. I'm glad for that. :star:

Paula Y: In my life frustration and stress usually result in over-eating. They've never lead to under-eating. :noway:

Lanette: I love the wisdom of "Your Ideal weight is whatever weight you reach when you're living your healthiest and happiest." :smiley:

We'll be leaving for the eye doctor appointment in an hour or so. I can hardly wait for DH to get new glasses. He can hardly wait, either, but we know there will be another wait for the glasses to be made once they verify the prescription. Hopefully the contractors will finish the raccoon work at our house today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Carol from GA ~ I too am Carol from GA! LOL :) I live a bit North of Atlanta in Cobb County (Marietta). Tell us about yourself.

DH and I walked together this AM because he was supposed to get a stress test next week. He walked a mile and called to cancel the test. He has had blood clots in his legs which left scar tissue resulting in venous insufficiency and he has arthritis in his knee. Said there was no way he could be successful on a stress test.

Carol in GA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »

DH and I walked together this AM because he was supposed to get a stress test next week. He walked a mile and called to cancel the test. He has had blood clots in his legs which left scar tissue resulting in venous insufficiency and he has arthritis in his knee. Said there was no way he could be successful on a stress test.

Carol in GA

Carol ... stress tests can be done without the treadmill ... there's an injection that can be given that raises the heart rate to the levels they need to see. My husband, who does not have the conditions your husband has, needed the injection because he was so weak from back surgery. Just a suggestion.

Beth
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    One time my sister and her husband went on NutriSystem. She said she had always wanted to be a size 10. Well she got there but looked like death warmed over. She is the size I am now about a 16 but we both look and breath like we are heavier.

Evansville has a couple of charter schools.One of them, the first one, started with only AP students. You knew if you were accepted there that you had to have an attitude of learning. They have had great success and are one of the best schools in Indiana. They get a lot of awards. I don't know why a lot of people think charter schools are private schools.

Window World sure works fast. They are beautiful and I love the blinds in our patio door. Only problem has been that they didn't order enough of the bedroom size windows. I keep the door to my office closed except for during the day. I would keep it open all day but Charlie hates the moonlight and street lights at night. I wear my sleep mask. So I just put my curtains back on my window. It will take 2 weeks to get those in. I was anxious to see how our cat would react to the screen door in the patio door. But the rucous is bad enough for her that she hasn't come out from underneath my bed. We do wish that we had ordered a picture window for the living room. It looked so nice when they had the window out and we had that view. We will have to get used to this.

Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,060 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Tracie yes it from Como. If you are ever in Twin Cities love to go there even in the summer. In May they open up the Japanese Garden. Although it is probably best to wait until mid June now. From now until mid June there will be many school groups coming through. The weekends are crowded with families. I have many good memories going there too. The Christmas and Easter show are an annual event for me. My photo is taken from there. We went on a Tuesday and by 10:30 there was a good crowd. We have tried to go on Easter. Too crowded.

I did love the color scheme the chose for the flower show this year.

Love the sibling photos. I too would need to scan to show some of our family.

Cheri great photo with daughter.

Sitting with foot in a foot massage bath today. The leg with the knee issue now had plantar fascitis. It is related to the knee. Because of the knee my calf muscle was tight. I also did way too much yesterday and I am paying for it today. It is hard to learn to pace myself. The foot bath is really helping. Keeping my stress and walking down also is helping.

:heart: Margaret