Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Options

Replies

• kirbygirl41
    kirbygirl41 Posts: 304 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    3/25
    Steps 7000 :)
    Drink 24 ounces of water :)
    Log all food and stay under goal :)

Ended the day with a call from the retirement home my inlaws live in. My mother in law fell and broke her shoulder. My husband and I were at the hospital and settled her into the health care part of the facility mom and dad live in till 1:00am. I don't think I feel asleep till 2:00. Up, showered, and getting ready for church. After church back to mom and dad's. My goal for today:

3/26
    Get a nap in when I can.
    Eat carefully. I have some pre measured out meals. I'll stick to them today. Even if I don't take the time to log them I'll be ok.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    @kirbygirl41

I hope you're okay
    Thoughts are with you and I hope your MIL recovers quick!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Yesterday Sat. 3/25/17
    1) Treadmill at least 1.75 miles...cold, rainy, windy weekend = no dog walks, and 10K is next Sat. - Yes :smile:
    2) Drink > 8 glasses of water - Yes 8 :smile:
    3) Eat fewer calories than yesterday - Yes, still over goal but logged and under the previous day's :smile:
    4) Floss - No :s

Just for today Sun. 3/26/17
    1) Drink 8 - 10 glasses of water
    2) Log food
    3) Floss
    4) Bedtime by 10:30 w/o TV

@kirbygirl41
    Prayers for you, hubby, and in-laws.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    @kirbygirl41 - so sorry to hear about your MIL. I hope she gets on the mend soon, and I hope you get that rest in today. Take good care of yourself also. Prayers for you all.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Ladies can I ask -

What is your motivation? Do you have a goal? Like a holiday or similar?

I've been struggling recently because my main goal was that we would be going on holiday this year. But as that's not looking likely, I've essentially got nothing to work towards
    And I'm struggling to get that same level of motivation I had in the start of January and Feb.

I guess I need a new perspective!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I missed you all this week. Haven't been on forever it feels like. Lots of drama going on this week, and it makes me want to hide under a rock until it all blows over.

@shenna333: I don't know how you do it! It's hard to keep the house in order just babysitting for the grandkids! :)

@joan6630 I had to laugh at your comment about staying away from the nuts and measuring out 1/4 c. servings! I have really been going overboard on peanuts and almonds lately...and I actually DO measure them into little snack baggies 1/4 c servings. It still doesn't stop me from grabbing 3 bags at a time! I feel your pain... :)

You have also inspired me to start quilting again. I couldn't decide what to make but I've decided to start making a few lap quilts that I can donate to the cancer center in town. I know when I was on chemo, i was always chilly, and a nice little quilt would have been nice. What better way to use up scraps?

@wikkidwanda I struggle with water too! I did go to Woodmans and buy some Stevia-based flavor drops for my water (100% Vit C from juice also) called Stur and it is pretty darn good! I got the pomegranate flavor. It has helped me a lot! Doesn't take much of it to make the water taste good to me either so well worth it for me. I had to laugh at your comment for Friday to "bring veggies for a snack (and eat them)". I brought the same 3 baggies of carrots, celery and broccoli to work last week 3 days in a row and never touched them! LOL! I feel your pain...

@ Bex953172 I'm glad you like journaling. I find when I go back to like a year ago and see what I wrote, it really helps me to realize how far I've come...not just weight or health-wise, but even just in life in general. I also have to tell you that I love your posts. You make me smile every day!

@kirbygirl41 Good luck to your daughter! How cool! I'm so jealous that you can actually start looking for flowers where you live! It's 42 here today and raining and I'm just happy it's rain and not snow! :) I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.

@Charisse Prepping and planning my meals for the next day helps me stick to healthy foods a lot! Great plan!

• PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Ladies can I ask -

What is your motivation? Do you have a goal? Like a holiday or similar?

I've been struggling recently because my main goal was that we would be going on holiday this year. But as that's not looking likely, I've essentially got nothing to work towards
    And I'm struggling to get that same level of motivation I had in the start of January and Feb.

I guess I need a new perspective!!

