Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• asclepsia
    asclepsia Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    @dph118: That's great to hear that your blood sugar is normal--a great achievement. I've been prediabetic for several years now; diet and exercise was the recommendation from my doctor.

"I went to the doctor this morning and my blood sugar was actually normal! Happy days! I am hoping that means it won't take too long before I can back off on the medication."

• asclepsia
    Options
    Just for today--Friday, April 28:
    Stay at or below 1300 calories
    Exercise--30"
    6000 steps, or more
    File music--30"
    Practice at the church
    Office clutter
    gardening--?
    clean out refrigerator!--that's been on my daily list for the entire week.
    Have a good day everyone! It's lovely here today in southwest PA.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Recap Th 4/27 - rainy day, skipped lunchtime hike at work, choir in evening ....squeeze in short walk with dog if rain ends = so rain ended & temps nosedived...I was exhausted from past late nights & stayed indoors :(
    1) Net calories <100 over daily goal = er, no, but not as bad as the day before...sodium was green (yay!) and sugar only -9 so I'll take it! ;)
    2) Take stairs breaks during workday >25 flights = 28 :smiley:
    3) Floss = yes Day 5 :smiley:
    4) Bedtime by 10:30 & TV off = 10:18 and I feel so much better, rested and full of energy! I know I'll make better food choices than when I'm tired. :smiley:

Just for today F 4/28
    1) Net calories in the green today!
    2) Weather improving in Green Bay, WI - walk dog after work
    3) Finish meal planning and grocery list
    4) Floss

Have a great Friday, everyone!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options

04-26-17

:) Drink water before each meal (a challenge group thing) I do not recommend this, but then I drink a lot of water regularly.
    :/ Finish RT-6 wire entries (work stuff) taking a while longer than expected
    :| Be in bed no later than 11:00 Watched Amazing Race at 10. Walked dog at 11 then was straight off to bed.

04-27-17
    • Today's walks: 20 min @ lunch; hard mile at home
    • Stay in green for calories - been eating over for a few days
    • Keep working on RT-6. (Finish on weekend if necessary)
    • File ACA 3rd transmission
    • Be in bed at 11:30 (midnight thirty is more my usual)
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    THursday, April 27
    1. log all food :/:'(
    2. carry water bottle with me -- trying to make this a habit :/
    3. aim for 6 glasses of water :/
    4. lay out gym clothes for tomorrow morning :/
    5. go for a walk tonite :)
    6. work on ripping out more carpet :)
    7. read success stories :/
    8. search for half size me blog :/

Not the best day yesterday. THis month, I am going to try and figure out WHY I eat too much in the evenings - so much that I can almost make myself sick. Yes, binging (hard word to say).

I know I get walked on. I know I get taken advantage of because to keep peace, I always just stay quiet. My DIL wants me to fly to Connecticut with their family to help watch the boys (hubby is there on business). At first I thought it would be so much fun, but it is turning into a nightmare. Long flights with plane changes just to get there, then, my DIL booked 2 hotel rooms - each with just a king size bed and a sofa bed. I was wondering HOW and where I would be sleeping. Well, the 2 boys (ages 11 and 8), would be in the King bed in my room with me, and I am on the sofa bed. I am 66 years old - those sofa beds are not comfortable for 4 nites!! She and my son would have their own room. I was so upset, yet, I did not say anything. So what do I do -- but eat. Last nite, into the walnuts, ice cream , protein bars, anything I could find.

Also, a friend I walk with has been upsetting me - again - I am feeling taken advantage of. I don't tell her what is bothering me, but when I get home, I grabbed more walnuts.

This morning I figured I could either say something (and have DIL and son upset with me), or make the most of it, have fun, and call it quality time with my grandsons. Think of it as a nice time for my DIL and hubby to have time alone. Have fun with the boys. My back will survive, and I can rest when I get home. So I have a choice --- be upset, or count the blessing and stay positive. I am not leaving until June. If I continue to let this eat at me, it does no one any good.

So this is my hop, that I can come on here, analyze WHY I binge, and hopefully stop this!

Thank you all for listening -- any input and suggestions is so appreciated.

SO JFT, FRIDAY, April 28
    1. log all food - no matter what I eat
    2. sip on coffee. Aim for 1/2 of cup. I am going to try and stop the diet soda, and learn to like coffee. It is much better for me.
    3. carry my water bottle and sip on water
    4. drink 2 glasses water with each meal
    5. when upset, write down what is bothering me, and what I can do to change either my attitude towards it, or change what is upsetting me.
    6. sew chemo hats tonite
    7. work on quilting
    8. rip out more carpet

It is a rainy day today, and going to rain all weekend.

