People judge - that's just "reality" - BULL****!

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey, I resemble that remark! :laugh: I think if we (academia) can come up with some solutions, the WHY will have paid off.

Lol - oh for sure. I will thank people like you immensely for putting in the hard work so I can merrily ride along on your coat tails.

Until you guys come up with some definite answers like a magic pill to cure obesity I will, as an individual, care more about being strong and healthy than being right. Those goals can be achieved by someone like me without the first clue about what cavemen did or did not do. It makes more sense to focus energy on the practical than the esoteric.

True, true. I'm waiting on that magic pill too. I plan to make BILLIONS!! :bigsmile: Haha. Actually I have found some really interesting preliminary data with probiotics, but nothing magical....yet.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    That's my point though. I don't like the comparison to cavemen when they were structurally a lot different. We don't know if they were fat, thin, or made of synthetic alloy.

Depends what you mean by cavemen. Homo Sapiens neanderthalensis may have been slightly different in structure to modern humans, but homo sapiens sapiens, who left Africa around 100-70000 years ago were the same subspecies as the humans on Earth today, and there is plenty of evidence in their skeletal remains to show us their build and diets. You wouldn't believe how much research has been done on the micronutrients in bones and hair of early humans. We know exactly what they ate in different areas, and exactly how fat/muscled etc they were.

It's great to see a post from someone who isn't single-handedly ripping my caveman comment to shreds!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think I judge myself more harshly than anyone else judges me. I'm definitely my own worst critic.
  • Christinamosher
    Options
    I wonder if it's "all" true: the hypothesis of insulin created fat cells and the amount of calories one burns? Certainly we know every body is it's own unique ecosystem with tailored genes and hormones for balance. Personally, I'm glad you're talking about Gary Taubes here because I've noticed that in the whole race for calories in calories out, there seems to be a large amount of side-stepping about what kind of calories are consumed and what quality. Just because I eat a Weight Watchers frozen meal, protein bar, and ice cream sandwich (which may only come to a total of 500 calories total) doesn't mean I won't produce fat cells from that. Granted, some people don't have the insulin sensitivity like I do...because all our bodies are different....so they would succeed very well at the whole calorie reduction scenario.

I wonder if there are actually a lot of people on this site who fall by the wayside, whether it's for lack of motivation, or the fact that calories in-vs-calories out just isn't working for them.

For me, the calories in vs calories out doesn't work and I think that Gary Taubes is a godsend...a little cranky and opinionated...but a godsend nonetheless. I also do think that since carbs are cheaper to process and manufacture, they are more readily marketed to people, especially to dieters that are willing to accept anything packaged "low fat/low cal" with open arms because we are taught that is what we need to avoid....

But not ALL people need to avoid that, because after all, we all have very different bodies with very different needs.

Personally, Taubes book reminds me of when I was young and visited my great-aunt who was the historian of my family. She pulled out all these pictures of my Dad's family, all crossbreeds of Blackfoot and Irish descent...and not an overweight lot in the bunch. The family didn't start becoming overweight until the 1930's during the great depression...and I'm surmising it's because of the reliance on grains (and the factory work they did). I noticed the pictures in the 1960's and 70's looked slimmer and that would make sense because they could afford more vegetables and meat. In all, I think Taubes is right, for some body types, a diet primarily of carbs and sugars will most definitely lead to adiposity (production of fat cells)

(By the way, my relatives were farmers in the 1930's so I don't think it was from laziness that they gained weight. I remembered my aunt telling me that during the depression they only ate meat on holidays...they were that poor)

Anyway, I'm so glad you brought this topic up because I think that for everyone that is working on their body, the more ammunition they have, the better. Personally, I'm going to stay on this diet, because even after one week, I've seen incredible results. I also FEEL better than I ever have. My skin looks amazing, my nails are growing like crazy, and I've dropped 6 lbs in one week and leave the table feeling full after every meal.