My motivation right now is because of a girls' weekend in Chicago coming up. I want to feel comfortable wearing a swimsuit by the pool. But my main motivation is to get healthy. I had stage III breast cancer 5 years ago. I had bilateral mastectomies, 5 months of chemotherapy and then 6 weeks of radiation treatments. Now, along with wanting to look and feel better, I want to do everything I can to be healthy for my kids and grandkids for many more years! and I want to feel good enough to enjoy the years I have left. Sounds morbid or depressing, I'm sure, but I really don't want to ever have to go through that again! :)

Plus, I want to be able to wear short-sleeved shirts and tank tops this summer and not feel like they are too tight across my back~ :smile:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Better late than never, right?

Just for Sunday:
    1. Stay within calories and journal every bite
    2. 80 oz of water
    3. 30 minutes on treadmill OR exercise DVD
    4. Prep for tomorrow, tonight. (Pack breakfast, snacks and lunch. Set out work clothes.)
    5. Pre-journal food for tomorrow.
    6. Take 10 minutes to meditate (well, I'll try. I don't really know how but downloaded an app to listen to so I'll try that!)
    7. Finish decluttering the office.
    8. 1,000 steps more than yesterday.
    9. Read out of Simple Abundance... book and journal
    10. Unplug and unwind one hour before bed.

I really need to find a place of peace right now. There is so much drama going on at work, that I have not been able to relax or even sleep well. I'm going to try a meditation app today that I found and downloaded and see if it helps. I figure it can't hurt. I'm also hoping if I walk on treadmill or do an exercise DVD, it may help work out some of the stress. I would love to just go outside and take a walk, but it is raining and cold here today so I'll have to improvise.

I've been eating my feelings for a week and it's making me feel terrible. So.....today is a new day, and every day can be a new start, right?

I hope you all had a great weekend!
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Goals for Sunday
    - Keep up motivation/focus - yes I stayed focused on what I was eating
    - Eat less than today uhmm need to check but pretty sure I did
    - Drink more (water) than yesterday - yeah not my ch though
    - Exercise - no, had far too much to do!
    - Journal forgot last night
    - Do something I enjoy - no not really

Goals for Monday
    - Take daughter to settling in session at nursery! First day!
    - Eat less calories than yesterday
    - Drink more
    - Actually exercise today!!
    - read some success stories!
    - don't forget to journal!

March Goals
    Current Weight: 12st 6lb
    Target Weight: 10st 7lb
    Lbs to lose this month: 4

Motto for March
    Strive for progress, not perfection.

• kwfitgal
    kwfitgal Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    JFT 27 Mar Monday:
    1. Log and stay w/i cal limits
    2. 3+ pints water/tea
    3. abs challenge day 6
    4. Pick bathroom paint color/order color samples
    5. Peacefulness (esp. in taking care of at least 3 sick children :/ )

Have a super Monday, ladies!
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    Yesterday Sun. 3/26/17
    1) Drink 8 - 10 glasses of water - Yes 10....have to remind myself more at home :smile:
    2) Log food - Yes...went over goal but logged :#
    3) Floss - Yes Day 1 :smiley:
    4) Bedtime by 10:30 w/o TV - Yes 10:25 :smile:

For the past week, ever since I focused more on staying within daily goal, I've been snacking at night. That never used to be a problem for me. Need to figure out what works so I don't sabotage myself.

Just for today M 3/27/17
    1) Keep w/i 100 of daily goal / smart evening snacking
    2) Walk dog after work
    3) Work on updating financials
    4) Floss
    5) Bedtime by 10:30 no TV
  • Bex953172
    Options
    For the past week, ever since I focused more on staying within daily goal, I've been snacking at night. That never used to be a problem for me. Need to figure out what works so I don't sabotage myself.

I keep doing the same! It's so hard to not snack and then when I start I can't stop!
  • cschmitz110515
    Options
    @Bex953172
    My motivation is several things. To be honest, I am on the "slow and steady" route in MFP, losing weight without drastically changing my lifestyle (portion control, healthy eating most of the time, but allow for indulgences...just not too many).

Mainly my health. My heredity includes certain health conditions like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart conditions, strokes and certain cancers. I also have longevity in my family, with grandparents living into their 90s. So I want to be a healthy old woman, and be able to do things when I retire in 5-7 years. My MIL lived to be nearly 100, lived with hubby and myself for her last 12 years, and she became less and less active as years passed. I want to be active as long as possible.