Hope you all have a good day. Thank you for listening to me :)
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

04-26-17

:) Drink water before each meal (a challenge group thing) I do not recommend this, but then I drink a lot of water regularly.

Why do you not recommend this? THis is what I am trying to do, but then, I have a hard time getting in all my water. I would think drinking water before a meal might make me eat less?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    Just for Friday
    - Weigh and log everything!
    (someone tell me off if I don't)

Right so I'm sure I've missed a couple of things off my diary but I've logged nearly everything.
    And done pretty appallingly..
    BUT I achieved my goal!

So
    Goals for Sat
    - Log everything
    - Go for a walk
    - Be within limit or 200 over at the most.
    -
    April Goals
    March Weight: 12st 6lb
    Current Weight: 12st 5lb
    Target Weight: 10st 7lb
    Lbs to lose this month: 4

Strive for progress, not perfection.
  • junodog1
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »

04-26-17

Why do you not recommend this? THis is what I am trying to do, but then, I have a hard time getting in all my water. I would think drinking water before a meal might make me eat less?

Our task was to have two days this week where we drink 16 oz of water 30 minutes before our meals. It was the thirty minutes that caused me an issue.

Breakfast - I bring water to bed and so have an empty cup upstairs in the morning.
    If it's a day where I shower in the morning, no problem - I can drink when I get up and am running around. Voila! 30 minutes has passed before I am downstairs for breakfast.
    However I usually shower the night before and therefore am eating breakfast about 15 minutes after I am up, then I am out the door.
    This week I stuck with the program drank my water, grabbed a banana and ate that after 30 minutes. Timing with the water drinking did not allow me to fry and egg or heat up oats or even eat cold cereal while sitting in my kitchen.

Lunch - I don't usually know when lunch is going to be. Typically I pack my lunch so when it looks like I have a break I will get up and eat. I don't know when 30 minutes before lunch is.

Dinner time - not a problem to schedule this one meal.

I drink water all day already and I log my water so I make sure I am getting my numbers. I drink water on my drive to work, I take 20 oz of water to drink in bed as I read, I drink all day long. The 30 minutes pre-meal thing just is not needed. Plus if my meal is prelogged I want to eat that amount, and don;t need to feel fuller than I really am.

I think the idea of drinking before you eat or with your meal is a good idea, but the 30 minutes before is bleagh.
  • Saragirl2
    Saragirl2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Yesterday went very well & I seemed to be more mindful after tracking. BUT-I weighed myself this am & the scale was the same. In the past, this would have set the tone for the day! Not today! I moved on, have continued to stick to what I pretracked, worked out with a friend who is a newbie at the gym & even avoided the free pizza that was placed in front of me when I donated blood.

Track meals & snacks (partially pretracked)
    Tracking birthday cake! My eldest turned 13!
    Aim for 100 grams of protein (going to increases this to 140 grams)
    Walked dog am & pm (strapped for time)
    Elliptical 10 mins
    Listen to Half Size Me webinar
    Weight machines & abs
    Aim for 8 cups of water
    30 min nap in afternoon
    Bed by 9:30

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always gotten...change things!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just for Thursday, 4/27/17
    1. Stay in the green :D Yes!!!
    2. Water intake, increase by 10 oz over yesterday :) Sure did!
    3. Step goal: More than yesterday! :sThis would be a great big NOPE! Stuck to my laptop working for about 12 hours and then crashed
    4. Listen to a Half Size Me podcast ;)Tried to but kept getting interrupted
    5. Prep for work tomorrow, tonight: Lunch, clothes, laptop bag :)Nope, because I'm working from home today.
    6. Create a realistic Must-Do list from my current To-Do list. Top 3 things to complete for work tomorrow. :)Sure did. Taking really good notes so I know what I need to do to fix the bugs today also.
    5. Read, relax and unplug one hour before bed. Nope. Amazing Race was on tv so stayed up later. Did read and journal though.

Just for Friday, 4/28/2017
    1. Stay in the green
    2. 80 oz of decaf today
    3. Get as much done today as I can so I don't have to work both days this weekend!
    4. Listen to Half Size Me podcast today
    5. Be kind to others even if they are not kind to me
    6. Take time to smell the roses today...take joy in the small things.
    7. Read, journal and unplug early tonight so I can get up early tomorrow and try to get some stuff done in the morning.

