Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Police are taught to stand at least 15' away from a suspect who may have a weapon in order to draw their gun if that suspect charges.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I work in law enforcement, and I've never heard that ever. Out of curiousity where did you get that information?
    My bad if it's not 15'. It may be 21'. Something I remember when reading police training instruction against armed assailants with a holstered unit.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/09/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Listen, I would never belittle the efforts of any woman who wanted to take measures to protect herself.
    I just think that, unless you are fairly experienced with being in a threatening situation, you want the thing that is easiest to use.
    Pretty hard to aim a pistol when you are shaking, let alone unsnap it from your holster that is in the back of your sports bra.

**I don't know too many people who feel comfortable carrying concealed without training.
    THIS. Personally I think a knife would be easier to use and is usually enough of a deterrent against an assailant.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting
    Lol, why because you disagree? :D
    So an assailant holding a knife is enough to deter people to listen, but not enough for an assailant to think twice?
    Predators don't want a fight. ANY resistance or awareness that they are there, is many times enough to dissuade an attack.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So some cubicle worker is somehow going to take a knife out of his or her pocket, unfold it, hold it in a meaninful way and tell a bad guy to "back off!" ?

Okay, you might scare off the tweaker that's 20 feet away.

You might feel confident, or invincible because you have that little piece of steel, when you should be running the (kitten) away.

Or, you'll just get cut with your own knife that you clumsily fumbled and dropped while deploying - or stabbed yourself, because the other guy was already ready to do harm. The bad guy is used to getting hit/kicked/punched/stabbed. He's probably lead a life with some violence in it.

Or get dead, because you've now escalated the situation by brandishing but not being willing to use the knife.

Any method you use, you have to drill frequently. Experts I've done training with, retired law enforcement officers, train daily. If you can't deploy and use your method within seconds, well.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Those of you who are opposed to carrying a gun. Have you considered the endless variables you are in every single day?
    How about grocery shopping? At the mall? Walking out to your car after being out to eat...or just being out to eat?
    Anything can happen anytime. I hope nobody says having a gun is the perfect answer for every situation, because it's not. But minimizing risk is the best approach. It just is.
    And whomever said a knife...please stop. If there was a fighting league and the face off was of a 125 pound woman with a knife and a 220 dude with nothing. Who is your money on?
    I keep thinking of the story where a woman who had her concealed permit was going to eat with her mom and brother(?)...family members whatever. Anyway. Someone lunatic came in blasting up the place. What do you think she did?
    @ninerbuff sorry you were the one who mentioned the knife
    In a "fighting league" okay. But we're talking predators with likely no experience in actually fighting out in general public looking for a VICTIM. Lol, if a 125lbs woman pulled a knife out on me (and I'm over 200lbs), I'm NOT gonna see if I can take her without getting injured. I doubt any regular guy would.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Listen, I would never belittle the efforts of any woman who wanted to take measures to protect herself.
    I just think that, unless you are fairly experienced with being in a threatening situation, you want the thing that is easiest to use.
    Pretty hard to aim a pistol when you are shaking, let alone unsnap it from your holster that is in the back of your sports bra.

**I don't know too many people who feel comfortable carrying concealed without training.
    THIS. Personally I think a knife would be easier to use and is usually enough of a deterrent against an assailant.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting
    So an assailant holding a knife is enough to deter people to listen, but not enough for an assailant to think twice?
    Predators don't want a fight. ANY resistance or awareness that they are there, is many times enough to dissuade an attack.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're embarrassing yourself
  • ninerbuff
    edited May 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You're embarrassing yourself
    Good thing I take people's opinions here highly. :D It's great that people who just advocate firearms believe that anyone can learn how to shoot someone, but someone can't be taught how to defend themselves with a knife. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Those of you who are opposed to carrying a gun. Have you considered the endless variables you are in every single day?
    How about grocery shopping? At the mall? Walking out to your car after being out to eat...or just being out to eat?
    Anything can happen anytime. I hope nobody says having a gun is the perfect answer for every situation, because it's not. But minimizing risk is the best approach. It just is.
    And whomever said a knife...please stop. If there was a fighting league and the face off was of a 125 pound woman with a knife and a 220 dude with nothing. Who is your money on?
    I keep thinking of the story where a woman who had her concealed permit was going to eat with her mom and brother(?)...family members whatever. Anyway. Someone lunatic came in blasting up the place. What do you think she did?
    @ninerbuff sorry you were the one who mentioned the knife
    In a "fighting league" okay. But we're talking predators with likely no experience in actually fighting out in general public looking for a VICTIM. Lol, if a 125lbs woman pulled a knife out on me (and I'm over 200lbs), I'm NOT gonna see if I can take her without getting injured. I doubt any regular guy would.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Stop giving bad advice on here, or anywhere.
    That knife would be used against you.
    Yes. We have experts here on how to disarm a knife wielder who may have had training. Must have learned from Jake Mace.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bigmuneymfp
    Options
    Lol keep posting!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So some cubicle worker is somehow going to take a knife out of his or her pocket, unfold it, hold it in a meaninful way and tell a bad guy to "back off!" ?

