WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    Holy crap grits u wrote a book!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    nancy congrats on lowering your cholesterol! Go you!

Becca my dad wrote us a very special letter the week before he died it is a most treasured gift from him

Meg thinking of you and sending strength.

Lots of steps today 16,000 in NYC so far but we ate cheap pizza which I am sure is loaded with fat and salt!

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Meg - Sending you good thoughts from across the pond. <3<3<3

Welcome Aileen! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    edited April 2017
    Aileen - welcome to the group! I had my most successful weight loss with Weight Watchers throughout the years, off and on since 1970's. A little over a year ago I had problems with their website changes - since I accessed it thru a PC and not a smart-phone, it was the pits and expensive, plus they stopped having meetings I'd attend just to weigh in so I dropped out. About 10+ lbs later I found this group toward the end of last year. Am back on WW online as of a few weeks ago, I see they worked out the bugs. Slowly but surely getting the pesky pounds under control. Not sure if you saw our discussion the past few days about the benefit of a little more "pudge" after meno - my goal weight is now at the tip-top of the WW range for my height and it's pretty close. Main thing is I want my clothes to fit again AND not gain more weight! This group is great-- however and whatever a person is doing to get fit, there's a wonderful gang of cheerleaders as you know.

I think MFP is a bit better on the tracking and the ability to break out the sugar grams (if a person is cutting back on that which I am), tho WW factors that in, plus I like the way MFP exercise is addressed.... I like the way WW give kudo's and hooray's on their screens for steps :D - there's a lot to like on both of them for me.

So, way to go on the running and your goals!!!!

wessecg - I love the furniture, wall color, rug, everything just fine. I agree with Leigh and Kelly and others about adding a complimentary painting/poster/print for a little visual interest over the sofa. My dining room is actually a shade darker than your wall - oak floor and table, but if I had the room I'd take a nice recliner the color of yours in a heartbeat. Of course, I know nothing about design. My whole house is eclectic and crazy. I gave up on "house beautiful" a long time ago with several colors of dog and cat puke on the carpet and this strange dirt which surrounds where DH sits- spilled coffee, cookie crumbs, something that was on his house shoes he stepped in when he went into the shop for something that no amount of stain remover can take out, etc. Next house will have hardwood (or laminate) floors and throw rugs. Actually have throw rugs on the carpet right now! The dog and cat aim for the light grey wall to wall tho...and of course behind the furniture and under the bed too. I need an emoji for barf, lol.

Nancy, way to go on your cholesterol dropping! Wonderful news!! Pat yourself on the back for us!!

Becca, sorry you lost your mom so young but neat that you keep her so close in your heart <3<3 . Your wedding dress was gorgeous!!!! Just perfect!!!!

Meg - (((hugs <3 )))) going out to you.

Lenora - love your long posts, haven't had a chance to go thru this one yet.

Heather - tandoori monkfish sounds yummy! I've had monkfish a few times in my life and loved it. Have you always been such a great cook trying new and exotic recipes? DH is not into "new" food at all so I no longer make "family" meals with new things. He'll get his spaghetti and meatballs, while I'll try some kind of curry soup or something. I try to cook so we have lots of leftovers.

No time to cook = too busy reading the MFP Women Ages 50+ posts!!!!
    >:)

Since I've been upping my steps to between 8000 and 10000 per day, my BP is getting much better and I'm going to email my doc about cutting the meds in half.

Also got an email this morning - am going back to work next week, so far only Monday and Tuesday, told the boss I'd give them 5 to 6 hours per day. Sitting on my tush doing data entry will mean not as many steps but a bit of extra $$. Will be fun to see my favorite peeps again.

Catch you later!!

Lanette
    SW WA State where the sun shines one minute and it rains like mad the next.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Meg ~ Still sending good thoughts for you and you husband.

Lenora ~ We have fought carpenter bees at our rental home for years. It is made of cedar siding that was populr in the 1970's. The bees can be very irritating with their buzzing. DH has tried filling the holes with steel wool and spraying but they always come back. At some point we will have to replace the siding due to damage.

