Other people's reactions to your weight loss or diet

Options

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    For the most part everyone was great. Either they were just like, damn you look great, or they were just happy I was leaving more donuts for them. :D The few who asked how were hoping I'd tell them I found a pill on a late night infomercial, or I rubbed a magic lamp at Antique Roadshow and got a wish. Sadly no, so they lost interest in causation after that.

The only negative reaction I got was from my mom and she was a real PITA. Since I was obviously losing weight, she had to know how. I told her. Paleo, keeping an eye on total calories, and MMA. Then she had to wield her Google Fu to find every negative article she could dig up about "crash dieting" and email them to me, then call to "discuss" which meant an hour of her yarping at me about how unhealthy I was being because I wasn't living on Lean Cuisines and rice cakes. She'd also call my brothers to discuss my "weight issues" and "unhealthy eating habits" and tell them about how I had diabetes (I do not) and high blood pressure (115/75) and how I'd die of a heart attack before long. That'd get one of them to calling me to try to sell me Isagenix. Seriously, if I wanted to drink my dinner it'd come in a bourbon bottle. She'd go to Whole Foods and buy some uber $$$ whole wheat bread she liked and mail it to me. And of course, get mad because I wouldn't eat it. I'm gluten intolerant and when I eat bread my allergies and asthma think it's time to come for an extended visit, but never mind that. Also I needed to stop MMA because I was too old and would get hurt. Plus it's unladylike. What I needed was a treadmill so I could walk at home. THEN she'd go buy me really ugly, unflattering clothes 2 to 3 sizes larger than I'd ever worn in my life and mail them to me. Crazy train full steam ahead.

okay, this one wins for craziness. Wow. How do you cope with your mum?

• NanP135
    NanP135 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well I had another one tonight, I participate in a mainly mens sport and we had our league opener and I am seeing some people for the first time and got many nice compliments but then another guy asked as soon as I sat down to eat. So How much weight have you really lost....I think I was shocked so I said the amount but then felt weird afterwards,,,,I need a good line as I feel this is not the last time this will happen. Anyone have any ideas???
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    NAP150 wrote: »
    Well I had another one tonight, I participate in a mainly mens sport and we had our league opener and I am seeing some people for the first time and got many nice compliments but then another guy asked as soon as I sat down to eat. So How much weight have you really lost....I think I was shocked so I said the amount but then felt weird afterwards,,,,I need a good line as I feel this is not the last time this will happen. Anyone have any ideas???

"A Lot, it has been QUITE the journey!" And then switch the subject to your latest fitness venture....

If you have more to lose, then "not enough". If you are goal then "just the right amount".

I've told my boss what I've lost, but that is a hell of a lot different than some random guy asking.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I get one of the following from my recent 15 pound loss over 2 months
    1. Girls in my Pilates/spin class- don't notice so no comments
    2. Others that ask me if I'm trying to lose weight- "wow! You don't need to lose that much" then they proceed to criticize my program as being wrong, too much this or that

Honestly I just don't talk about it anymore with people I see everyday which is why I'm on this platform.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    only lost 30 pounds so far, but they are thrilled!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!