You might feel confident, or invincible because you have that little piece of steel, when you should be running the (kitten) away.

Or, you'll just get cut with your own knife that you clumsily fumbled and dropped while deploying - or stabbed yourself, because the other guy was already ready to do harm. The bad guy is used to getting hit/kicked/punched/stabbed. He's probably lead a life with some violence in it.

Or get dead, because you've now escalated the situation by brandishing but not being willing to use the knife.

Any method you use, you have to drill frequently. Experts I've done training with, retired law enforcement officers, train daily. If you can't deploy and use your method within seconds, well.

Lol, of course the first thought when confronted is to run/get away if possible.
    My first response to the OP was "run in safer areas, run with someone else, or be somewhere where there's lots of public around".
    However, as I mentioned a predator sneaks up on people who aren't aware. ANY WEAPON may be useless if a person is caught off guard.
    Fighting is your last resort. IMO it's easier to pull a knife out of a sheath ( if you're trained to use it) and defend yourself, than to unholster a gun, turn off the safety and try to shoot if someone snuck up and put a choke on you.

People won't agree. That's fine, but I don't believe it's any more bad advice than a holstered gun when someone gets attacked without any warning.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bigmuneymfp
    Options
    It's not about agreement, you have no idea what you're talking about
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol keep posting!!!
    Almost at 39,000 posts. I'm sure I will. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, because you're an expert on the subject? :D Thanks for posting though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • bigmuneymfp
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Never claimed to be

You should start a thread on cardio kickboxing
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Never claimed to be

You should start a thread on cardio kickboxing
    Ah. Well then, people can make up their minds or whether or not I'm a loon or not. I've attended survival training and knife defense was part of it. Trained correctly, it can be pretty devastating and you don't have to be an expert, super fit, or big either.

Can you cardio kickbox? Cause that's not what I teach.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I think someone should start an alpha male thread.

See how that goes.
    It'll be just posting on cars and guns. I drive a van. :D:D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, of course the first thought when confronted is to run/get away if possible.
    My first response to the OP was "run in safer areas, run with someone else, or be somewhere where there's lots of public around".
    However, as I mentioned a predator sneaks up on people who aren't aware. ANY WEAPON may be useless if a person is caught off guard.
    Fighting is your last resort. IMO it's easier to pull a knife out of a sheath ( if you're trained to use it) and defend yourself, than to unholster a gun, turn off the safety and try to shoot if someone snuck up and put a choke on you.

People won't agree. That's fine, but I don't believe it's any more bad advice than a holstered gun when someone gets attacked without any warning.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Quick question for you.

Where on a Glock is the safety that must be "turned off" prior to firing?
    Don't own a Glock so I have no idea. I was speaking in basic terms since I assume every gun has a "safety" of some type correct?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I live in Canada and the thought of someone carrying a gun just walking around is wild to me.

Similar feelings and fellow Canadian.

I'm American and it's mind-boggling to me.

I am also American and I feel the same.
  • ninerbuff
    edited May 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Quick question for you.

Where on a Glock is the safety that must be "turned off" prior to firing?
    Don't own a Glock so I have no idea. I was speaking in basic terms since I assume every gun has a "safety" of some type correct?

The safety on a Glock is a smaller trigger that exists on the trigger. Glocks are straight up made to go "BANG" when you pull the trigger. Draw. Aim. Fire.

Thing about guns is, they can be trained with just like any other self defense tool. You do it until it's muscle memory. But here you are, once again giving advice about firearms when you don't know the first thing about them. You have your assumptions, which are wrong, and clearly indicate that nobody should be paying any heed to what you have to say on this topic.

Maybe you ought to leave the concealed carry discussion to people who know what they're doing.
    My only advice was that it might not be effective when you're not ready to use it. There's a difference in practice and in real life scenarios. Adrenaline makes a lot of people "forget" their training and panic can set in. How do you draw, AIM, and fire at someone with their arm around your neck, behind you and possibly choking you out?
    Even people who are trained and carry them daily and are in instances danger day to day (police officers) make mistakes due to fear for life.
    I gave an example and if you're saying it could never happen, then you have better faith in people who conceal/carry than I do.
    Like martial arts, many scenarios are given to defend against. Works great in a dojo. Different story when it's on the street.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png