Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »
    @karllundy wrote: »
    SHOE QUESTION: Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but anyone ever wear the Air Zoom Pegasus? Looking for a new shoe and it mostly gets good reviews, is very easy to find in my size and priced well.
    I know a few that swear by Pegasus. If you can find for the same or similar price, I think Vomero holds up slightly better and is more comfy in the long run, but at MSRP, there really isn't' a better shoe.
    I love the Vomeros...I haven't tried the 12s yet as I bought several pairs of the 11s when Nike started heavily discounting them to clear stock. I'm on the last pair now, so I can't wait to see how the 12s perform.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

That's a tad faster than my HM PB!! And I only drank way less than 13 beers AFTER the race!! I'd pass out for sure drinking that many beers so fast. Even if they were non alcoholic beers, that would be over a 12 pack of carbonated beverages sloshing around in your stomach!! Yikes!!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4 miles on the dreadmill + cross-training - zumba
    4/2 - 12.7 mile long run (night on a crappy couch-worth of sleep, and stomachache from a new gel)
    4/3 - rest
    4/4 - 9 mile glorious run in the misty rain / 1 mile treadmill + cross-training - strength training
    4/5 - 5 mile slow recovery run + cross-training - strength training
    4/6 - 8 mile rainy/windy run + cross-training - zumba
    4/7 - 9 mile glorious run at Piermont Pier/Tallman Mtn. State Park
    4/8 - cross-training - zumba awesomeness!
    4/9 - JFK Runway 5k Race + 10 miles to get to my planned 13 for the day
    4/10 - rest
    4/11 - 8 miles in the ‘it’s way too hot for early/mid-April’ heat (84° when I finished) + strength training
    4/12 - 7 miles in the comfortable rain + strength training
    4/13 - 5 mile short, slowww recovery run

April Total: 81.8/170

428.8 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Today was just a short, slow 5 mile recovery run. And man is it ever beautiful out! Felt surprisingly good considering I ran the last 2 days but also did barbel squats, leg curls, and weighted calf raises last night. Now I really really really don't wanna be stuck here at my desk for the rest of the afternoon, ughhh!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    SHOE QUESTION: Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, but anyone ever wear the Air Zoom Pegasus? Looking for a new shoe and it mostly gets good reviews, is very easy to find in my size and priced well.

I'm wearing my 31s right now! They're just so comfy. I was trying out some new shoes in my office last week and when I put these back on I thought why do I want new shoes?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 she made an appointment for tomorrow. 4 triangles for earth wind fire and water.... looks like I'll be registering tonight. Last year, the slowest person in my AG averaged 20 min/mile at the 50k, so at least I k ow there are other sloths who run it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I know someone who bet his mate he could drink a half marathon in beer faster than the friend could run a half. He did. He drank 13 1/2 beers in 1 hour and 13 minutes. Pints. Of Guinness.

Let's just say this guy could use everything MFP had to offer.....
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Recently, there was a discussion here about minimalist running. I almost forgot to mention this, but last night when I walked my dog in the park, there was a guy that was running in his barefeet!! On the sidewalk...not in the grass!! (The grass along the sidewalk often has dog poo and fire ant beds so you'd have to really watch yoyr step.) I could hear his heels hitting hard so not sure if he worked his way up to that or if it was his 1st try.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    @7lenny7 once again I have to say how much I like where you're running. That sounds a fantastic run, dark or no dark!!!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    @garygse Vomero is an easy shoe to transition to Free from, as well. That's what I did.

With Nike, there's a good possibility of getting off-price at a Factory or Clearance store.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    No run for me again today. A surprise migraine (as in it came on suddenly with no real warning). Just what I want for Easter weekend

:'(
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Today I wanted to do an hour at a decent pace, so anywhere north of 10K in that hour was my aim. Did not know how it would sit with having not been particularly careful about what I'd eaten today though, and I did have wind for nearly the whole route. About 2k from home I thought I wasn't going to make it, but in the end that worked well as it forced me to slow right down so for once I had a proper cooldown to my run. In the end I managed 13.7km in 1:17 and felt really good as with exception of my 5K attempt last week all my runs recently have been at an easy pace.

exercise.png
    2-Apr: 19k easy
    5-Apr: 5k very easy
    6-Apr: 12k easy
    7-Apr: 5k PR attempt + 2.4k cooldown [5K PR @ 24:28]
    10-Apr: 4.3k + 4.1k easy
    11-Apr: 11.9k + 5k easy
    13-Apr: 13.7k MP

Upcoming Races:
    14-May-2017: Bexhill Starfish Marathon (DNS)
    9-Jul-2017: Southend Half Marathon
    12-Aug-2017: Hadleigh Castle 10K - Hill trail race (Possible*)
    16-Sep-2017: Kew Gardens 10K (Possible)
    24-Sep-2017: Windsor Half Marathon (Possible*)
    29-Oct-2017: Thurrock 10k (Possible)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/04 4.04 miles
    03/04 3.10 miles
    05/04 3.51 miles
    06/04 4.14 miles
    07/04 3.08 miles
    11/04 3.01 miles
    13/04 3.52 miles - missed yesterday as didn't feel well but got a run in this evening followed by a massage to back neck and shoulders, feeling very relaxed!