Happy Friday! (My very favorite night of the week...)
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    THursday, April 27
    Not the best day yesterday. THis month, I am going to try and figure out WHY I eat too much in the evenings - so much that I can almost make myself sick. Yes, binging (hard word to say).

I know I get walked on. I know I get taken advantage of because to keep peace, I always just stay quiet. My DIL wants me to fly to Connecticut with their family to help watch the boys (hubby is there on business). At first I thought it would be so much fun, but it is turning into a nightmare. Long flights with plane changes just to get there, then, my DIL booked 2 hotel rooms - each with just a king size bed and a sofa bed. I was wondering HOW and where I would be sleeping. Well, the 2 boys (ages 11 and 8), would be in the King bed in my room with me, and I am on the sofa bed. I am 66 years old - those sofa beds are not comfortable for 4 nites!! She and my son would have their own room. I was so upset, yet, I did not say anything. So what do I do -- but eat. Last nite, into the walnuts, ice cream , protein bars, anything I could find.

Also, a friend I walk with has been upsetting me - again - I am feeling taken advantage of. I don't tell her what is bothering me, but when I get home, I grabbed more walnuts.

This morning I figured I could either say something (and have DIL and son upset with me), or make the most of it, have fun, and call it quality time with my grandsons. Think of it as a nice time for my DIL and hubby to have time alone. Have fun with the boys. My back will survive, and I can rest when I get home. So I have a choice --- be upset, or count the blessing and stay positive. I am not leaving until June. If I continue to let this eat at me, it does no one any good.

So this is my hop, that I can come on here, analyze WHY I binge, and hopefully stop this!

SO JFT, FRIDAY, April 28
    1. log all food - no matter what I eat
    2. sip on coffee. Aim for 1/2 of cup. I am going to try and stop the diet soda, and learn to like coffee. It is much better for me.
    3. carry my water bottle and sip on water
    4. drink 2 glasses water with each meal
    5. when upset, write down what is bothering me, and what I can do to change either my attitude towards it, or change what is upsetting me.
    6. sew chemo hats tonite
    7. work on quilting
    8. rip out more carpet

It is a rainy day today, and going to rain all weekend.

Hope you all have a good day. Thank you for listening to me :)

Hey Joan, I can totally relate to much of this. I also used to get walked on A LOT. I think it is a great idea to keep track of what you are feeling and what your triggers are. I have been doing this for a while and have made some changes because of it. Some of those changes have been to turn the negatives into looking for positives. Some of the changes have been to stop doing certain things with certain people. Others I'm still working on...work mostly.

Can you explain to your DIL how uncomfortable you will be sleeping on a pull-out sofa? Can they get a room with 2 queen beds and a pull out that the boys can take turns sleeping on? At their age, their backs could tolerate it much better. Those are not comfortable at all! It could just be that your DIL didn't even think about the comfort side of things...I find that our kids don't realize what having bodies 20+ years older than theirs feels like! Once I started pointing out to them that I also work a full time job and am much older than they are, they started thinking about that before asking me to take the kids on overnighters so they could have a break.

Also, if you don't currently drink coffee, you probably will not like the change from diet soda to coffee! Maybe using a tsp of Sugar Free powdered creamer would help? Or French Vanilla Stevia? it gives it a bit of sweetening and tastes pretty good. I use the Caramel Vanilla Sugar Free powdered creamer. I know it isn't all natural, but I haven't been able to give this one thing up yet and go to Stevia. ;)

Hang in there! We are all in the same boat, or we have been at one time or other, or we wouldn't be here, right? I'm glad you talked to us about it. It's nice just to get things off our chest sometimes. ((gentle hugs my friend))

• asclepsia
    Options
    @Joan6630: "I love how we inspire each other - and I know for me, getting on here keeps me focused! So thank you all for all the inspiration, new ideas, etc!"
    So true. Somehow I feel that if I have posted goals, then I had better get going on them and be productive!Thanks for your post.
  • cschmitz110515
    edited April 2017
    Options
    THursday, April 27
    I know I get walked on. I know I get taken advantage of because to keep peace, I always just stay quiet. My DIL wants me to fly to Connecticut with their family to help watch the boys (hubby is there on business). At first I thought it would be so much fun, but it is turning into a nightmare. Long flights with plane changes just to get there, then, my DIL booked 2 hotel rooms - each with just a king size bed and a sofa bed. I was wondering HOW and where I would be sleeping. Well, the 2 boys (ages 11 and 8), would be in the King bed in my room with me, and I am on the sofa bed. I am 66 years old - those sofa beds are not comfortable for 4 nites!! She and my son would have their own room. I was so upset, yet, I did not say anything.

