Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    Overweight personal trainers.

Yes! This makes me freaking crazy...

Why? Does not being a linebacker make bill bellichek a bad coach?!

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

So yeah, fat trainers are actually not very complete trainers.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

Im not saying every personal trainer that is in good shape is a good trainer either. So of course when hiring someone to help you with something as important as your health and fitness you should do your due diligence in making sure they are credible and a good fit for you. But all things being equal, a trainer with knowledge and the ability to practically apply it, should be more beneficial than one with knowledge and has not shown the ability to put it to use.

This! Now if you're training to become a strongman you go to a strongman gym and/or get a trainer who's very familiar with the sport.
    If you're gonna learn how to box, you'd hire a trainer who knows what kind of workouts would help you succeed in that sport
    If you wanna do bikini competition/body building, get a coach who's into it..

You don't hire an overweight coach unless you wan't to become overweight yourself. If he doesn't have discipline to take care of his own body, why do you think he'd have the discipline to be a good trainer and focus on your needs/progress if he can't focus on his own?

I don't think it's necessarily true. The fact that someone might have willpower issues doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know what they're talking about.

I mean, I had a friend who was obese and a 'naturally thin' (ie, someone who never had weight issues) friend was trying to help her and giving her advice about losing weight that just don't apply to people who have an eating problem. I'm chunkier than that friend so I actually know what the person is going through, and that telling her to 'eat clean' and never eat junk food isn't necessarily better long term than 'iifym' for example. That thin woman doesn't know - it comes naturally to her to just eat 'clean' and have a sliver portion of cake, and she doesn't understand why it might be hard for other people.

So basically, an overweight trainer might be able to give you more pertinent advice than a guy who's been fit with no eating issues all his life. And weight itself really doesn't make a difference when it comes to fitness basics - people are overweight because they eat too much, no matter how much they exercise.

I remember a pretty heated argument about the subject but I haven't changed my opinion one bit, lol.

At the end of the day. IF I'm looking for a trainer. And I'm not. But IF I was. I don't want to train with the person who stood at the top of the Mr Olympia or Powerlifting championship Podium.

I want to train with the guy who put him there. And I don't care if he looks like Mickey, or Humpty Dumpty.

Any training plan... even a bad one will get you through your beginner gains. It takes a good trainer and plan to get through intermediate and into advanced or competition level performance.

Honestly, that's not what I'm looking for right now, but the reality is that high level performers generally aren't high level coaches; and high level coaches aren't generally high level performers.

There are notable exception, but they're notable because they're exceptions... Larry Bird, Michael Jordan... didn't do so well as coaches.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    People in the wrong swimming lane.

Young men who aggressively try to use the punchbag after I've started using it. They don't even talk to me. Just try to hit me in the face with it. What their issues are, I do not know.

Heh. This is a new one. Might be you :)
  • IVMay
    Options
    I can only assume that all the grunt-haterz have never grunted.
    To which I would say, y'all need to lift heavier.

If people can play dead after they've been shot and stay completely silent and still with hammer pains signalling through their entire central nervous system - I'm sure there's a possibility some people can drop the grandstanding of their alpha dominance via audio announcements loud enough to remind a jackhammer workman that their H&S time of use is drawing to an end...

Saying that - if you are not making any noise or at least stuggling by the time you rerack or have to increase/move anything of significance - you are not working hard enough, you do have a point there. A lot of these cosmetic type gyms seem to be more focused on a social life and meetup rather than an actual workout.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

Im not saying every personal trainer that is in good shape is a good trainer either. So of course when hiring someone to help you with something as important as your health and fitness you should do your due diligence in making sure they are credible and a good fit for you. But all things being equal, a trainer with knowledge and the ability to practically apply it, should be more beneficial than one with knowledge and has not shown the ability to put it to use.

This! Now if you're training to become a strongman you go to a strongman gym and/or get a trainer who's very familiar with the sport.
    If you're gonna learn how to box, you'd hire a trainer who knows what kind of workouts would help you succeed in that sport
    If you wanna do bikini competition/body building, get a coach who's into it..

