WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2017

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Is that like IQ? Emotional Intelligence? or something similar? My son apparently interviews well.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    PaulaY: Where do you live that has so many spitters? I agree that it is a disgusting habit. Do they chew tobacco? :huh:

Becca: Good luck to your DH. I hope they are able to get rid of all of the lesions without making his poor head too sore. Do you plan to travel via highway 30 or 26? We'll be on 30 this morning because I have an appointment with the eye doctor at 8 am. What a nasty time of day to be on the road. Who knows, perhaps we'll miss the early rush and the 9am rush. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us and for you. :flowerforyou:

It seems we're leaving early. I'll be back later today.

Katla
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Stephanie here from Fairfax, Virginia.

Goals for May:
    1. Cardio 30 minutes 4x / week
    2. Strength Training 4x / week
    3. Log Food and Exercise daily
    4. Squats and abs everyday
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    $#*T - Just lost my post. Oh well! Leaving to take Cracker to PetSmart; I am going to be late.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I just ran across an interesting article on healthy ways to use the freezer... I never thought of several of them, like freezing pre-soaked dry beans for cooking later. I freeze a lot of cooked beans for soups - but freezing them at that intermediate step has merit.

Also, freezing whole greens for stir-fries :) If I get serious about this I'll have to clean out my freezer, or at least rearrange it. Hope I can post the link:

https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Healthy-Ways-Use-Freezer-23132028?utm_source=blog.myfitnesspal.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_facebook&utm_term=pubexchange_facebook-popsugar_fitness-myfitnesspal

Becca and Katla, good luck with the Portland area traffic. I drove to Olympia yesterday and even dreaded that. Can't believe I did the Seattle commute from the east side for many years - of course a lot less traffic and I think there were fewer distractions then. I used to joke I could read a book, smoke a cigarette and drive stick in I-90 in rush hour traffic. Talk about multi-tasking, lol.

Stephanie - welcome and great goals!

Chris in MA - if I lived in town, that would be my dream back yard. How gorgeous and peaceful!

Got my walk in, now time to hit the potting shed and get some transplanting done - yarrow and red poppies - these are annuals, the "Poppy Day" type.

Lanette
    SW WA State

"A good life is a collection of happy moments."
    -- Denis Waitley

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    730609a5m8rb3ah6.gif
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy Two Different Colored Shoes Day!

Joyce - Your quilts are beautiful! The simple color scheme is so soothing. I love quilts too, and have several. They've all been boxed up since our series of moves, but I need to acquire some good quilt hangers and get them on the walls.

Sue - We're in the same boat with the landscaping. Our house is surrounded on four sides by various shrubs, and it looks like the previous owner didn't do any maintenance for the ten years he lived here! We need to spend every weekend working on a section, and by the time we're done we'll need to start over again on the first spot.

Lisa - The new job sounds like a fulfilling challenge. I really love working with non-profits. It feels like my work is contributing to something that makes the world better.

Kelly - Your observations about the "Can money buy happiness?" segment reminded me of an article I saw yesterday. It explained the physicial changes poverty causes to our brains due to the constant focus on staying afloat. Interesting stuff.

Lanette - Thank you for sharing the Hubble telescope photo. What a beautiful planet!

Cheri - Nice rewards! Congratulations!

Welcome to the newcomers!

Philip and I planned to do the game where you get rid of something away every day - one item on the 1st, two on the 2nd, and so on. But we're already behind. I'll count the riding mower as one, even though it went out the week before we officially started, but we missed yesterday so this evening we have to buckle down and let go of five items. I suspect that at the moment, finding the time to look at stuff is going to be harder than actually letting go... not sure why we picked the single busiest month of the year to do this!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Chris ~ Love that patio. It would be nice to sit out there in the morning with coffee or in the evening with a glass of wine.

Lanette ~ What grade did you teach? I taught 5th for most of my 30 yrs.

Sharon ~ Sorry about your back pain. What kind of business do you work in?

Cheri ~ Nice reward! Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Kelly ~ It looks as though you woke up to a better day with the kiddies! :)

Took the Pom to be groomed and can't wait to see him in his puppy cut for summer. His fur was so long it was filled with beggar lice and he was getting food in his chest hair. Will post a pic this afternoon.

