WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Arrived safely at my daughter's house. Off to see my mom (85 years young ) and step dad (93) tomorrow. We will take them out to lunch as I told her not to cook for all of us.

Hugs to everyone.
    Paula Y.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yvonne love scrabble!

Becca love the flowers. I saw a bumble busy around a hanging basket I bought. Spring!!!!!

:heart: Margaret
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    B)
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Coastalgosgal. Love your flowers. I like to take pictures of flowers out walking too! Thanks for sharing!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, I could immediately recognize you in the picture. Still just as beautiful.

DJ, I think you need to change your wording to 'looked' so nice. I DO NOT look like that now.

Well, windows are in. We live in a bi-level so the windows downstairs are smaller than the ones in the bedrooms upstairs. Well they ordered the windows the size for downstairs for the ones upstairs. It will take 2 weeks to get the correct ones in. The one good thing is that the second 1/2 of the windows are going to be due the same time as the second 1/2 for the contractor for the rest of the remodeling. Plus our home and auto insurance is due. So we told them that since they can't finish the windows for 2 weeks then they are not getting their second 1/2. And we can't figure out how to open them!!!!! We needed to leave and they were done inside and just doing trim outside so we didn't ask them. We can go to the storeroom and ask. But I don't have access to these wonderful screens! It does looks weird to have sliders on the living room big window and the bedroom right below it but windows that open up instead of to the side on all other windows. But we have almost all the drapes back up. The most difficult will be left for tomorrow. We are beat.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »

Rori, what a wonderful picture of you!!! Was your hair really short or does the pic just look that way?

It was SHORT. Barely over an inch long. Just felt compelled to get rid of all the dyed hair. It's been growing out, naturally salt and pepper, ever since.

Lenora: Logo on my brother's shirt? I have no idea. Possibly a beer company. He used to be a big drinker until he nearly bled to death internally last May. Today, we're both sober.

Rori
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    :) I love reading all your posts. You all have such interesting lives and I appreciate all that you share.

Today I taught the intermediate line dance class to fill in for my friend who went on a long weekend adventure with her husband. The dances were more difficult than the ones I teach in my beginner class on Friday, but I got to choose which dances to do so I limited it to my favorites. The rest of my day is filled with dog walking and riding the exercise bike. I take the dogs out in the middle of the night for five minutes because Bessie can't wait all night, then I walk them quickly when I get up in the morning. After breakfast I walk them for about two hours---Bessie lasts for about 90 minutes, then I take her home and Sasha and I walk for another 30 minutes. Jake walks the dogs for a few minutes just before lunch. In the afternoon since Jake has been sick, all he feels like doing is sitting in the recliner and watching TV so I ride the exercise bike and knit and watch TV with him. I walk the dogs again just before I go to bed.

:) In 2009 I got down to 110 pounds and was so excited until three health care professionals told me to gain weight for bone health, so I reluctantly added some calories and now weigh between 125 and 127. I am meticulous about planning meals, weighing and measuring food, and staying active to keep my weight within range.

April Resolutions: (with comments)
    * plank three times a week (it may be too soon for me to do this after surgery)
    *meditate daily (sometimes for only a few minutes, but done daily)
    *log food and exercise daily (every day except the long day's adventure to Seattle)
    *putter in the yard twice a week (the weather has been cooperative enough days for this)

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    By the way, I helped my older sister in making my wedding dress. $30 for the lace tablecloth. Some satin for the under dress. And finally the taffeta cummerbund with pearl buttons! I think that was the most expensive part fabric wise.
    Becca
    Thrift Queen since 1984!
    Oregon
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Okay , we will see if I have mastered this photo thing.s4asem7ih1re.jpg
    My oldest brother Mel with his daughter, Janine. He is the one who took all the photos when we were younger. He is a little over 5 years older than me.

Heather - I will be excited to read your memoir. Keep writing.

Michele - I know our oldest (my stepson) developed an aversion to anything slightly religious. He was forced to attend Jehovah Witness gatherings a few times a week. His stepfather had some warped views and that played into it. In recent years he has become tolerant of people speaking about their beliefs. He will attend weddings, funerals, etc but it has taken many years for him to get to this point.

Lanette - I am 5 lbs down, so doing my happy dance (not pretty but enthusiastic!). I love the ideal weight poster. I am ready to kick some tushie!
    Chilly 41 F? Here in Alberta that feels warm in April.

Pip - Great photo. I see the resemblance.

Kelly - You have the patience of a saint. I enjoyed the bible verse with the Jack Sparrow bonus.

Margaret - Our Nikko Yuko Japanese Garden is one of my favourite places. Larry doesn't like it because there are no flowers. He just doesn't get a meditation garden. The sand raking makes him scratch his head. I love the traditional tea ceremony but he found it boring.

Allie - Great walk. Enjoy your time with Taliah. I love egg colouring and the egg hunt. What can I say? I'm a big kid at heart.

Debi - Hi! You are now part of our group.

DJ- You must be counting down the days until the cruise. I know I would be.
    It will be nice for you to have your DD close.

Paula - Glad to hear you arrived safely. Enjoy your family lunch.

Becca - Loved all your photos. You were a beautiful bride.. I detect some mischief in those eyes.

