Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• LtGladden
    LtGladden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have to say the most annoying thing I've seen as of late has been the individual taking up a machine while talking on the phone. I mean, not even kindaworking and talking - but just sitting on the machine. There are legitimate gym rules about that. If you're not into rules, why can't you just not be rude?
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    People not cleaning, people chatting loudly, people wearing strong perfume next to me on the treadmill (ugh), people going next to me when there are 10 other isolated machines.

I have a favorite treadmill i love to run on. So if someone is on the tread next to my favorite Oh yeah baby I am running next to you. And if you leave then hey so be it. I did take a shower so at least I'll smell good for you! ;)

Same. Elliptical #2 and I have a thing.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I can only assume that all the grunt-haterz have never grunted.
    To which I would say, y'all need to lift heavier.

wouldn't the individual's goals be the deciding factor?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

It was a joke....
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It was a joke....

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Only one thing and that the TRX bands go from upstairs to downstairs...and back again. I get there before anyone else so I don't get the gack from previous users!
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

It was a joke....

apologies, kind sir.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Overweight personal trainers.

Or ones that look like they need a good feed!
    -When people don't wipe down the equipment :s
    -When they are talking on their cell phone and taking up the equipment.
    -Women who gleefully prance around nude in the change room. One lady has no shame in bending over in front of me.
    -When guys interrupt your workout to hit on you.

People wandering around naked - I don't get it either. (And before anyone gets judgy, it doesn't bother me, what others do is their business, But I was brought up to cover up). Plus they're usually carrying their towel...

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options

It was a joke....

apologies, kind sir.

Not a sir.

i'm just gonna shut the *kitten* up

Perhaps lifting weights grunt free is like those silent births people speak of. Or spoke of I think it's no longer a fad unless you're a Scieftologist. So you are a silent lifter...
  • astronaught
    astronaught Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    PL4TNM wrote: »
    Lift more than me...gahh the nerve!

I'm glad I haven't had to feel that pain.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    Overweight personal trainers.

Yes! This makes me freaking crazy...

Why? Does not being a linebacker make bill bellichek a bad coach?!

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

So yeah, fat trainers are actually not very complete trainers.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

Im not saying every personal trainer that is in good shape is a good trainer either. So of course when hiring someone to help you with something as important as your health and fitness you should do your due diligence in making sure they are credible and a good fit for you. But all things being equal, a trainer with knowledge and the ability to practically apply it, should be more beneficial than one with knowledge and has not shown the ability to put it to use.

Generally agree, but I think this is a job / career like any other, that people get into for any number of reasons. Waiting to have the perfect body before doing a certification to help others train their body sounds a lot like waiting for the perfect body before doing, well, anything else with your life. Before you know it, another decade has come and gone and you're still sitting, waiting, timid and terrified of what people may think and who knows what else while life passes you by.

What's it to you, anyway? You should be happy they're somewhat unqualified in your book - less competition for you.