Hey Joan, I can totally relate to much of this. I also used to get walked on A LOT. I think it is a great idea to keep track of what you are feeling and what your triggers are. I have been doing this for a while and have made some changes because of it. Some of those changes have been to turn the negatives into looking for positives. Some of the changes have been to stop doing certain things with certain people. Others I'm still working on...work mostly.

Can you explain to your DIL how uncomfortable you will be sleeping on a pull-out sofa? Can they get a room with 2 queen beds and a pull out that the boys can take turns sleeping on? At their age, their backs could tolerate it much better. Those are not comfortable at all! It could just be that your DIL didn't even think about the comfort side of things...I find that our kids don't realize what having bodies 20+ years older than theirs feels like! Once I started pointing out to them that I also work a full time job and am much older than they are, they started thinking about that before asking me to take the kids on overnighters so they could have a break.

Hang in there! We are all in the same boat, or we have been at one time or other, or we wouldn't be here, right? I'm glad you talked to us about it. It's nice just to get things off our chest sometimes. ((gentle hugs my friend))

Hi Joan - I agree with Tracie's suggestions. In my opinion, there's no reason why you should sleep on a sofa bed, and two boys get the king bed. Ask SON or DIL or at the hotel for a room with two beds. The boys could even share a queen or double bed - it wouldn't kill them. This from a girl who grew up with 4 siblings in a 3-bedroom house, and shared a double bed with her sister all the way through high school graduation. If you're there to help them out, they should also help you out. Besides, you're the grandma!

Just so you know, I used be the one "afraid to rock the boat." As I have grown older (I'm 59), I care less and less about that. Now, if I want / need something to be changed, I ask. Not demand or whine, just politely ask, and sometimes I give my reasons. Usually, the change is granted, but not always. Sometimes I get a little more forceful, but I try to pick my battles so I don't alienate everyone I know. :wink:

Best wishes, and have fun while you're there!
    Carmela

• HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was a part of a quit smoking forum that had several things similar to this and now I will be able to do this for my weight as well! I know I'm a few months late but here we go!

Just for today:
    1. Record everything no matter what!
    2. Drink 3-32oz cups of water
    3. Go to bed before 10:30pm
    4. Walk up aand down my super long driveway 5 times.

All of those are semi-easily attainable for today!

-Hannah!
  • michelle1173
    michelle1173 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

JFT for 4/28
    -Complete to-do list
    -Pick up healthy dinner food and snacks at supermarket
    -Plan Monday's healthy dinner
    -Strength training (20 min)
    -Make sure up and dressed by 8 am
    -Write jft and to-do list for next day

Yes to all!

Jft 4/29
    -Make healthy food choices
    -Drink a lot of water
    -Complete 1 item on to-do list
    -Try to do 15 min of cardio. If not, must be done for 20 min Sun
  • asclepsia
    Options
    asclepsia wrote: »
    Just for today--Friday, April 28:
    Stay at or below 1300 calories; with 8500 steps, it was in the green.
    Exercise--30"--no
    6000 steps, or more--yes--8500
    File music--30"-yes +15"
    Practice at the church-yes
    Office clutter--no
    gardening-just pulled out a few weeds
    clean out refrigerator!--that's been on my daily list for the entire week. -yes, finally there's a little room in there
    Have a good day everyone! It's lovely here today in southwest PA.

• junodog1
    Options

04-27-17
    :/ Today's walks: 20 min mile @ lunch; hard mile at home I did walk at lunch but I did not get my "hard mile" in. By hard I mean I do as fast a walk as possible, no jogging, kind of a race walk. The lunch walk is on flat land, but walks at home are on steep hills. Yesterday the high temp was 95 and at 8:00 at night it was still 85 degrees. We just walked the dog a half mile.
    :) Stay in green for calories - been eating over for a few days
    :) Keep working on RT-6. (Finish on weekend if necessary)
    :) File ACA 3rd transmission
    :) Be in bed at 11:30 (midnight thirty is more my usual)

Such a weird week. Temperature shot up 10 degrees in 2 days. Wednesday we still had the air conditioning off. Today we are dreading setting foot outside.

