• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lizarking wrote: »
    Listen, I would never belittle the efforts of any woman who wanted to take measures to protect herself.
    I just think that, unless you are fairly experienced with being in a threatening situation, you want the thing that is easiest to use.
    Pretty hard to aim a pistol when you are shaking, let alone unsnap it from your holster that is in the back of your sports bra.

**I don't know too many people who feel comfortable carrying concealed without training.
    THIS. Personally I think a knife would be easier to use and is usually enough of a deterrent against an assailant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Just stop posting
    Lol, why because you disagree? :D
    So an assailant holding a knife is enough to deter people to listen, but not enough for an assailant to think twice?
    Predators don't want a fight. ANY resistance or awareness that they are there, is many times enough to dissuade an attack.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So some cubicle worker is somehow going to take a knife out of his or her pocket, unfold it, hold it in a meaninful way and tell a bad guy to "back off!" ?

Okay, you might scare off the tweaker that's 20 feet away.

You might feel confident, or invincible because you have that little piece of steel, when you should be running the (kitten) away.

Or, you'll just get cut with your own knife that you clumsily fumbled and dropped while deploying - or stabbed yourself, because the other guy was already ready to do harm. The bad guy is used to getting hit/kicked/punched/stabbed. He's probably lead a life with some violence in it.

Or get dead, because you've now escalated the situation by brandishing but not being willing to use the knife.

Any method you use, you have to drill frequently. Experts I've done training with, retired law enforcement officers, train daily. If you can't deploy and use your method within seconds, well.

Lol, of course the first thought when confronted is to run/get away if possible.
    My first response to the OP was "run in safer areas, run with someone else, or be somewhere where there's lots of public around".
    However, as I mentioned a predator sneaks up on people who aren't aware. ANY WEAPON may be useless if a person is caught off guard.
    Fighting is your last resort. IMO it's easier to pull a knife out of a sheath ( if you're trained to use it) and defend yourself, than to unholster a gun, turn off the safety and try to shoot if someone snuck up and put a choke on you.

People won't agree. That's fine, but I don't believe it's any more bad advice than a holstered gun when someone gets attacked without any warning.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Quick question for you.

Where on a Glock is the safety that must be "turned off" prior to firing?
    Don't own a Glock so I have no idea. I was speaking in basic terms since I assume every gun has a "safety" of some type correct?

The safety on a Glock is a smaller trigger that exists on the trigger. Glocks are straight up made to go "BANG" when you pull the trigger. Draw. Aim. Fire.

Thing about guns is, they can be trained with just like any other self defense tool. You do it until it's muscle memory. But here you are, once again giving advice about firearms when you don't know the first thing about them. You have your assumptions, which are wrong, and clearly indicate that nobody should be paying any heed to what you have to say on this topic.

Maybe you ought to leave the concealed carry discussion to people who know what they're doing.
    My only advice was that it might not be effective when you're not ready to use it. There's a difference in practice and in real life scenarios. Adrenaline makes a lot of people "forget" their training and panic can set in. How do you draw, AIM, and fire at someone with their arm around your neck, behind you and possibly choking you out?
    Even people who are trained and carry them daily and are in instances danger day to day (police officers) make mistakes due to fear for life.
    I gave an example and if you're saying it could never happen, then you have better faith in people who conceal/carry than I do.
    Like martial arts, many scenarios are given to defend against. Works great in a dojo. Different story when it's on the street.

The vast majority of cops don't train anywhere near as much as I do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Listen, I would never belittle the efforts of any woman who wanted to take measures to protect herself.
    I just think that, unless you are fairly experienced with being in a threatening situation, you want the thing that is easiest to use.
    Pretty hard to aim a pistol when you are shaking, let alone unsnap it from your holster that is in the back of your sports bra.

**I don't know too many people who feel comfortable carrying concealed without training.
    THIS. Personally I think a knife would be easier to use and is usually enough of a deterrent against an assailant.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting
    So an assailant holding a knife is enough to deter people to listen, but not enough for an assailant to think twice?
    Predators don't want a fight. ANY resistance or awareness that they are there, is many times enough to dissuade an attack.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So some cubicle worker is somehow going to take a knife out of his or her pocket, unfold it, hold it in a meaninful way and tell a bad guy to "back off!" ?

You might feel confident, or invincible because you have that little piece of steel, when you should be running the (kitten) away.

Or, you'll just get cut with your own knife that you clumsily fumbled and dropped while deploying - or stabbed yourself, because the other guy was already ready to do harm. The bad guy is used to getting hit/kicked/punched/stabbed. He's probably lead a life with some violence in it.