Kelly ~ That was a nice gesture for the tot's mother to give you a bottle of wine. Enjoy! We are not having company on Easter but are going to church with DS & his family. Will go to his house afterward to have ham and sides and hide eggs.

Lanette ~ I hear you on the puppy/cat stains. The last 24 hours have been terrible with the Pom. He practiaclly lives on the screened in porch during the day; so I went out there with the hose and a bucket of Clorox water and hosed it down and mopped the floor. Got rid of a lot of pollen along the way.

Carol in GA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,747 Member
    Carol ... I love the furniture and think all the ladies have great ideas. I'm no decorator either ... terrified of color actually ... but I liked Lenora's ideas of a larger rug that ties things together.

Lenora and Pip and Heather ... I was laughing at Pip's comment as well!!

Meg ... My heart just aches for you ... Know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you. Hang in there. Hugs.

Welcome to the new ladies!

Beth near Buffalo
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Heather- I had no idea what a monk fish was! I looked it up and it sounds delicious! I'm glad that you enjoyed it! If we lived closer I would hope that you would invite me for supper :)

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    Carol in GA,

Any idea why your poor Pom is sick?

Sophie ate grass this morning when she went out so I was waiting for her to upchuck...she didn't. We discovered the hard way that people food, especially bread/pizza crust, beef and chicken (more than a pea-sized morsel) give her an upset tummy. Sometimes she has a "gurgly tummy" so I wet a finger, dip it into baking soda and rub that onto her tongue which helps, and DH lays her on her back on his lap and rubs her tummy. I think that really helps as well. I remember our beagles would eat EVERYTHING and I don't recall them ever upchucking in the house. Anyhow not sure what was bugging her this morning unless she cleaned up something the cat deposited that we didn't catch. >:)

The cat...I give up. Hairballs I guess, I've tried every hairball remedy food known to man plus try to put some of that hairball goo on her paw which theoretically she's supposed to lick off instead of wiping it on the wall and/or the carpet...hence I doubt I put enough on her to do much good. I think it was Beth who cleaned under the bed recently and found cat barf? LOL.

Lately I've been giving her a bit of canned cat food which she loves and in appreciation she only barfs on the rug in the garage we wipe our feet on coming into the house.

DH tries to help clean up after her but his method of cleaning is wiping up the big chunks with a paper towel and calling it good....mine is actually using a bit of soap and water quickly before the stain sets. :'(

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Pip – DAMN, I did! Hit post and never looked back! RITFLMAO! I think I’d have to admit that I spent all morning typing that. Now to get back to my book, “Dummy Line” by Bobby Cole, [not me]; 1st in a series of 3; and, also have his ‘stand-alone’ book.

Aileen and Jimilyn – Welcome; on the last day of the month; Barbiecat will post a ‘link to the next month’; when you get there – make sure you bookmark the page by clicking on the outline of the star at the upper right-hand corner. After that all you need to do to get back here is click on the gray star between the gear and the bell. If you have not already done so for this month, you need to. Some of us open up a word processing program and put it side-by-side to the community site so we can response and not run the risk of losing a post. One thing you cannot do, unless you save your current post, is to go back a page … it will disappear.

Heather – At least you know that he is ‘reaching out’ if he is doing that. Maybe someone close to him, whether a friend, or a neighbor will check in on him.

Lanette – Time just gets away from me, since I spend all day “Home Alone”; but, I read, I have my fur-babies to entertain me. Cracker, my Jack Rat or Rat Jack (depending on the day); and “Tux” my black-and-white Tuxedo cat. Tux is an ‘outside cat’ for control of little beasties, like mice, chipmunk; and, occasionally parts of birds and rabbits (he usually leaves just the ears or the feet. I notice that when he starts losing the thick coat he has during the winter … hair along the bottom of one of the boards on our house, right at the line of his back. Sometimes I want to go out there when my back itches and do the same. It’s bad when it itches and nobody is around to scratch it. Louis is beginning to understand what I mean when I tell him to scratch it where thee bra line is. I have a sensitivity to latex; and, not ‘perky’ enough to go ‘braless’. Maybe eating grass is why Cracker hasn’t been eating her food the past couple of days; but, she hasn’t seemed to have had any issues with it. She is pretty used to hearing ‘et ah’ when she is doing something we want her to stop.

