May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I'm kind of jealous, but with 2 fills and a 50k this year, I think I have enough planned to keep me busy and content..... And if this year goes wrll, my tentative plan for next year is somewhat crazier.....

Still.... kind of jealous.....
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - The devil in me wonders if you could back into a discount by signing up for the half with discount, then later upgrading to the full. Probably not worth doing if it could cause issues with your employer, but runners think about things like that.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Kind of a comedy of errors kind of day. My internet is out so just a quick update by phone. Did 3.02 miles on the treadmill and an extra close to a mile panic run when I was walking the dog and got a reminder I was supposed to be somewhere in 15 minutes. Poor Stella got dragged home and I did a quick change and was just 15 minutes late in the end.

16 out of 75 miles for May
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @WhatMeRunning - The devil in me wonders if you could back into a discount by signing up for the half with discount, then later upgrading to the full. Probably not worth doing if it could cause issues with your employer, but runners think about things like that.
    Well, truth be told there is a practical aspect of readiness for a full. By late July (providing things progress according to plan) I could pull one off but it would probably also require enough downtime to really mess with my fall schedule. So practically I should keep on building up my distance through the summer to prep myself for those 3 marathons and the 50k I have targeted (not racing them). I couldn't help but look though, and my mindset in even checking out the full was basically; if you are going to run around San Francisco like that you might as well take in the whole loop.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    All this planning talk made me double check my insane thought for next year.... If I ever want to run again after this year..... and it could work.... this is bad..... very very bad.....

I blame @WhatMeRunning for this
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @katharmonic - Sounds like you and Stella got quite a tempo effort in today! :smiley:

Congrats @Emily_Carys on crushing week one! :sunglasses:

Congrats on the upcoming event @RespectTheKitty! You got it!

@MNLittleFinn - Yeah, you and I may be a dangerous mix. :naughty: Before you know it we're going to be signed up for all sorts of *kitten*.
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May goal - 50 miles

May 1 - Rest Day
    May 2 - 3.58 miles
    May 3 - 3.58 miles
    May 4 - 3.59 miles
    May 5 - Rest Day

May total - 10.75 miles

• MNLittleFinn
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Yeah, you and I may be a dangerous mix. :naughty: Before you know it we're going to be signed up for all sorts of *kitten*.
    The 2 races I'm considering targeting as goal races next year are both longer than 50k..... I think we we feed off each other
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The 2 races I'm considering targeting as goal races next year are both longer than 50k..... I think we we feed off each other
    Yeah, I'm hoping to come out of this fall healthy enough and with the remaining will to keep training and do a 50 miler in the spring (along the same route this falls 50k is run). I need to see how I feel though. If I stop running for a while that might be too much too soon. The next logical step after that is 100k...but I can't really get my head around that. I suspect I will need a break though. You can't just keep that base up like that all year long (so I hear). Although if I can, sign me up!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have one more question about my first 5k tomorrow. The race info says that if you use headphones then you can only use one speaker. That's not a problem for me, I often only use one speaker when running. I'm curious though. Is it better to run with or without music in the race?
    I find that music, unless VERY carefully planned and strictly beat-categorized, makes me go too fast. I've learned to prefer to use either podcasts or audiobooks.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Yeah, I'm hoping to come out of this fall healthy enough and with the remaining will to keep training and do a 50 miler in the spring (along the same route this falls 50k is run). I need to see how I feel though. If I stop running for a while that might be too much too soon. The next logical step after that is 100k...but I can't really get my head around that. I suspect I will need a break though. You can't just keep that base up like that all year long (so I hear). Although if I can, sign me up!

I'm eyeing an early September 50 mile and a mid/late October 100k. The 100k is the same course as my 50k this year, just doing out and back from the finish line...... I'll need to take a break at some point, but I'm thinking that the sub zero months will provide time for that..... of course this all depends on how the next 5 months go..... lol
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have one more question about my first 5k tomorrow. The race info says that if you use headphones then you can only use one speaker. That's not a problem for me, I often only use one speaker when running. I'm curious though. Is it better to run with or without music in the race? I always listen to music when I run so that is what I am used to. Plus I always track my run on fitbit and I get voice cues to let me know how far I have gone and what my pace is and I usually find that motivating. But should I just not use that for the race? The race will be chip timed. I'm trying to decide if I would run slower or faster with no music. Will I be distracted by not having it, or would having it be a distraction? Obviously I am getting nervous since my mind won't let go of these types of little problems. So I'm curious to know what others do. Especially if you usually run with music and you do not use it at a race. Is that a problem, or does the adrenaline from the race keep you from missing the music?

@kgirlhart I've run all my races that aren't trail races with music. I make different playlists for the various distances with certain songs coming on when I need an extra push. There are certain songs i find myself running faster to, so I strategically ensure those come on when I expect to cross the finish.

I always run with music except for trail running.

Have a great race this weekend!!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Just wanted to say good luck with tomorrow's race. I can't offer any advice on running with music vs without, as I've never listened to music during any of my runs; it's just a personal preference. I will just say that one rule for race day is to not introduce anything new...I know that means clothing/fuel strategy etc, but I guess you could also extend it to say that if you're used to running with music, then enjoy the race to music as well. :smile:
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your advise. I am younger run with music tomorrow since I have never run without it. Maybe over the next few weeks I will take a run without it and see how it goes. But I am not going to change it tomorrow since I don't have to. Now I am just going to go to bed and try to sleep.