Or get dead, because you've now escalated the situation by brandishing but not being willing to use the knife.

Any method you use, you have to drill frequently. Experts I've done training with, retired law enforcement officers, train daily. If you can't deploy and use your method within seconds, well.

Lol, of course the first thought when confronted is to run/get away if possible.
    My first response to the OP was "run in safer areas, run with someone else, or be somewhere where there's lots of public around".
    However, as I mentioned a predator sneaks up on people who aren't aware. ANY WEAPON may be useless if a person is caught off guard.
    Fighting is your last resort. IMO it's easier to pull a knife out of a sheath ( if you're trained to use it) and defend yourself, than to unholster a gun, turn off the safety and try to shoot if someone snuck up and put a choke on you.

People won't agree. That's fine, but I don't believe it's any more bad advice than a holstered gun when someone gets attacked without any warning.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Quick question for you.

Don't own a Glock so I have no idea. I was speaking in basic terms since I assume every gun has a "safety" of some type correct?

The safety on a Glock is a smaller trigger that exists on the trigger. Glocks are straight up made to go "BANG" when you pull the trigger. Draw. Aim. Fire.

Thing about guns is, they can be trained with just like any other self defense tool. You do it until it's muscle memory. But here you are, once again giving advice about firearms when you don't know the first thing about them. You have your assumptions, which are wrong, and clearly indicate that nobody should be paying any heed to what you have to say on this topic.

Maybe you ought to leave the concealed carry discussion to people who know what they're doing.
    My only advice was that it might not be effective when you're not ready to use it. There's a difference in practice and in real life scenarios. Adrenaline makes a lot of people "forget" their training and panic can set in. How do you draw, AIM, and fire at someone with their arm around your neck, behind you and possibly choking you out?
    Even people who are trained and carry them daily and are in instances danger day to day (police officers) make mistakes due to fear for life.
    I gave an example and if you're saying it could never happen, then you have better faith in people who conceal/carry than I do.
    Like martial arts, many scenarios are given to defend against. Works great in a dojo. Different story when it's on the street.

I applaud you then. So how many people in general public have the same extensive training as a police officer who own a firearm when it comes to actual confrontation?
    You can be a better driver than a police officer or amateur racer, but can the general public say the same?

Training does make the difference and I'm sure you'll agree, but the training SHOULD emulate actual scenarios and not just choreographed ones. Kinda why I like boxing and jui jitsu. More real time training rather than choreograph.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    KassLea22 wrote: »
    Police are taught to stand at least 15' away from a suspect who may have a weapon in order to draw their gun if that suspect charges.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I work in law enforcement, and I've never heard that ever. Out of curiousity where did you get that information?
    My bad if it's not 15'. It may be 21'. Something I remember when reading police training instruction against armed assailants with a holstered unit.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/09/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Okay. Some police departments may utilize that, but that's not a blanket rule for every police department and that is definitely not a law. So I would just be careful saying that all police are trained with that rule because that's not true.

I don't mean any disrespect at all, I was just curious as to what your source was.
  • slinkyroo
    slinkyroo Posts: 7 Member
    This is such a crazy thread! Im from England and totally didnt understand the question, i thought you were looking for somewhere to put your ipod! I cant believe you all run with guns! ( this is in no way judgement just me being totally shocked by it being a normal thing!)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Thanks for the discussion, This isn't really a ladies only question.

I'm going to read back over the thread a couple times since I'm looking at the same problem/question.

Although, as a 200+ lb 6 ft tall man, my RBF should be sufficient on a public running trail.
  • ninerbuff
    Police are taught to stand at least 15' away from a suspect who may have a weapon in order to draw their gun if that suspect charges.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I work in law enforcement, and I've never heard that ever. Out of curiousity where did you get that information?
    My bad if it's not 15'. It may be 21'. Something I remember when reading police training instruction against armed assailants with a holstered unit.

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2014/09/revisiting-the-21-foot-rule.aspx

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Okay. Some police departments may utilize that, but that's not a blanket rule for every police department and that is definitely not a law. So I would just be careful saying that all police are trained with that rule because that's not true.

I don't mean any disrespect at all, I was just curious as to what your source was.
    Noted.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    slinkyroo wrote: »
    This is such a crazy thread! Im from England and totally didnt understand the question, i thought you were looking for somewhere to put your ipod! I cant believe you all run with guns! ( this is in no way judgement just me being totally shocked by it being a normal thing!)

I carry often, and I really like my 2A rights. In many parts of our country this is becoming a necessity. It's extremely unfortunate that it has come to this. That said, police protection is several minutes away in a situation where you have seconds to be victimized or killed.
  • ninerbuff

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just stop posting

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Quick question for you.

I applaud you then. So how many people in general public have the same extensive training as a police officer who own a firearm when it comes to actual confrontation?
    You can be a better driver than a police officer or amateur racer, but can the general public say the same?

Training does make the difference and I'm sure you'll agree, but the training SHOULD emulate actual scenarios and not just choreographed ones. Kinda why I like boxing and jui jitsu. More real time training rather than choreograph.

Most cops have far less firearms training than you seem to assume they do. I've seen cops brag about firing fewer than ten rounds a year.

People who are just into firearms will generally shoot a few hundred rounds a week. Lots of us take courses where you're going out into an exercise area and targets are presented to you such that you do not know where they're going to show up or when. We do outdoors, indoors, around cars, in the dark, and practice for all kind of conditions.

We're the people you see getting called nutjobs by the same people who say that untrained people shouldn't carry firearms. Though if I'm at the range and some cops show up, I will generally leave unless I know those cops, because the most unsafe firearms handling I have ever seen were cops at the firing range. You should be wishing that cops were as invested in training as my "gun nut" friends and me.
    So is it more that you're concerned about how you're viewed? I've NEVER said anyone who isn't well trained or anyone SHOULDN'T conceal/carry. You're assuming that people think that.
    This stemmed from my POV that a knife may be easier to carry, easier to unsheath and use, and can be deadly IF the person has some decent training with it. If it was totally useless like some have said, then why do they even bother teaching it to Marines and Special Forces? No one HAS to have that fitness and ability to use a knife. If someone snuck up behind you, grabbed you in a choke hold, reaching back and just stabbing several times in just their leg or torso would more than likely have them let go. It doesn't take extensive training to do that, just learning how to be reactive. AND you now have some blood evidence to be able to possibly catch the predator if they are a repeat offender and are in CODIS.
    Point was, there are options. Again, in my first response I believe to be SAFER, is to run where it's safer. Even if that means having to go out of your way to do it. Last thing ANYONE WANTS is a confrontation.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I live in Canada and the thought of someone carrying a gun just walking around is wild to me.

Similar feelings and fellow Canadian.

I'm American and it's mind-boggling to me.

I'm British... what's a gun? ;)
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    captbklee wrote: »
    I also think most people are less likely be willing to follow through with stabbing someone, than with the less-personal pulling of a trigger.

Stabbing someone effectively isn't really all that easy, either. It takes more force than most people think it does.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    It's not about agreement, you have no idea what you're talking about
    Lol, because you're an expert on the subject? :D Thanks for posting though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Never claimed to be

You should start a thread on cardio kickboxing
    Ah. Well then, people can make up their minds or whether or not I'm a loon or not. I've attended survival training and knife defense was part of it. Trained correctly, it can be pretty devastating and you don't have to be an expert, super fit, or big either.

Can you cardio kickbox? Cause that's not what I teach.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

just curious in your training how many times were you unsuccessful?

After this class wouldn't you rather have the ability to defend yourself at a distance?

Just because you have a firearm does not mean you have to pull the trigger. Far too often people who don't carry guns just think that shooting someone would be your first choice.
  • ninerbuff
    I know we got off topic a bit, but I just wanted to throw in a couple more cents regarding the carrying of knives.
    Personally, I think carrying a knife for defense is a bad idea, especially if there are other options. If you're close enough to use a knife, you're close enough for it to be taken away. I also think most people are less likely be willing to follow through with stabbing someone, than with the less-personal pulling of a trigger.
    Disagree. If a predator is on you, the same could be said about a gun. And if you're in a life or death situation, ANYONE would use anything at their disposal to save their life.
    Also, I was Army Special Forces and they don't teach knife combat for any reason other than to foster aggression and willingness to close with and destroy the enemy. If they actually wanted us to use knives, they would have issued them to us. You know what knives are primarily used for? Opening MREs (meals ready to eat).
    That was my point though. Predators who are trying to abduct someone don't usually just come up and say "hey, I'm going to take you" and stand in plain site so they CAN get shot. They search, stalk the victim, look at their surrounding and then strike when they think the victim WON'T BE READY. And that's almost in every case from behind and ends up being within arms reach.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited May 2017
    I know we got off topic a bit, but I just wanted to throw in a couple more cents regarding the carrying of knives.
    Personally, I think carrying a knife for defense is a bad idea, especially if there are other options. If you're close enough to use a knife, you're close enough for it to be taken away. I also think most people are less likely be willing to follow through with stabbing someone, than with the less-personal pulling of a trigger.
    Disagree. If a predator is on you, the same could be said about a gun. And if you're in a life or death situation, ANYONE would use anything at their disposal to save their life.
    Also, I was Army Special Forces and they don't teach knife combat for any reason other than to foster aggression and willingness to close with and destroy the enemy. If they actually wanted us to use knives, they would have issued them to us. You know what knives are primarily used for? Opening MREs (meals ready to eat).
    That was my point though. Predators who are trying to abduct someone don't usually just come up and say "hey, I'm going to take you" and stand in plain site so they CAN get shot. They search, stalk the victim, look at their surrounding and then strike when they think the victim WON'T BE READY. And that's almost in every case from behind and ends up being within arms reach.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You make sense. I can't disagree with you there. But I think you're focusing on a very specific scenario of being grabbed from behind while unaware.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    I live in a really bad area and have had some frightening encounters, to the extent that I simply stopped walking my dogs. One dog bit a guy who was trying to trick me into coming with him and wouldn't leave me alone no matter how much I shouted and threatened. A neighbor pulled a gun on my husband for walking past his house. .... Sigh. So I get that people want to defend themselves. It would be impossible for me to get a concealed carry permit in my state, you need a permit for open carry and they are equally hard to obtain, and anyway, open carry kind of defeats the purpose.