It was busy at work today. I am not looking forward to being there at 6 a.m. They didn't schedule anyone with me so I asked one of the ladies to change her shift to come in with me. I've told them a number of times that I am not going in by myself. I will be upset if the floor cleaners don't come in early tomorrow and we are there for no reason. There I go borrowing trouble. Bad habit.

Weight loss nurse was pleased with my progress. 1- 2 lbs lost per week. Now to keep on with that. I have lost 5 lbs since last time I saw her.
    I have also made an appointment with my doc to see if I can get this disability thing underway. We have quite a bit to cover so I hope the appointment is long enough. It's not until May 2nd though.
    Need to go for my mammo and schedule the dreaded colonoscopy.

Accountant is done our taxes and needs to talk to us. Larry made considerably more money last year than the previous 3 because he wasn't in the hospital for extended periods. I'm stressing already and the phone call isn't happening until 3 p.m. tomorrow.

We have not found the disappearing cheque yet. It has to be somewhere but where is that? I am really hoping that it is not me that misplaced it.

Creedin (my grandson) phoned to apologize because he couldn't put my parents in his family tree. I told him that was fine because they weren't biologically related to him. He felt bad because he so loved "Grassy Grandma" (my Mom). He only knew Dad from stories and photos. Both of Larry's parents were gone before he was born.

Jheri and her painting partner bargained their services for full Y memberships. They were down there today painting the windows. They look awesome but Jheri does prefer to do more art and less lettering. A deal is a deal and they wanted lettering.

Greysyn is returning from Quebec. Jheri is not happy about having to pick him up at 3:30 a.m. I am hoping that he will actually talk to us about his trip. She says he has been very excited and having a great time.

Trying to figure out whether I will need a winter jacket or shorts on Sunday. April in Alberta.

Sharon in Lethbridge
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Debi: Welcome to a great group. Stop by often. :smiley:

Rori: I'm so glad your brother is still with you. I'm glad he paid attention to his health and made changes after he nearly bled to death. :bigsmile: :heart:

Becca: I see the resemblance between your mom and you. You are both lovely women. :flowerforyou:

The work on the house is done. The heat ducts are back in place. The raccoon poop is gone, and we have a new vapor barrier, new insulation, and our furnace is back together and working. WAHOO!!!!!!!

DH's eye appointment went well, his eyes seem stable and new glasses have been ordered! YAY!!!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"That which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    First photo is when we moved into the house that my Dad and Grandpa built.
    Second is of an earlier time when we still lived in the shack. There was nothing on that wall so Mom got a roll from the newspaper and we could draw, write , whatever we liked on it. My sister has that angel from the top of the tree. One year her face melted off and Mom painted one on. She is not pretty but we always thought she was beautiful.
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Accountability Post
    Wednesday's Progress (4/12)
    1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B1, L67, D96, BBS 41= 206g)
    ✔2. Fiber 30g (41g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes, 2 miles, 5000 steps. And the elliptical 5 days a week.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    ✔7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter: Electronics, Craft Supplies, Pantry, ✔Fridge, Cooking and Baking, Dishes and Serving, ✔Linen Closet, Laundry Closet, ✔Medicine Cabinets, ✔Personal Care.
    9. Digital Detox. Track daily timeouts. (Time-out: ? Hrs)

• Fiber. Came mostly from 2 Quest bars.

• Exercise. Got my 5000 steps. But only 13 active minutes. I walked laps at the VA Med Ctr for 13 minutes. Should've done more. Didn't do the elliptical.

• Digital Detox. I was out much of the day. Not a usual day. And... my iPhone kept me company. I did actually put it away more and read magazines and walk - while waiting at the many stops we made. Taking a friend to appointments.

Wednesday was a wacky day for me. Out the entire day. Big lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Then bread and pasta for supper... DH cooked. Too many carbs...

-- Ginger in Texas
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies! My week off from work has been very relaxing yet productive. Today DH and I are spending the day at the NYC auto show (can You guess who picked that?). But will also walk around and people watch - my favorite thing. Gonna be a great day for getting in steps
    :D
    My long check list is getting shorter-hooray--and every day started with exercise so I call that a win. I am a little overwhelmed looking ahead to my busy season but I will take it one step, one event at a time.

Here's to a happy spring weekend to all.

NYKAREN

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Dana so sorry about your mom's attitude. Has her change in personality been brought to the attention of her doctor. Watching parents decline is hard enough.

:heart: Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the photos, ladies. Sharon, your old ones had a real, nostalgic feel for me. Love the detail about the repainted face. <3

Had two big deliveries today. Glad they came today and not tomorrow when we are both out!
    One is our favourite coffee that we buy in bulk (18 packets) It is nearly £1 per packet cheaper than the shop.
    We also buy our muesli that way. Free delivery and I don't have to carry it! 9 kgs!
    The other was our new kettle :drinker: MUCH better than the other one and British made. :D
    Plus party plates, mugs, candles, tablecloth, plastic wine glasses etc. :D Plus blackout plastic for the grandchildren's bedroom next week. Getting organised now. Hooray!

DH is at the cricket. I have typed some memoir and had my super, crazy Asian style soup with king prawns for lunch. Super spicy! :D Shiritaki noodles make it come in at 250 calories. I only have it when DH is out. B)

Going to watch a French film this afternoon.

Dinner is Monkfish Tandoori kebabs. One of my very favourite things. Very expensive though, but it's worth it occasionally.

DJ - I'm getting excited for your cruise! <3 Mine isn't until August.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx