Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    So I just got in the shower at the gym and before I stepped in I noticed a large wad of hair in the basin where you stand. Like someone had just cleaned his hair brush in the shower instead of the trash.

I know maybe some people have issues that hair is falling out or has been tugged out during your workout, but the amount of hair was a bit ridiculous. Literally I thought to myself, "someone stood here and removed the excess hair from their hairbrush and threw it in the shower".

Does this happen to anyone else? I was kind of annoyed by this. I realize it's the gym, but who does this? Some poor gym employee making Jack Crap per hour is gonna have to pick that hair out of the shower floor.

Maybe I just need a hug.

This is just terrible and I'm sorry that it happened to you...and...you also probably need a hug. <3
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So I just got in the shower at the gym and before I stepped in I noticed a large wad of hair in the basin where you stand. Like someone had just cleaned his hair brush in the shower instead of the trash.

I know maybe some people have issues that hair is falling out or has been tugged out during your workout, but the amount of hair was a bit ridiculous. Literally I thought to myself, "someone stood here and removed the excess hair from their hairbrush and threw it in the shower".

Does this happen to anyone else? I was kind of annoyed by this. I realize it's the gym, but who does this? Some poor gym employee making Jack Crap per hour is gonna have to pick that hair out of the shower floor.

Maybe I just need a hug.

I have that thing about hair in the shower. I absolutely hate public showers for that reason... totally grosses me out. I would never have showered there again. Ugh.
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    -people who ask you about your workout and then try to give you condescending "advice." dude...who asked you??
    -people who try to start conversations while you're in the middle of a workout (not a few words or a quick hello-- a full on *kitten* conversation.)
    -people on the machine next to you who keep glancing over to compare their numbers to yours.
    -when the gym is crowded and someone spends a *kitten* hour and a half on a machine while others are waiting
    -people who stare (i realize that we all stare into space, and we all check out sexy people, but when you're obviously staring at someone during their entire workout it's just weird and distracting.)

I work out at home now.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    IVMay wrote: »
    Ok so when I was at the gym, part of the rules was to wipe down the seat after you used the equipment. I got told off by so many people at the gym, not the actual workers, saying it wastes time as I would get up go get the paper towel, and spray it, wipe down my equipment, and move on. I just didn't understand if it is such a reasonable request why people are offended when someone actually does what the etiquette dictates?

Also I went to a gym that had a rotation of new front desk workers, who barely knew any of the accounting tasks and they kept messing up the withdrawal and fees of my account to the point they just got harassing, and I knew how to fill out all my forms and documents myself. I was one step away from filing them all too. But the worse was when they started asking me to ask for information about my family, who also went to the same gym, about their accounting information. Essentially it got really ugly and I didn't want to go back, ever, so when my membership expired I went 'Bye Felicia'.

People, people confuse me.

wnhaqtb4qyc0.gif

I am baby-faced, life can be difficult when well meaning but annoying unwanted advice comes my way. I thought it was me but no, it is them. It is definitely them.

Also when people are resting between sets and go on their phones, which I do, it is really annoying when those that are on other machines start watching me because I am actually timing myself to take a minute between sets. It is like no matter what you do you always feel uncomfortable.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    -people who ask you about your workout and then try to give you condescending "advice." dude...who asked you??
    -people who try to start conversations while you're in the middle of a workout (not a few words or a quick hello-- a full on *kitten* conversation.)
    -people on the machine next to you who keep glancing over to compare their numbers to yours.
    -when the gym is crowded and someone spends a *kitten* hour and a half on a machine while others are waiting
    -people who stare (i realize that we all stare into space, and we all check out sexy people, but when you're obviously staring at someone during their entire workout it's just weird and distracting.)

I work out at home now.

I had one guy, telling me about the exercise I was performing on the cable machine. He told me it needs to be bit higher. I told him, that height is right for me, mind you he was taller than me so it's natural our range won't be the same.
  • scottyp65
    scottyp65 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Show up!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

Maybe I just need a hug.

I'm a germaphobe. I wear flip flops in the gym shower because I know how gross people can be. I forgot them one day and I strongly considered going all the way back home to shower.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options

Maybe I just need a hug.

I'm a germaphobe. I wear flip flops in the gym shower because I know how gross people can be. I forgot them one day and I strongly considered going all the way back home to shower.

I only use the shower at the gym after swimming, and it's to rinse the chemicals off me. I'll shower for real at home.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    The dude who angrily asked me if I was done on the machine I was occupying and then stood there glaring at me - I assume his anger was because I was looking at my phone during a moment of rest between sets. I was actually looking at my workout app to see what I was doing next and picking out the next song for the workout. Sorry there, Mr. Hostility, but people do rest between sets and do use their phones for fitness oriented purposes.

He asked the wrong question.
    Asking to work-in is the best approach.

I always allow someone the courtesy of working-in, when all it takes is to move a pin on a weight stack.

If it's a squat rack or Olympic loaded bench.... it might be a different story, but honestly , I've only said" No " to someone asking to work-in only once in my life.

That was because the guy was/is a total dick head and I thought he would probably get on the bench and not let anyone else work-in once he was there.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Basically when people speak to me at all.

:p

I need to find a different gym.
    Too much conversation.
    I went there late yesterday and it was empty. .. which was great.

No talk, all chalk.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Basically when people speak to me at all.

:p

I need to find a different gym.
    Too much conversation.
    I went there late yesterday and it was empty. .. which was great.

No talk, all chalk.

Honestly my favourite thing is when I go somewhere and no one is around and I'm left completely alone.

I have friends from the gym. Conversation before or after training is great... just don't interupt me during.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options
    I don't have gym friends. I just don't like people period.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

But, but..... I like you; really, I do.
  • browneyedgirl749
    Options

I might can make an exception.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    The dude who angrily asked me if I was done on the machine I was occupying and then stood there glaring at me - I assume his anger was because I was looking at my phone during a moment of rest between sets. I was actually looking at my workout app to see what I was doing next and picking out the next song for the workout. Sorry there, Mr. Hostility, but people do rest between sets and do use their phones for fitness oriented purposes.

I don't mind people using an app on a phone briefly between sets. Even if I am waiting for a machine. That's part of today's fitness world.

Now if they are sitting there playing legend of zelda for 5 minutes I might ask if they can find their life crystals somewhere else.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

<3
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Another locker room issue today.

Someone came in from his workout and drapped his dripping wet with sweat suit (one of those funky plastic "lose weight fast" suits) over an entire bench in front of the lockers....where people actually sit.

No towel.

Just his nasty *kitten* solar soaking sweat suit.... top and pants taking up an entire bench. In front of about 10 standard sized top/bottom lockers.

Left it there while he went to shower.

This is just not normal.