True Confessions - Don't Judge

Options

Replies

• browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I confess I have no idea how to compliment a man now.

Sheeshh you and me both .. :/

Make that 3...
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    I confess I despise being called "handsome".
    Like nails up and down a chalk board. I have always considered it a "you're cute" comment. Like "hey you're a 5.5-6.5-ish but there are better options out there."

To further compound my spite for this label the first time I let a woman call me this openly she broke my heart into a million pieces.

So now every time someone calls me that it reminds me of her and reopens a wound.

The end.

Oh, sad sad. Telling someone they look handsome is one of my favorite compliments to give men (whom I have the right rapport with). I don't think it's on the same level as "cute". Cute is for boys, handsome is for men.

Hearing handsome = "You're good looking for a not hot guy."

Ducky was handsome.

Oh no! I use handsome to describe good looking guys I'd date...hope no one took it as "not hot"

Yes, exactly.

And to add to my original comment....As a woman, I'd rather be called beautiful than hot. Because beautiful encompasses more than just physical attractiveness, it also encompasses character. The male equivalent to beautiful, in my eyes, is handsome.

Someone who is good looking but an *kitten*, is not handsome.

This right here...

Personally, I am grateful for any positive comment. I spent so many years being invisible and feeling like a monster that if a person chooses to make mention of something positive, I appreciate it.

Ditto. Growing up, I was never the size 0 cheerleader type that got all the attention (never wanted to be that person either). I have always been full figured, so compliments was something I just didn't get very often. The ones I hear now are mostly from drunk dudes at the bar when I'm trying to enjoy a night out with my friends. So those don't count, you know, beer goggles.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Sheeshh you and me both .. :/

Me three! :neutral:
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I confess I don't know what I like being called or even how to respond to compliments. A woman on facebook who I didn't know called me a cute nerd...I guess that's cool, I don't know lol.
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    At my age it's nice that there's still one woman out there who digs my look. But it is cool every once in a long while to get a compliment. Still can't handle them though. Guess a lifetime of being fat just doesn't prepare you well for compliments.
    As for the dude with all the scars and broken bones sounds like you seen some crap. I'd hope that would make you a more compassionate person and that's a damn good quality man or woman
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm eating cheddar veggie straws and they are delicious.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I think complaining about being called handsome is ridiculous. If you are basing how you feel about yourself compared to the drivel that gets spouted on mfp, please put down your phone and start to live in reality. All that matters is how you feel about yourself. To be offended when someone says a kindness such as "you are handsome" is some kind of nerve.

So judgement then?
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    I'm on board with not being thrilled with being called "handsome". It's different if it's used as an adjective, that's a little better. Handsome is usually the polite way to tell a man he's not hideous....."oh don't listen to them, you're handsome" kind of thing. Definitely the cookie cutter response that a man will feel not meant went into commenting on my looks. Kind of like "yeah, you're pretty" to a woman. No real thought, just a pat on the back. Not a horrible thing, but used so commonly that when I look around and see who's getting called handsome, I'm thinking ok, that's everybody, not really impressed.

It's when someone says to me "hey handsome" that my skin crawls. Might as well just say hey sport.....champ.... big guy......chief......any irrelevant name that someone may dole out that has a somewhat condescending reference to a positive meaning.

There is nothing wrong with being described as handsome, just like being said you are pretty to a woman is not bad either. But me personally, if I were to find a woman attractive, pretty is only used in describing a specific thing, pretty smile, type thing......not just the casual brush over compliment that is reserved for everyone.....;)

Yeah this is what I was getting at in a sense.

Handsome = Toyota Camry of compliments for men.

Gee thanks...I'm a shiny red Toyota Camry. I work out so I must be the one with leather interior at least. Right?.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    I think complaining about being called handsome is ridiculous. If you are basing how you feel about yourself compared to the drivel that gets spouted on mfp, please put down your phone and start to live in reality. All that matters is how you feel about yourself. To be offended when someone says a kindness such as "you are handsome" is some kind of nerve.

So judgement then?

Welcome to the internet. It was a topic being discussed among many posts. If you'd like to take it personally that is your choice.

Not personally at all. Actually FR sent.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I confess I've suffered from depression since about the age of 13.

I struggled to find my place in the world, and have always had low self-esteem and low self-worth because of it.
    It makes me impulsive and quite critical of the world, and the people in it, but worryingly im more critical of myself.

I dont let people close to me, and those i have let close have hurt me by their actions. Hence i dont open up to just anyone, but can often have superficial 'friends'

(sorry its a bit of a deep one)

:/

I can completely relate. I had panic attacks since the age of 13. After I lost my son I spiralled into a state of utter depression. I'm much better now but
    I'm still critical of things, low self esteem and don't like anyone getting to close either. Hugs
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

I personally don't let anyone control how I feel about myself whether it be in real life or the internet. I am the only one who controls that. I just think it's generally lazy generic term and does nothing for me. I will amend that with saying, who it comes from makes a difference in how it's perceived to me.

I find lazy people to not be offensive, but more like uninteresting. So I'm never offended by a kind word, but I take it with a grain of salt based on where it comes from.

Pretty much anything said to you on the internet or MFP should be taken with a grain of salt......

I agree with the rest of these ladies. Handsome is a true compliment. We are all telling you all what we mean by it and yet it still isn't good enough. That is a shame, but I suppose women do the same. I bet lots of girls are offended by being called cute.

Noting that I will not call any of you men handsome again, but I probably won't call you anything because now I have to worry as to whether my words will be offensive even though they are meant to be kind. Can't win around this *kitten* place.

***Taking notes***So when someone calls me handsome on the internet...take it with a grain of salt.
    wdk2ecdlrwl6.gif

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It seems bizarre that good looking men are complaining about being called..handsome. I wonder if less attractive guys would be so upset??
    Just thinking out loud..hmmm
    @lstrat115 I won't be using that term either ..who knew it was offensive .. :/

@ExileFromTheNorth ..I love your snark mani :)