04-28-17
    • Regardless of the heat, go out with my daughter, because how often does she want to do that
    • Drink more H20 than usual
    • Pack one box for give away
    • Plan dinners for the week.
    • Do the hard mile.

• cschmitz110515
    Options
    Recap F 4/28
    1) Net calories in the green today! Yes finally :smiley:
    2) Weather improving in Green Bay, WI - walk dog after work = walked 3 miles :smiley:
    3) Finish meal planning and grocery list = progress / not done :/
    4) Floss = no, it was lazy Friday :/

Just for today Sat. 4/29
    1) Stay in green for net calories
    2) Drink >64 oz. water
    3) Really, finish meal plans and grocery list! Done already :smiley:
    4) Walk dog
    5) Clear leaves off gardens and haul to curb
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Friday, 4/28/2017
    1. Stay in the green :D YES! I'm patting myself on the back. First day I did not allow myself to grab sugary crap before bed.
    2. 80 oz of decaf today :) 74 oz, so pretty close. I'll take it!
    3. Get as much done today as I can so I don't have to work both days this weekend! :/ Still can't figure out why my build isn't working. UGH.
    4. Listen to Half Size Me podcast today ;) Didn't have a chance again, but I do plan to listen today when I walk this afternoon.
    5. Be kind to others even if they are not kind to me :) Yes I am, even when when my feelings are hurt. Big girl panties are on! lol
    6. Take time to smell the roses today...take joy in the small things. :) I really did this yesterday. Took time to notice the small things.
    7. Read, journal and unplug early tonight so I can get up early tomorrow and try to get some stuff done in the morning. :# Well this was certainly a FAIL! I didn't even wake up until almost 10:00 this morning. Felt like I lost half my day! But I must've really been feeling run down or I would never have slept that late.

I listened to a podcast yesterday about a physician who was diagnosed with MS, which progressed being in a wheelchair. She did research and changed her diet and started taking different supplements and is actually back to riding a bicycle now. Her story is fascinating to me, and I'm going to read her book. I'm a true believer that what you put into your body affects your overall health. So, I'm feeling a bit more resolved about the low carb, detox from sugar thing again. I struggle with it since my sweet tooth can be an annoying little pain in the *kitten*, but at least I feel like I am going in the right direction again.

Today for me is about being present and being aware. Aware of the small things that I miss because I'm always in a hurry or stressed, aware of what I'm eating by taking the time to really taste, smell and enjoy each bite, aware of people around me by really listening to them, not just hearing. I am going to get healthy. That is my end goal. Of course, wearing cute summer clothes would be an added plus, but the ultimate reason for this journey for me is that I want to feel healthy again. We have 17 grandkids and 3 great-grands, and I want to be around to enjoy them as long as I can. That is what I need to remember... Thanks for letting me get that out there in writing. :blush:

JFT, Saturday:
    1. Stay in the green & hydrate
    2. Grocery shop smart. Organic berries, healthy greens, heart healthy nuts...
    3. Listen to today's podcasts
    4. 30 minutes activity, even if it is 10 minutes at a time. Get 'er done!
    5. Try a new recipe today and don't tell the family it is a "healthy" version. See if they notice.
    6. Slow down. Enjoy, be grateful and be in the present.
    7. Do at least one self-care item today...a nice bubble bath, read a magazine, or buy myself flowers--something...
    8. Rent a couple of movies from the Red Box for movie night with hubby. Be present.
    9. Unplug. Stay off social media sites (except MFP and Pinterest! LOL). Don't need the negativity.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was a part of a quit smoking forum that had several things similar to this and now I will be able to do this for my weight as well! I know I'm a few months late but here we go!

Just for today:
    1. Record everything no matter what!
    2. Drink 3-32oz cups of water
    3. Go to bed before 10:30pm
    4. Walk up aand down my super long driveway 5 times.

All of those are semi-easily attainable for today!

-Hannah!

So I recorded everything I ate yesterday(and boy did I over do it!)
    I drank way more then 96oz of water yesterday(I drink water like it's going out of style!)
    Laid down and turned out the lights around 10, so I was probably out by 10:30pm so that's a win!
    And I only walked up and down the driveway once last night.

So for today(it's late in the afternoon so I've done most of these already Lol)

1. Stay as close to green as possible
    2. Take a walk(Done. Did my normal route of 4.33 miles)
    3. Read my Bible
    4. Spend time with the Hubby
    5. Go to bed before 11pm

So we'll see how the rest of the night goes!

Have a great day everyone!