That said I'm perplexed by friends who live in states with different laws and won't leave home unarmed... I'm like "look at the crime rates where I live, and you have like no crime but you still carry?"

As for knives or self defense classes or whatever... As a rather short and not terribly strong female I'll just say that there's no way those things are going to level the playing field like a firearm would. In general, if you use a weapon it shouldn't come out unless you're using it, so pointing a knife at someone is useless. If someone is a foot taller than I am and 60-100 pounds heavier I'm not confidant I can totally incapacitate them with a single knife strike. I do have pepper spray, but again, not totally convinced about it. I guess you just hope to slow them down enough to get away. I did use pepper spray once and the blow back made the dog and me miserable for days afterward.

Of course, when a neighbor assaulted me here before the police were useless and I pressed charges on my own and the guy got off....So if I actually did hurt anyone, even if they were attacking me, they'd likely go free and I'd wind up in jail.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Rob_in_MI wrote: »
    Police respond after the crime has been committed and have no duty to protect any individual citizen even if a restraining order is in force (Gonzales v. Castle Rock and Warren v. District of Columbia firmly establish this). The person responsible for your safety is you.

When I was assaulted I called 911, they came two hours later and made fun of my appearance, mocked me for calling them, never filed a report, and when I asked for their badge numbers they gave me fake ones.

I then went to a magistrate and got a restraining order, when I called 911 to say I had a restraining order the guy was following me around they refused to do anything.

After the guy won in court, all the courthouse staff were telling me that they were so sorry and it was totally obvious to them that he was guilty, then the prosecutor said "(because of how you look) you'll never win in court here." So my husband asked "Excuse me? Are you saying that someone could murder my wife and because (of how she looks) nobody would be arrested or prosecuted?" The prosecutor said "Yes, that's what would happen."
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I live in a really bad area and have had some frightening encounters, to the extent that I simply stopped walking my dogs. One dog bit a guy who was trying to trick me into coming with him and wouldn't leave me alone no matter how much I shouted and threatened. A neighbor pulled a gun on my husband for walking past his house. .... Sigh. So I get that people want to defend themselves. It would be impossible for me to get a concealed carry permit in my state, you need a permit for open carry and they are equally hard to obtain, and anyway, open carry kind of defeats the purpose.

That said I'm perplexed by friends who live in states with different laws and won't leave home unarmed... I'm like "look at the crime rates where I live, and you have like no crime but you still carry?"

As for knives or self defense classes or whatever... As a rather short and not terribly strong female I'll just say that there's no way those things are going to level the playing field like a firearm would. In general, if you use a weapon it shouldn't come out unless you're using it, so pointing a knife at someone is useless. If someone is a foot taller than I am and 60-100 pounds heavier I'm not confidant I can totally incapacitate them with a single knife strike. I do have pepper spray, but again, not totally convinced about it. I guess you just hope to slow them down enough to get away. I did use pepper spray once and the blow back made the dog and me miserable for days afterward.

Of course, when a neighbor assaulted me here before the police were useless and I pressed charges on my own and the guy got off....So if I actually did hurt anyone, even if they were attacking me, they'd likely go free and I'd wind up in jail.

chicago/new york?