Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Replies

• amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Definitely people who don't wipe down the machines after they use them! There was a guy in the gym I go to who was visibly dripping of sweat and had covered a machine I wanted to use with it and hadn't bothered to clean it up. No way was I going to do it for him.

Or when people stand around 1 machine and just chat. None of them use it. They just stand their and talk for about 15 minutes. I got so annoyed when a group of kids came in and that's all they did. Barely used any of the machines and just stood around talking.
  • rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member
    LOL OMG thats nasty yea.. a lot of people just use the machines and just leave .. like ew..
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Ok so when I was at the gym, part of the rules was to wipe down the seat after you used the equipment. I got told off by so many people at the gym, not the actual workers, saying it wastes time as I would get up go get the paper towel, and spray it, wipe down my equipment, and move on. I just didn't understand if it is such a reasonable request why people are offended when someone actually does what the etiquette dictates?

Also I went to a gym that had a rotation of new front desk workers, who barely knew any of the accounting tasks and they kept messing up the withdrawal and fees of my account to the point they just got harassing, and I knew how to fill out all my forms and documents myself. I was one step away from filing them all too. But the worse was when they started asking me to ask for information about my family, who also went to the same gym, about their accounting information. Essentially it got really ugly and I didn't want to go back, ever, so when my membership expired I went 'Bye Felicia'.

People, people confuse me.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    People who ask me am I using a particular machine, bench, squat rack, etc even though I'm like doing something else like deadlifting or there's nothing on said machine, bench, squat rack to make them think I was using it. Even though they know I'm not supersetting.
  • christys03
    christys03 Posts: 22,784 Member
    Idiocy. This fluffy woman wears plastic clothing & works out.....pouring sweat....like she's dropping weight for the fight of her life......she looks like she could pass out @ any second.....horrible.......
  • creepy_unicorn
    creepy_unicorn Posts: 14 Member
    People not cleaning machines, not putting away their mats/weights.The worst for me though is when people sit on the weight lifting equipment on their phones for ages.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    I got one!!
    When stretching, my personal space is is about 10 feet radius .. do not come in to that circle if you don't wan't me to crash on top of you after a failed handstand !

Lol... i thought the handstand would come later in your routine

You're new here aren't ya? ;)

If I'm doing high confidence exercises as part of my routine, earlier is better than later. my mind is still sharp enough to know how I'm going to fail out if I miss something
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I get annoyed when 1) there is an entire row of not in use cardio machines and someone gets on the one on either side of the one I am on. Gym etiquette 101 leave some sweat space, at least every other machine when it is not a crowded time at the gym! 2)People who don't wipe down their equipment 3) I get grossed out when people use the industrial equipment spray to wipe down their faces!

Guilty of 1.

Usually because that machine doesn't have stripped bearings or a wobbly plate, or some other annoyance.

Or just because that's the machine I always get on and it's lined up with weather channel or ESPN

Ugh yeah, wobbly machines. Huge pet peeve of mine.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    A guy started doing weights and sounded like a large inexperienced elephant getting laid for the first time. Seriously - it echoed and everything

OMG, there's an elderly guy at my gym that sounds like that on the treadmill. I was worried that he was going to have a cardiac infarction right there...turns out he does that loudly....EVERY. DAMN. TIME.
    He also loudly and grossly clears his throat and spits into a handkerchief, I mean I didn't know they still made handkerchiefs...just repulsive
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    People sitting on machines just using their phones or talking to someone. People using one machine but putting their stuff on another. When you go to a totally empty machine and someone comes up and says "I was still using that." Guys who throw their heavy weights after lifting (so loud). The guys who scream and grunt and yell when lifting. People who lift barbells right in front of the rack so I have to wait to get what I need for the bench press. Male people who act like I'm not there and walk right into me or step right in front of me, between me and the mirror and start doing their own work out. The guys with BO so bad that I have to move away from them and go to another area.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Oh, and the woman who was using a bench press to do step ups, even though there are steps elsewhere for that and people were waiting for benches.
  • diezel67
    diezel67 Posts: 97 Member
    Taking my towel.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    Oh, and the woman who was using a bench press to do step ups, even though there are steps elsewhere for that and people were waiting for benches.

I see folks using the bench for step ups.
    If nobody else is waiting, no worries.
    If others are waiting, poor form.