April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

My hip still hurts. I rested it yesterday and tried walking today. It felt stiff but didn't hurt too much when I walked. But after sitting for a while it starts to hurt again. I'm really bummed that this is going on. I want to run, but I have too much pain. I don't want to go to the doctor because I have enough going on right now. But if it doesn't get better in a few days I may have to.

Meanwhile I can't run and it's making me crazy,and all the run posts on here are making me envious. I'll give it through the weekend to rest and evaluate then. Blah.

Wish you a speedy recovery! Rest does make a difference. In March I was compelled to take a break from lifting and running because of hip pain. It was frustrating but I could walk. In the end rest did heal the pain. It's always better to consult the doctor if pain is not going away.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

After missing my goal 3 months in a row, I finally achieved (bested) my goal last month, having run 61.43 miles. This month my goal will be 50 miles.

My husband and I planned a trip to Nashville at the end of the month. We will probably be walking a lot. My husband doesn't share my love for running.

4/12....4.36 miles on the treadmill. I forgot how much I dislike running on the treadmill. The weather was nice, but my plans originally were to attend meeting at work. When I found out the meeting was postponed, I opted for the treadmill instead ( not wanting to run in the dark). 55 minutes at average pace of 12:45 with heart rate at average max heart rate of 81%. I did feel more energized after my run.

Trying to find a half marathon later in the year. I think that I might sign up for the Indy half marathon for women....September 30th. It is one of the largest half marathons for women only.

4/12....4.36 miles
    4/9....10 miles
    4/8....8 miles
    4/2....9 miles
    Total ....31.36 miles
    goal...50 miles

Indianapolis Mini Marathon (Half Marathon)....May 6

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Speaking of data nerdiness, I'm enjoying Runalyze.

These are some of its features:

https://help.runalyze.com/en/latest/features.html

I especially like how it gives me my current Marathon Shape in its calculations.

1ftqxbic0sah.jpg

Today it tells me I'm at 71%.

It also says I don't need a rest day tomorrow, so that's always nice. :smile:
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Orphia That looks interesting; yet another site I may plug my runs into!

Today's group consisted of just two others this time, so we decided to take a different route to the usual one. Humid as heck though, even at that time in the morning.

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16
    13 - 8.89

Total: 97.51 / 175 miles
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.
    4/6 - 5.05 miles.
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/8 - 6.31 super hilly miles.
    4/9 - Too many hills :-(
    4/10 - 5 miles.
    4/11 - 4.93 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/12 - 4.5 miles.
    4/13 - 4.9 miles. Some hip soreness that I am going to have to keep an eye on.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4
    4/6 4 miles - 60.4 << Daily Double
    4/7 REST DAY
    4/8 16 miles - 76.4
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 83.4
    4/11 7.5 miles - 90.9
    4/12 REST DAY
    4/13 8 miles - 98.9

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    April Running Challenge

4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.
    4/3 Strength, 12.3 miles stationary bike, yoga
    4/4 9.8 miles stationary bike
    4/5 12.35 miles stationary bike
    4/6 40 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes stationary bike
    4/7 40 minute slow dog walk
    4/8 95 minutes of elliptical
    4/9 1.1 mile run, 3.4 mile dog walk
    4/10 40 minutes elliptical
    4/11 3 mile run...yay!!!
    4/12 3.1 mile run in the morning and walked Spotzilla 3 miles in the evening

Goal: 20.3 of 150

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26: 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)

The calf was tighter yesterday morning, not painful but definitely tight. When I walked Spotty in the evening, I ran slowly for a bit, but my calf protested. So, no running today. I just wanna run, but my body is not letting me...Grrr!!! This also means I won't be ready for a long run this weekend, and that makes me sad. :'(
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was supee busy, so I didn't get a chance to really comment on anything.

@WhatMeRunning I know your run didn't go as planned, but thankfully you were able to help that couple. Hopefully the little dog will be ok.

@7lenny7 Great race report and loved the pics!! Sounds like they had some delicious food too!!