@7Lenny7 - great race report and photos!

url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/w1IQ6Hw/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals
    4/5 – 6.85 group run
    4/6 – 8.18 tempo intervals
    4/7 – rest day
    4/8 – 12.07 paced run
    4/9 – 7.83 almost easy 60 minutes
    4/10 – 4.51 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/11 – 7.81 warm up, speed work, cool down
    4/12 – 3.81 easy 30 minutes
    4/13 – 5.45 easy/MP workout
    4/14 – travel day

April total to date – 89.35

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – Earlier in taper, I had a runny nose. It was kind of a wimpy runny nose, and I wasn't sure whether it was a mild cold or just random allergens bothering me. Then after Tuesday's Boston Send Off party, it moved into my left sinus. Definitely a cold. In taper, I worried that it would sap my energy so I couldn't run a full marathon. Got out and ran yesterday, and again today, and it's winding down. Better yet, it has stayed in my head and doesn't appear to have any impact on how I run easy or MP, at least for the short taper distances. Hopefully it will have run its course by Monday.

Then today I got one of the canned emails from the Fleet Feet training program, where the first time half marathon runners are going into taper next week. It lists a bunch of things to expect in taper, and one of the is "catch a cold." Huh. Never happened to me before, but it's good to know it's common. Then again, this might be the first training cycle since my first half marathon where I got through a traditional training program and into taper with nothing unusual happening. And for that first half, I think the program didn't work me as hard as I could have tolerated before taper.

So today's assignment was 20 minutes easy, 10 minutes at MP, 10 minutes easy. Not challenging physically, but a last chance to practice holding the line on MP. The idea is to run easy in the 7:45 to 8:15 range, and run MP around 7:30. That's slower than any of the calculators say I should run MP, but the major goal is avoiding injury.

Set out to run a familiar route with some small rolling hills, just to add some realistic terrain to pace control. Got to 20 minutes going up the second small hill, and it required some effort to put in a 7:30 pace going up the hill. Then it was hard to keep the pace down when the terrain got easier. Did the best I could, and took about 20 seconds of messing with the Garmin after the 10 minutes of MP before I remembered I was supposed to slow down more! Then I ran beyond the 40 minutes total to get back to my driveway. In my taper-confused brain, I justified it because tomorrow will be a travel day with no running, and if I were going to club practice I would have got a 2 mile warmup before this workout anyway.

So how did the pace control go? Mixed results. I left autolap on at one mile, and manually lapped the Garmin at 20 minutes and again at 30 minutes. Results: Mile 1, 8:03; Mile 2, 7:45, partial mile to finish 20 minutes, 7:35 pace. Mile 1 of MP, 7:19; partial mile to finish 10 minutes, 7:19 pace. At least I was consistent. Next mile, 7:44; partial mile to get back to my driveway, 7:36 pace.

So it looks by pace like my control is still lacking. Then I go look at the HR data. 33:18 in Zone 1, 6:31 in Zone 2, 0:36 in Zone 3. Average HR 124, max HR 144. The higher HR numbers are on the hills, with a blip early on because I didn't warm up first. So by HR I look okay.

Maybe I should wear my Vivofit on my right wrist in Boston, and be happy if I can keep my HR below 129 for the first 6 to 10 miles.

Oh, well. On Monday all the doubts will get resolved.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Apr 02     5.0        5.0
    Apr 05     4.3        9.3
    Apr 07     6.4       15.7
    Apr 08     4.3       20.0
    Apr 09     5.0       25.0
    Apr 11     5.1       30.1
    Apr 13     5.1       35.2

exercise.png
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.10.17 - 4.16.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 10.6 m. 9:33 pace.
    W - 8.5 m.
    T - 8 m. - Hoping for a couple longer runs this 3 day weekend.
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total -
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wohsRCl/exercise.png

Hmm... for some reason it won't update... I'm actually at 21.4 miles. I'll wait and see if it's fixed tomorrow.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/3/17 - 3.8 miles
    4/5/17 - 3.2 miles
    4/6/17 - 4 miles
    4/9/17 - 3.2 miles
    4/10/17 - 1.2 miles
    4/11/17 - 3.3 miles
    4/13/17 - 3.7 miles

22.4/40 miles for April

Good run today. It rained a little which was kind of nice. We don't get nice rain a lot. Usually it is drought or thunderstorms but no in between. So that was my first time to run in the rain.

I really enjoy reading everyone's post. @7lenny7 I loved your race report. You make me want to run even more. And @girlinahat those photos were awesome. Kind of scary, but still awesome.

exercise.png