For me, cutting sugar and simple carbs is WAY easier than starving myself. I felt, before, that I was just fighting this hopeless battle against myself (because the body wants to eat!), but now I actually feel like I'm managing an addiction or an allergy. I know that if given the chance, I would go carb nuts if I could....but it's just the way my body is built. My husband who went on this diet with me had way less sugar and carb cravings than I did...so you see, for some, it's just exercise and calorie maintenance.

My goal is to keep logging all my food and exercise here because I want tot be able to show myself and anyone who asks that yes, I did lose weight from cutting all refined sugars and simple carbs from my diet. I didn't starve myself, I didn't deprive myself of the rich food I love.

I've found some of the reactions on this topic very interesting...the comments are much harsher than I've seen on other topics. I wonder of it's because this is very much a sore spot for everyone who struggles with weight...we want to know WHAT IS THE ONE RIGHT WAY TO LOSE WEIGHT. And sadly, there isn't such an answer. Ater all, the medical field of pharmacology knows quite well that even our standard drugs don't effect everyone in the population the same way, we cannot think food is any different.

I think, it's just going to take people like us who do succeed at lowering our fat cells through abstaining from simple carbs, to show the world that there isn't just one way...and who knows, we might just give hope to a whole bunch of people sitting in the silence that would benefit from such information....so thank you very much for posting this!

By the way, If there's anyone out there who's looking for meal plans, just do a search for GI Cooking (Low GLycemic Index Cooking) this is all basic knowledge for diabetics who need to manage their blood sugar levels.
  • zoodalia
    Options
    Gosh, what a debate I have started. I'm sorry my viewpoint appears to have offended so many people. However, I stand by my opinions. I am not claiming to be an expert in human development... but I do believe that we live in an excuses culture in which people will do anything to avoid facing reality. I also think that is a great shame.

Some people are predisposed to gain more weight than others, I have a friend who eats takeaways constantly, yet I eat more than one a week and I gain two stone in a year (reality). I am on this website to lose weight, and therefore consider myself someone who puts on weight easily. I don't blame genetics, my parents, my flat, my cats or the socks I put in the wash last week. I am psychological sound enough to assess the food I was eating and the link it had to my weight gain.

I also stand by my comments about wild animals - - - last time I checked humans are animals, just ones that don't chase or get chased often enough! Some people have clinical conditions that cause weight gain, I am not including those in my post, I am including the other millions who try desperately to apply reasons other than over-eating to the causes of their weight gain.

I'm not offended. But I do claim to be a professional in metabolism. :laugh: I'm just saying the issue of weight gain is more complex than over-eating. And we are animals, but we are domesticated. If you want to see an undomesticated population, go to forests of Papua New Guinea. Those guys are lean.

Thanks for your response, unfortunately my expertise lies elsewhere so am always interested to hear a more educated perspective. I also agree we are domesticated, I'm looking for someone to explain why that explains how that justifies obesity?

Does obesity need to be justified? I didn't think it was a moral issue. :huh: I can explain why people maintain their obesity and why they are predisposed to it, but I can't justify obesity any more than I can justify having brown hair. I can change my hair color artificially, but genetically, it's still brown. It just...is.

Well, that appears to be where I lack the relevant education then. I am naturally a brunette, I was born with black hair and hazel eyes. I wasn't born fat. My sister has very little interest in food and our mother reports that she always did and contrastively reports that I was always a big eater, so I accept that people are predisposed to eat more. However, I struggle to accept (clinical conditions excluded) why some people claim to be overweight naturally. I am not criticising people for getting fat, I don't make any judgements when I see an overweight person in the street, I myself, am in that category. I'm simply questioning the reasoning behind it, and also clarity in the arguments that 'some people are naturally fat'.

Well it's hard to be born fat considering you only begin to gain body fat in about the last 4 weeks. You might find epigenetics interesting. It is the study of how a mother's habits during pregnancy (nutritional as well, not just unhealthy things) will influence her fetus's DNA through phosphorylation of histidine residues, mostly. It really starts before you are even fully formed.

Well, technically I was slim up until I started buying my own food, which was only two years ago. Thanks for all your opinions though, I'll definitely read up on the things you've suggested!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    That's my point though. I don't like the comparison to cavemen when they were structurally a lot different. We don't know if they were fat, thin, or made of synthetic alloy.

Depends what you mean by cavemen. Homo Sapiens neanderthalensis may have been slightly different in structure to modern humans, but homo sapiens sapiens, who left Africa around 100-70000 years ago were the same subspecies as the humans on Earth today, and there is plenty of evidence in their skeletal remains to show us their build and diets. You wouldn't believe how much research has been done on the micronutrients in bones and hair of early humans. We know exactly what they ate in different areas, and exactly how fat/muscled etc they were.

It's great to see a post from someone who isn't single-handedly ripping my caveman comment to shreds!

You just can't compare us to them...no, it's not like comparing a cat to a mountain lion. It's like comparing a domesticated dog to a wild dog. If you got stranded in the woods and lived off tubers and bugs, you'd end up really lean. But since you live in a house and get your food from a grocery store, it's not comparable.

ETA: The epigenetics stuff is super cool! It's very new. I wish I'd known about it in undergrad.
  • zoodalia
    Options

You just can't compare us to them...no, it's not like comparing a cat to a mountain lion. It's like comparing a domesticated dog to a wild dog. If you got stranded in the woods and lived off tubers and bugs, you'd end up really lean. But since you live in a house and get your food from a grocery store, it's not comparable.

ETA: The epigenetics stuff is super cool! It's very new. I wish I'd known about it in undergrad.

So is it the food we eat that makes us overweight?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Oh no, not just that. You'd have to dig up the tubers, search for the bugs, make fires at night, cry yourself to sleep, scream for help, etc. You'd be much more active.
  • zoodalia
    Options

Oh no, not just that. You'd have to dig up the tubers, search for the bugs, make fires at night, cry yourself to sleep, scream for help, etc. You'd be much more active.

So is it exercise and low food intake that keeps one slim?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Many, if not most, people in my field agree that exercise is the cure-all. But low food intake doesn't do much in terms of metabolic changes. I'm not sure how many calories are burned while crying or screaming, though.
  • serendipityrr
    serendipityrr Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons why people are overweight...it certainly just isn't physiological for all people...sheesh...
    I think OP should keep an open mind and make sure she reads additional research on the topic.
    Don't believe everything that one author writes...

read as much as you can, form an opinion....
    read something else, and your opinion may change...it's about educaton.

:wink:

Personally, I believe being overweight has alot to do with the reasons we overeat....
    Why is it acceptable for me to be overweight?
    Why have I let myself put on 40 or 50 lbs? Some peope can catch it at 5lbs, then lose it....
    I do eat more than a thin person eats (in general)...the question is why do I do it?
    That's not physiological.
  • zoodalia
    Options

Many, if not most, people in my field agree that exercise is the cure-all. But low food intake doesn't do much in terms of metabolic changes. I'm not sure how many calories are burned while crying or screaming, though.

Ha, probably not many! Well, essentially it sounds like we agree then, because my original point was that monitored food intake and exercise are the key the most peoples' weight loss (again, clinical conditions excluded). My concern was that there are a million and one excuses for being overweight.You have helped clarify that of course this is a variable, but essentially it is the same factors that affect weight gain and/or loss as that of other animals. We eat more and have a lessened level of exercise because we are domesticated, not because we are naturally overweight.

Now time I worked out, thanks for your help and good luck with the rest of your weight loss!
  • Actavella
    Actavella Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Im fat and I take responsibility for what I put into my body. Science didnt do me in, stuffing my face did.

Agreed, better stuff your face with veggies!. You are not going to gain weight if your diet is mostly plants and lean meats. Of course carbs and sugars will cause you to STAY fat and GAIN fat. An increase in insulin levels prevents fat from being metabolized as energy, thats because of what YOU put into your body! Plus, we were made to judge! We as human beings must have discernment to make any decision in LIFE. So that is reality. If people LOOK DOWN ON YOU, then that's their business. I say to myself their opinion is neither significant or relevant to my life.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Ha, probably not many! Well, essentially it sounds like we agree then, because my original point was that monitored food intake and exercise are the key the most peoples' weight loss (again, clinical conditions excluded). My concern was that there are a million and one excuses for being overweight.You have helped clarify that of course this is a variable, but essentially it is the same factors that affect weight gain and/or loss as that of other animals. We eat more and have a lessened level of exercise because we are domesticated, not because we are naturally overweight.

Now time I worked out, thanks for your help and good luck with the rest of your weight loss!

I can agree with that. Thanks and you too!
  • nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    :smile: I love food!!! And because of that along with inactivity- I gained a lot of weight. I began having lots of problems with my body, self esteem, and outlook on life. "That's just reality" signifies that people are just willing to accept the way they are and not do anything about it. Seems to me like most of us here came for one purpose... to make a change in our lives. So whether that is becoming more educated about how the body produces or burns fat or we use the site for a food log... we are still trying to make a difference for ourselves and the people that love us. The challenge will be whether we love ourselves enough to stick with it and stand up for ourselves in society. :smile:

So, for your posting I say that "knowledge IS power"!!! and we can "make excuses or get results- but we can't have both". :huh: There are a lot of things out there that are very confusing. Decide what you want to do and seek all the help from a professional if needed. If you can, try to visit a nutritionist... everyones body is NOT the same and CANNOT be governed by this site however, it is helpful to gadge calorie intake if you are counting calories. They can also help if you are having other issues as a result of the diet habits having a negative impact. Make your activity matter exclusive to your body and be consistent... get a heartrate monitor/pedometer or bodybug of some sort of measuring device to gadge output and put all that knowledge you're gaining to use. It doesn't matter if you lose 5 lbs or 150 lbs... it's about who you are and how you feel and if you feel good then you will do more to help yourself and the results will come slowly but surely.

I do think it's mean for people to give the strange looks and say the mean things when they really don't know... but trust me... what goes around comes around. Hold your head up and stand tall through your journey. :smile:
  • dd_sharp
    dd_sharp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooooooooooooo much for your post. I wish everyone could educate themselves on the root causes of obesity.
    2249213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Gosh, what a debate I have started. I'm sorry my viewpoint appears to have offended so many people. However, I stand by my opinions. I am not claiming to be an expert in human development... but I do believe that we live in an excuses culture in which people will do anything to avoid facing reality. I also think that is a great shame.

Some people are predisposed to gain more weight than others, I have a friend who eats takeaways constantly, yet I eat more than one a week and I gain two stone in a year (reality). I am on this website to lose weight, and therefore consider myself someone who puts on weight easily. I don't blame my parents, my flat, my cats or the socks I put in the wash last week. I am psychological sound enough to assess the food I was eating and the link it had to my weight gain.

I also stand by my comments about wild animals - - - last time I checked humans are animals, just ones that don't chase or get chased often enough! Some people have clinical conditions that cause weight gain, I am not including those in my post, I am including the other millions who try desperately to apply reasons other than over-eating to the causes of their weight gain.

My flat :) you UK are adorable and I mean that genuinely.

Ha, is 'flat' a strange choice of words?

No :) We just don't technically have them here in the states, er, well I guess it's just not used. I've tried to just because I love how it sounds and what it means, but nobody gets it or I get chastised for it. Back to the good comments!
  • zoodalia
    Options

Some people are predisposed to gain more weight than others, I have a friend who eats takeaways constantly, yet I eat more than one a week and I gain two stone in a year (reality). I am on this website to lose weight, and therefore consider myself someone who puts on weight easily. I don't blame my parents, my flat, my cats or the socks I put in the wash last week. I am psychological sound enough to assess the food I was eating and the link it had to my weight gain.