When I left Milwaukee, I was 22 and NOT a runner. Lol! However, if you're looking for scenic trails to run, I would check out Washington County and Waukesha County (not Waukesha the city, but the towns on the outskirts.) I would think the Kettle Moraine State Forest near Pike Lake would be fun. If you like fishing, you could also do some of that either before hand or afterwards if you have time. The Holy Hill area is nice too. Keep in mind I've never run these areas but used to frequent them as a kid. Also, I never caught a fish at Pike Lake but tried a lot!! However I do know people that catch fish there a lot. It's quite possible my dad didn't want to deal with gutting and cleaning the fish. Lol! If you don't have time to get out to the trails, you can run along the lakefront, which would be a lot closer to your son's school. (I think you said he goes to Marquette?) Veterans Park is probably a good place to start from.

@RespectTheKitty Hope your hip feels better soon. It sucks not being able to run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Had a great run this morning to wrap up my final week of this base building cycle. Next week is a reduced mileage week (that's going to drive me crazy but it's good for me). :smile:

I'm tweaking my next base building cycle a bit to incorporate that 1-2-3 method that @girlinahat was talking about. My original plan was introducing mid-week long runs on this next cycle and I think this method would fit in rather nicely, although it does mean a couple extra miles per week. I am not too worried about those extra miles based on how this last cycle went (I am pretty sure my chain can handle it), but I will be running easy that first week and being very attentive to how I feel. The adjusted plan would be:
    Sat: Long (12 miles)
    Sun: Easy (4 miles)
    Mon: Med (8 miles)
    Tue: Easy (4 miles)
    Wed: Med (8 miles)
    Thurs: Easy (4 miles)
    Fri: Rest

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 4 miles

60 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning nice job playing dog catcher! It's a shame the whole incident happened. You handled it well.
    @MobyCarp and @lporter229 have an AWESOME run and a great time in Boston!!
    @juliet3455 that looks like a fantastic course! Looks like it could get pretty windy too.
    @orphia Runalyze looks like an interesting site for runnerds, something I could get lost in....must...resist...
    @MNLittleFinn so what kind of tattoo is your wife going to get?
    @BeeerRunner I did run the Kettle Moraine State Forest once, just south of Delafield, but it was a crazy ice rink that day. When I go back in May to move my son back home I was planning on stopping there again before picking him up but now that he's starting to take an interest in running I may stop on the way home with him. I'll check out the other places you mention. I see you can pick up the Ice Age trail at Pike Lake, which looks like some great single track. One time we visited I did run about 10 miles along the lakefront. It was a great way to see the area! Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, he's at Marquette.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 - I also love running at night with no light (for me that means early morning though). There is plenty of ambient light around. It gets so serene and the way things look in that kind of lighting is amazing! I have to give you some major kudos for having the cajones to do that kind of thing on woodland trails IN THE RAIN!!!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    SHOE QUESTION: Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but anyone ever wear the Air Zoom Pegasus? Looking for a new shoe and it mostly gets good reviews, is very easy to find in my size and priced well.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    SHOE QUESTION: Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but anyone ever wear the Air Zoom Pegasus? Looking for a new shoe and it mostly gets good reviews, is very easy to find in my size and priced well.

@karllundy I used to have three pair of those and loved them. They were all the 31 model. I think it's up to 33 or 34 now. I found them for $50 on clearance and took a chance on them. I liked them so much they were the shoe I wore for my marathon last year. My youngest son took a liking to that pair and now he wears them. I've saved one of my other pair for him when those wear out. My older son just started running in my third pair, leaving me with none, but if they get good use out of them, great.

What I like about them is that I was able to get the cushion I wanted but it had more responsiveness than my Glycerins or Gel-Numbus shoes.

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Aim: 130k

4/2: 13.1k -casual run-
    4/3: 1.5k -cause I am lazy, that's why-
    4/4: 4k -as c/d of leg day training-
    4/6: 5k -after gym-
    4/7: 8.5k -intervals-
    4/8: 9.1k -various surfaces-
    4/9: 12.5k -trail-
    4/11: 4.5k -c/d from strength training-
    4/13: 9.7k -intervals-

67.8/130k

Stay free of injuries!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @karllundy wrote: »
    I know a few that swear by Pegasus. If you can find for the same or similar price, I think Vomero holds up slightly better and is more comfy in the long run, but at MSRP, there really isn't' a better shoe.