Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Overweight personal trainers.

Yes! This makes me freaking crazy...

Why? Does not being a linebacker make bill bellichek a bad coach?!

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

So yeah, fat trainers are actually not very complete trainers.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

^ This!
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Jayco141 wrote: »
    People who love to leave their GALLON of water next to a machine or bench they walk away from. They love to dominate two machines even when its busy.

I just move there things polity and use the equipment.... no one has ever complained...lol
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    There is this lady that hogs the big fan during Zumba class. She points it right at her, leaving those of us on the other side without any moving air. *kitten* needs to take her waistband out from directly under her boobs and share the air.

Ah man, I bet that sucks! I have a few Zumba irritants, but that doesn't stop me from going!

I hate people who move super close to me to try to take over my spot. I get to class early so I can stake out where I like to stand, don't show up late and try to move me.

There's also a lady who likes to stand in front, but is too shy to stand on the first row. So she awkwardly hovers in this no-mans land in between the first and second row. I tried to be in the second row behind her, and I had to move because she kept backing into me, and not really moving when it was time to walk forward.

I hate when the Zumba instructor makes us free style. It's kind of embarrassing, and you can tell no one likes to do it.

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when they don't wipe down the machines after sweating all over them. There are disinfectant wipes stationed all over the gym - take 2 minutes out of your time and wipe down the machines when you're done!
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

What if instead of simply judging, we do it slowly and methodically over months and months of watching and studying and careful research?

yeah, once i turn the last page of that book, it's *kitten* judgement day. :p
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Putting a coffee cup on one bench while using another machine/bench.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options

I agree with what your saying.
    Well to be honest. I would NEVER discount Bill or Julie B's training advise with skating. They are somewhere in their 80's now. What about a elderly body builder, whos a champion builder in the past? Maybe my dance coach. She older now, and has a poochy belly. In her 20's that belly was a washboard. Now shes in her 60's with over 50 years dance experience. She knows everything in this department. I would not have any problem taking advise or training with any coach whos body is not a perfect billboard. That's for sure. :)
  • MikeD0326
    MikeD0326 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hate the grunters!
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty easy going but there is one guy who acts like he owns the joint. He'll do a circuit (same one every time as far as I can tell) and he'll leave weights, mats, bands etc. in different areas of the gym. I was doing tricep dips on a bench once and he just sat his *kitten* on the other end and started doing bicep curls (I use that term very loosely!) not so much as a word to me if I minded....I guess he creeps me out.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    Putting a coffee cup on one bench while using another machine/bench.

what about my glass of wine? It deserves it's own bench

I think you need to head on over to the confessions thread.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    HyeKarma wrote: »

I agree with what your saying.
    Well to be honest. I would NEVER discount Bill or Julie B's training advise with skating. They are somewhere in their 80's now. What about a elderly body builder, whos a champion builder in the past? Maybe my dance coach. She older now, and has a poochy belly. In her 20's that belly was a washboard. Now shes in her 60's with over 50 years dance experience. She knows everything in this department. I would not have any problem taking advise or training with any coach whos body is not a perfect billboard. That's for sure. :)

Exactly this. Show me your clients.

• Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    I can only assume that all the grunt-haterz have never grunted.
    To which I would say, y'all need to lift heavier.

I have caught myself grunting minimally recently. A sign that I'm lifting heavier and where is more appropriate for my abilities.

I don't mind grunting in the gym. That's what the gym is there for. Lifting weights, grunting, farting, awkward interactions with strangers you see almost every day.