My flat :) you UK are adorable and I mean that genuinely.

Ha, is 'flat' a strange choice of words?

No :) We just don't technically have them here in the states, er, well I guess it's just not used. I've tried to just because I love how it sounds and what it means, but nobody gets it or I get chastised for it. Back to the good comments!

Ah I see, well keep plugging it over there;) good luck with the rest of your weight loss!
  • sarashae
    sarashae Posts: 28
    Options
    As a fat person myself, I have to say that I got that way from overeating and not exercising. I was an emotional eater. When I learned to deal with that is healthy ways, then I could begin my weight loss journey. I have no one or nothing to blame but myself and I am the only one who can fix it. Now, I watch my calorie, fat, carb and sodium intake and I exercise daily.
    I agree completed with this! I know that I did this to myself and I know that I can loose it my self!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Everyone is different and responds differently. If I reduce my carbs I get very lethargic, don't have the energy to work out, want to sleep all day, etc. I don't have a carb sensitivity at all. I could eat carbs all day long and be just fine. Do I eat them all day? No. Because my goal is my body weight in protein a day, but I COULD do it if I wanted to. Please, do not make assumptions. I currently weigh around 145lbs and I have lost 60lbs still eating carbs AND sugar.

Everyone's body is different. We all respond differently to things. Don't make mass generalizations because one thing works or doesn't work for you.

I'm not fat anymore - not even close. I eat carbs. I eat sugar. This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle.. I eat what I want and I eat it in MODERATION. I truly believe PORTION CONTROL is a huge problem in America and probably one of the biggest reasons why we are an overweight society. No one has ANY clue how much 1 cup of rice is, what 4oz of chicken is, etc.

THIS!!!!

I was re-reading this topic and I really do love it. I liked how the moderator for the site came in to say 'tone it down a bit,' but at the same time, she didn't take it down. Why? TOUGH LOVE.

I made a post before about how western society doesn't take responsibility for it's actions (hellooooo debt!). At the same time, I agree with this post whole-heartedly and that people need to understand that everyone handles food differently. I'm lactose intolerant, and my body doesn't process carbs well. At the same time, if I don't eat enough carbs (or food in general), I find myself getting lethargic and I can't work out properly.

AT THE SAME TIME!!!! The post I quoted speaks about moderation. Everything has to happen in moderation.

That's all I wanted to say about that, lol. In other news, I loved this topic and, from a critical analysis standpoint, it's interesting to see the responses.

To the OP, I just want to say this (and I hope you've continued to read these posts) - I said before that you took the comments too personally, and I still stand by that. You came out guns a-blazing, essentially saying that anyone who judges you on your weight should just f*** off. You get what you give. Maybe re-read the posts and take yourself out of the equation - pretend they're talking to someone else. There's a lot of good advice in here. There's also some tough love, like my post.

BUT!!!!!! Just so you know, I posted because I understand. I think we all understand the feeling of shame that we got for walking around overweight and the looks that you get for having a few extra pounds, ESPECIALLY!!!! if you're a woman. Women, in our religion of popculture (thank you Lady Gaga), are expected to have no fat and to have the perfect body, have the perfect makeup, hair, etc. (Victoria Beckham and Angelina Jolie, anyone?) You will never see a fat actress in a leading lady role in an action flick. Not going to happen. It's not fair.

At the same time, I read your posts and I commend you on wanting to take control of your life and trying to understand why everything happened to you and how to change. GOOD FOR YOU.

Sometimes, you need the tough love. So I commend you for posting this topic, and I hope you've continued to read these comments because some of them are very insightful and intelligent observations. This is a good site with smart people who are all in the same position - we want to lose weight and get healthy. Again, good for you for posting this. You've got balls, lady!!!! =D