You don't hire an overweight coach unless you wan't to become overweight yourself. If he doesn't have discipline to take care of his own body, why do you think he'd have the discipline to be a good trainer and focus on your needs/progress if he can't focus on his own?

Why, are you looking for tips on over eating?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Generally agree, but I think this is a job / career like any other, that people get into for any number of reasons. Waiting to have the perfect body before doing a certification to help others train their body sounds a lot like waiting for the perfect body before doing, well, anything else with your life. Before you know it, another decade has come and gone and you're still sitting, waiting, timid and terrified of what people may think and who knows what else while life passes you by.

What's it to you, anyway? You should be happy they're somewhat unqualified in your book - less competition for you.

Well obviously if they are transitioning themselves to better health and fitness while becoming a trainer, that's a good thing. If while being a trainer for an extended period of time they never make that transition, then they need to work on themselves more than they need to work on others.

What's it to me? Like any other human that has a thought, it's my opinion. I'm not worried about competition, I welcome it. Standards would be much higher if everyone shared this philosophy.

They're either a trainer or working on becoming one - how much more evidence of transitioning do you need? I haven't hired a personal trainer myself but take classes and couldn't give one *kitten* what the person in front of the class looks like. Their discipline is evident in their delivery of the material and their commitment to showing up on time and motivating everyone to work their bodies. This is not an easy thing to do successfully, and to me the size of their gut and what they like to do in their kitchen play zero part.
  • sonic22m
    sonic22m Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    - dudes walking around nude like they're at home, in the locker room.
    - People who have to take a picture of the rep.
    - When you're workout in front the mirror, and someone stands directly in front of you.
    - People who's music is so loud, you can hear it over your headphones.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that all the grunt-haterz have never grunted.
    To which I would say, y'all need to lift heavier.

wouldn't the individual's goals be the deciding factor?

It was a joke....

apologies, kind sir.

Not a sir.

I would have thought (tresa) would have given your genda away and perhaps the avatar...lol
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    This is all pretty much why I enlist a buddy to workout with, So much is solved working in pairs. But NOT being asked how many sets left or asked to work in is annoying. Sharing should not be a significant emotional event.
  • IVMay
    Options
    sonic22m wrote: »
    - dudes walking around nude like they're at home, in the locker room.
    - People who have to take a picture of the rep.
    - When you're workout in front the mirror, and someone stands directly in front of you.
    - People who's music is so loud, you can hear it over your headphones.

All these are true and funny.
    Or people regurgitating and emptying their nose in the showers. People pissing in the showers or leaving skid marks all over the tiolets/not flushing properly. Just general dirty idiots.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not so much that this annoys me, but it is kinda weird... there's this girl at my gym who does this weird crawling exercise - she's on her hands and feet, but with the front of her facing the ceiling - and then she just moves around very quickly all over the gym. And as she is very fast, I am always kinda worried I will accidentally trip over her should I step back whenever she is there...

I have been the girl doing step-ups on a bench though, but there was no one waiting for one and access the actual step-up because of an abs class.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    people who leave their water bottle on the seat to reserve the machine/bench while they have a conversation , and get pissed off when you ask can I use this?
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options

Or ones that look like they need a good feed!
    -When people don't wipe down the equipment :s
    -When they are talking on their cell phone and taking up the equipment.
    -Women who gleefully prance around nude in the change room. One lady has no shame in bending over in front of me.
    -When guys interrupt your workout to hit on you.

People wandering around naked - I don't get it either. (And before anyone gets judgy, it doesn't bother me, what others do is their business, But I was brought up to cover up). Plus they're usually carrying their towel...

I'm okay with nudity. I was talking about this lady that always goes on the same day as me. And if her locker is by mine she like turns and bends over in front of me. It's entirely unnecessary. She's actually going out of her way to do so. And I don't get what the woman's deal is. She's doing it on purpose and it's just creepy now.

she is trying to throw you hints:
    w6Zzy.gif
    Tie your shoe laces!
  • davedoubleu
    davedoubleu Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    People that use grammar incorrectly. I.e 'annoys' instead of 'annoy' B)