Carol – Our home is made of cypress; but, they still bore in; at least it doesn’t cost any extra for the bug man to spray for them. I’m not quite used to this ‘new’ kid that comes; we had Jeremy for years, then he got a ‘big promotion’ and started doing their big businesses; so then we got Sonny and it took him a while to warm up and talk; then, like Jeremy we’d talk for a while. I can’t even remember what this kid’s name is; because when he started he got Sonny’s cellphone and I had it programmed into my phone list.

Lenora
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Heather me too!

Lenora I mentioned the bumble bee because it is so early to see one of those up here. We only have the spring flowers like tulips and pansies.

Jimilyn welcome!

Nancy WTG!

:heart: Margaret
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    KJLaMore, Margaret Turk, GRITSandSLUTS Thanks for your thoughts and concerns. My mom moved in to an apt here in town. My sister moved in with her. She was from Las Vegas. I guess they are doing ok together. My sis and I text each other, but just for "how are you?" I took her to the oncology center for infusions twice a week and traveled into town twice a day. That was about 50 miles a day.
    Hopefully she will be alright. Thanks again!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Hello to my ladies!
    Today I had a well adult checkup. My doctor retired so I had to meet up with the new doctors assistant I picked. My online medical record stated that I needed updated blood work, weight screening, and hypertension screening updated. So I got the lab work done, and hard a nice chat with the doc.

It was nice to get my point across that my appointments are not always weight related. I am not a smoker, or drinker, nor do I take any medications. I get really annoyed when in the past, they would just mark it weight related, because well look at me.. Those times are over, and I consider myself a healthy obese person. Am I not facing facts you ask? Well, my philosophy is that there has to be some sense of acceptance to how I am now, in order to get where I wish to go.

I do sometimes miss not attending my clothing optional resort. As a large woman, I made sense there. Heck, life made sense there! I was friends with what I would call "the beautiful people" of the world. In the textile world, those types of people would not have been friends with me, plain and simple. But there, my opinions mattered, and people looked beyond face value. When you see 100 people by the pool, all nude, well you see people, not differences. On the downside, there was an undercurrent of swingers, something I never recognized because I was busy dealing with my sons. I was a mom and treated as a mom. As they got older, and did their own thing at the resort, I was looked at differently. One gentleman, I shall never forget, told me he had always admired my fat roll.... What the heck do you say to that??!! His wife was really slim so I guess I was the opposite of her. I think I just swatted him, saying you NUT!

Becca
    Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    stats for the day:

wahoo hrm working-
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 11.42min. 15amph, 142mhr, 2.9mi = 119c
    apple watch- 104c
    ROPE PULL- 20min, midset, 134mhr, lvl7, 65ftpmin, 1860ft = 112c
    apple watch- 130c
    JACOBS LADDER- 10min, 576ft, 46ftpmin, 137mhr, = 93c
    apple watch- 90c
    ELIPTICAL- 10min, 131ahr, 141mhr, 4incline, 4resistance, 922strides, 91average strides per min., 1.07miles = 106c
    apple watch- 103c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.32min, 139mhr, 13amph, 1.4mi = 75c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride from puyallup 2 sumn station- 13.45, 13.5amph, 152mhr = 153c
    apple watch- 127c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.13min, 9.55min mi, 158mhr, .5mi = 67c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.22min, 9.34min mi, 160mhr, .4mi = 56c
    apple watch- 54c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 0.32min, 7.7amph, 153mhr,, windy and sprinkles, 2.6mi = 221c
    apple watch- 158c

total cal 946