Also, took a trunk load of clothes and shoes to the Good Will. Some were new but turned out to be the wrong size and never got worn. I'm bad! :'(

Carol in GA
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    PaulaY: Where do you live that has so many spitters? I agree that it is a disgusting habit. Do they chew tobacco? :huh:

Becca: Good luck to your DH. I hope they are able to get rid of all of the lesions without making his poor head too sore. Do you plan to travel via highway 30 or 26? We'll be on 30 this morning because I have an appointment with the eye doctor at 8 am. What a nasty time of day to be on the road. Who knows, perhaps we'll miss the early rush and the 9am rush. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for us and for you. :flowerforyou:

It seems we're leaving early. I'll be back later today.

Katla

Happy 30 Hwy travels to you my friend! Hope everything goes smoothly with the eye appointment. We took hwy 26, and though it was kinda foggy, it was light. It was a bit stop and go as we approached the tunnel, but not too bad. We have an appointment at the River front part of OHSU, and presently sipping a coffee latte' with an extra shot!
    Hugs
    Becca
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Chris ~ Love that patio. It would be nice to sit out there in the morning with coffee or in the evening with a glass of wine.

Lanette ~ What grade did you teach? I taught 5th for most of my 30 yrs.

Sharon ~ Sorry about your back pain. What kind of business do you work in?

Cheri ~ Nice reward! Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Kelly ~ It looks as though you woke up to a better day with the kiddies! :)

Took the Pom to be groomed and can't wait to see him in his puppy cut for summer. His fur was so long it was filled with beggar lice and he was getting food in his chest hair. Will post a pic this afternoon.

Also, took a trunk load of clothes and shoes to the Good Will. Some were new but turned out to be the wrong size and never got worn. I'm bad! :'(

Carol in GA

Carol, I wasn't a teacher B) I mostly worked in the Seattle seafood business, then managed a 911 Center, then retired from a Public Works Roads/Water Utility/Engineering Administrative Assistant position. I got to do a lot of varied and fun stuff.

I admire folks who get into a career field and love it and stick with it. I tend to get bored easily and have a low BS threshold so seemed like after 7 years I'd really get ready to do something else, lol.

My DH taught at private vocational schools and community colleges. He was glad to retire from public teaching - even tho it was college level, he couldn't be quite as authoritarian as he liked to be and also had to be more "PC". B) Students who wanted to learn in his class really appreciated him cracking the whip, lol.

What's beggar lice? Sophie had her haircut last Friday - hoping the cold winter killed off most of the fleas!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    Lololppp
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    0cysv7sil8k5.jpg
    e07y8t9jtjd2.jpg
    Just wanted to share what I rewarded myself with for my 20 pound weight loss! After much deliberation I chose the following: 2 new pairs of workout capris (Walmart), strength training gloves (Amazon) and a quilt ruler holder (Amazon) which I have been eyeing for many years! Oh how many times I have mislaid those rulers!

Cheri
    in sunny now but storms later College Station, TX

Cheri, I can't think of a better way to reward yourself! Superb!! <3<3

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I swear I am trying to be here more. Happy Hump Day to each of you! Meg from sunny Omaha for a change.
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Dana, is that an indoor/outdoor carpet you have on your deck? We've been looking for something to replace our old worn one - our deck gets so slippery. Lanette
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello friends,

Beautiful day here in Tennessee. So sorry for all the flooding in Arkansas. Did y'all see the pictures of the snow in Kansas City the other day. Oh, my, such crazy weather!

Had a quick discussion with hubby and found out our situation is worse than I thought. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. BUT while I wait for that I am eating healthy, staying under my calorie goals, decluttering, and working out. Keeping my head above water and so very thankful for this group!

Don't remember if I told y'all about my challenge with an antidepressant I have been on for 20 years. It really works for me! All of a sudden my insurance decides I can do with half of the dose I am taking. They have denied my claim. I am waiting for the doctor to appeal the decision or at least change my prescription to 1 a day or to another medication that insurance will cover. Right now I am on day 3 without anything and it will not be pretty if this goes on much longer. Wouldn't you know that this would all occur when I am facing such a relationship challenge! Thankfully my faith keeps me grounded. I believe God has got this!

Lanette - I love that picture of the Earth. It is magical!

Cheri - Great choices for a reward!

Leigh - Terrific NSV! Up, up, up you go (stairs, not your weight)!

Heather - Hope your hubby enjoys his outing and you enjoy some me time while he is gone.

Allie - prayers for you as you discuss your situation.

TNToni