Two of my last three employers have annual health assessments. My current employer bases my insurance deductible based on my health score, with better scores costing less. Fortunately for me, there is also a program to earn points and reduce the insurance cost that way. I want to be in a healthier range on each assessment, so eventually, I won't even need to earn points. So far that has happened, and my next assessment is June 2. That's my competitiveness showing. :wink:

Also, about 15 years ago I lost 50 pounds on Weight Watchers, but after life changes, I gradually put it all back on. I have some really nice clothes in my closet that I'd like to wear again. And I want to go clothes shopping again, just not the size I am right now.

Finally, and very important to me, I haven't worn my wedding band for about four years. I refuse to get it resized, and my goal is to wear it again. I'm about 15lbs away. :smile:

Sorry for the long answer to your question, but for me, it's not just one motivation factor, it's a bunch. :smiley:
  • wikkidwanda
    wikkidwanda Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    @OConnell5483
    Thanks. I'm terrible for not eating things I bring for lunch, healthy or not, sometimes, I'll bring the SAME lunch every day and just not eat it.

I got all my water in this weekend, but honestly, that was because I was in a weekend dance intensive, so I was working my butt off.... I'll look up those drops. Currently I'm trying to stay away from mio and crystal light for the sodium content, but I love pop... I've been trying to use the soda stream (though it's just NOT the same) and have gotten a little beter about hat.

JFT my goals

1.5 lt water
    eat fruit and veggies that I brought to work
    only eat HALF of the chinese left overs I brought
    30 minute walk (maybe try for an hour)
    record all food
    STAY WITHIN CALORIES. (was over this weekend... turns out Denny's is a "share your meal because the calories are half a day's food)
    do some planking
    squats when I get up to use the washroom.

Good job everyone!!
  • Joyful115
    Joyful115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone :) ... I am a one day at a time type of chick in theory... lol ;)

So just for today~

Stay within my allotted calories
    Stay positive
    Read some scripture
    Pray at least 2 times today for someone else
    work out after work at lease 15min on the bike... (BIG)

• mytime6630
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Bex953172
    You were asking how to stay motivated. I understand , it is so hard!! I had the most awful weekend - of binge eating. So much I made myself sick. I know I have this problem, even though I don't want to admit it. If anything starts to bother me, or stress me out, I eat mindlessly. I ended up going to the grocery store when I was hungry. Once again, they had ice cream on sale, 2 or $7.00. Thinking I would give one to my daughter, and have one for when "she" comes out, I bought 2. I am ashamed to say, but over the weekend, both of these cartons are now empty, and I did not give any to my daughter. She loves bridge mix, and since we buy her groceries - I bought her a bag. But ... I ended up eating it! Once I get started, something shuts off in my brain, and I think I don't even realize what I am doing. Our beautiful daughter diagnosed as schizoaffective in 2011. Before that, she got a Masters in Occupational therapy - so this was very hard to accept. So I ate. When I see her, and see the pain in her face and the loneliness, I eat. When I am unable to help her, I eat. But I realize this is just a excuse. We all have things in life that can make those old habits come back so quickly.

So I know I have to change this. Most days, when I carry my water bottle with me, I do OK. But once I get started on sugary stuff, all the motivation goes away. But this is my #1 reason that I need to stop this destructive behavior, before I get diabetes, or have health-related problems because of being obese.

So how do I get back on track, and stay motivated?? I have a notebook hidden in my bathroom. On that notebook, I have what I will weigh each month if I can lose just 4 pounds a month. That is only a pound a week. I look at this notebook every morning, and kinda journal how I did the day before. I don't write much, just a little. But when I look at that notebook, I can see that by Christmas, I could be at my goal weight. I could once again get in those pretty dresses I have in the closet, and feel and look nice. I could have more energy. Next New Years, I would be starting the new year at the weight I was meant to be.

I am 67, and I don't want to be one of those old ladies that just sits and watches tv. I want to remain active, and live the best life I can.

I lost four of my siblings before any of them reached the age of 60. A brother from leukemia, another brother to pancreas cancer, a sister, who was very overweight, choked to death while eating a bratwurst, and then another brother took his own life. So I realize how short life can be. Thats when I ask myself everyday, " is this how I want to live my life being obese". I never want to go anywhere, unless I can wear my "comfy" clothes. If my husband wants to go to the symphony of anywhere where we have to get dressed up, I don't want to go. Since I work out of my home, being "comfy" is easy to do.

So don't wait until you have a holiday or vacation planned! Don't wait until that special occasion comes where you can look nice. I want to look nice all the time. I want to feel healthy. And when those special occasions show up, or a unplanned holiday or vacation, you will be ready, and not have to try and lose 20 lbs in a month (been there... tried that!).

I also lost 38 pounds on weight watchers 8 years ago. I never felt better. I was riding my bike for 30 mile stretches easily. I loved going places, because I knew I looked nice. I had more energy. This is what I want to be like again.

You have small children. If I were you, I am sure you are getting plenty of exercise with them alone. But teaching your children to eat healthy is also a great motivator.

You are doing great! I know, at least for myself, if I can get 4 good days out of the week without binging I call it a OK week. Yes, I would love perfection. But I know in the real world that does not happen.

Like you had said --- we are all someday going to have our own "success" stories to share !!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Saturday, 3.25
    1. carry that water bottle with me :/
    2. be conscious and aware of what I eat. No mindless eating :/:/
    3. clean house :)
    4. clean up my sewing room :/
    5. finish laundry :)
    6. plan meals for the week :/:)
    7. get grandson a birthday present so I can get it mailed next week
    8. drink water!!!! :/
    9. lay out gym clothes :/
    10. get back on here tomorrow - be accountable :/

Sunday was a day of mindless eating .... time to get back on track again

JFT, Monday
    1. log ALL food
    2. when I want to snack, wait 10 minutes. Drink water first.
    3. eat only at the kitchen table. No more eating in my office while I sew or work
    4. carry my water bottle with me at all times, and drink water
    5. go to Zumba Class tonite!! Went saturday morning, and loved it!!!!
    6. if I eat popcorn, eat only 1 cup, and then stop eating for the evening.
    7. No hiding while eating. Eat at the table, in front of my husband to see. No more sneak eating

I hope you all have a great day!
  • mytime6630
    Options

You have also inspired me to start quilting again. I couldn't decide what to make but I've decided to start making a few lap quilts that I can donate to the cancer center in town. I know when I was on chemo, i was always chilly, and a nice little quilt would have been nice. What better way to use up scraps?

So wonderful!! There are so many worthwhile causes that would love getting quilts! And cancer centers especially. I find sewing so relaxing, and its the best "therapy" for me!
  • mytime6630
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There’s a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.” ~Unknown

I need to remember this today as I get all this sugar out of my system!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Just for Sunday:
    1. Stay within calories and journal every bite :/ I journaled every bite but went over my cals.
    2. 80 oz of water :/ I drank quite a bit but didn't hit 80oz so kind of a win?
    3. 30 minutes on treadmill OR exercise DVD :s I won't even make up excuses. I was lazy on the couch last night.
    4. Prep for tomorrow, tonight. (Pack breakfast, snacks and lunch. Set out work clothes.) :)
    5. Pre-journal food for tomorrow. ;) Didn't pre-journal my food but did pack my lunch last night with healthy stuff.
    6. Take 10 minutes to meditate (well, I'll try. I don't really know how but downloaded an app to listen to so I'll try that!) :) I did do this. 10 minutes sure goes by a lot faster when you are meditating than it does at work!
    7. Finish decluttering the office. :/ I may never find my desk again. funny how one thing leads to another to another and another...
    8. 1,000 steps more than yesterday. :)
    9. Read out of Simple Abundance... book and journal :)
    10. Unplug and unwind one hour before bed. :)

Just for Monday:
    1. Eat only what I packed for snacks and lunch today.
    2. Water - at least 60 oz
    3. Hold my head up at work today and try not to allow myself to show how hurt I am by recent drama
    4. Activity today. of some sort. just do it. get off the ol' derriere and move.
    5. Get Phase I of my current work project done.
    6. No complaining or crying about work tonight when I get home. Leave it at the office.
    7. Random act of kindness, at least one.
    8. Gratitude journal tonight

Keep up the great work everyone! We got this!