Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    The challenge is the ultimate cost of medical care. This cost could be reduced substantially if people would practice health care (reasonable eating and movement 2 major factors). However people choose not to practice health care so they need medical care.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    This is how it works for life insurance. If you have a lot of tickets or accidents this is how it works for car insurance. However, what more health insurance programs should have is more incentives for weight loss just like they do for smoking. Many insurance companies offer discounts on gym memberships, or discounts if you are part of a medical weight loss program, etc. but so many do not.
  • anybeary
    anybeary Posts: 188 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I say that people who use health care should have to pay more for insurance. Put a 50% increase on your premium for each doctor visit. Another 50% increase for every prescription. 50% if you need lab tests or any scans. It's not fair healthy people pay for sick people.

EVERYBODY gets sick at some point in their life. I'm glad you're not in charge because this is a monstrous and stupid idea. Are you upset because you pay taxes and other people use the roadways that you don't personally use? Are you upset because you pay taxes and it helps pay for the education of children that aren't yours? Are you upset that you pay taxes and it goes to pay for libraries that you (obviously) don't use? Are you upset because your taxes pay for fire departments, but your house isn't burning down?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    This is how it works for life insurance. If you have a lot of tickets or accidents this is how it works for car insurance. However, what more health insurance programs should have is more incentives for weight loss just like they do for smoking. Many insurance companies offer discounts on gym memberships, or discounts if you are part of a medical weight loss program, etc. but so many do not.

You don't even have to have a lot of tickets or accidents to pay more for car insurance. If you're a 21 year old unmarried male with no children you will pay more than if you're a 34 year old married female with two children.

Why?

Because one of those groups is a bigger risk than the other. What the 21 year old thinks of it doesn't matter. It's not "unfair" to charge a higher risk group more for insurance than a lower risk one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    This was all done to promote the diet industry and to bolster support of the new food pyramid (which we all know is a crock of kittens).

Support for this being the reason for it?
  • lemurcat12
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I say that people who use health care should have to pay more for insurance. Put a 50% increase on your premium for each doctor visit. Another 50% increase for every prescription. 50% if you need lab tests or any scans. It's not fair healthy people pay for sick people.

EVERYBODY gets sick at some point in their life. I'm glad you're not in charge because this is a monstrous and stupid idea. Are you upset because you pay taxes and other people use the roadways that you don't personally use? Are you upset because you pay taxes and it helps pay for the education of children that aren't yours? Are you upset that you pay taxes and it goes to pay for libraries that you (obviously) don't use? Are you upset because your taxes pay for fire departments, but your house isn't burning down?

Have you read Swift's A Modest Proposal? If not, you probably should. It's worth reading.
  • lemurcat12

This is not how it currently works for health insurance, although I suppose we may be bringing back the real insurance model. It will affect way more people than the overweight. (Luckily for those with Medicare, they at least are out of it.)
  • StarvingDiva
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is not how it currently works for health insurance, although I suppose we may be bringing back the real insurance model. It will affect way more people than the overweight. (Luckily for those with Medicare, they at least are out of it.)

I know its not how it currently works for health insurance, but most of the other insurances work that way, so why shouldn't it for health insurance.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    My mom and I were discussing this today and I thought it would be a great topic for this forum, especially with all the politics surrounding health care these days.

So do you think people who are overweight and/or obese should have to pay more?

Do you think this would be a deterrent to gaining weight for people that are not in this category?

Should people with medications/medical conditions that cause weight gain be exempt?

I know that with obamacare/ACA there are wellness programs available, do you think these are all that helpful if you've been to one?

Mine does. Or rather, you get a discount if you 1) don't smoke, 2) are at a "healthy weight", and 3) walk a minimum number of steps per month. So in real monetary terms, yeah, you will pay more for your health insurance if you don't take a minimal amount of care of yourself...
  • lemurcat12

I know its not how it currently works for health insurance, but most of the other insurances work that way, so why shouldn't it for health insurance.

Because if we had a free insurance market like that people would be unable to buy insurance if they had a preexisting condition or, if they could, it would be far more expensive. This includes such things as psychological care, cancer, Type 1 Diabetes, an autoimmune disease, many others. It also could get unaffordable just because you are in your 50s, have a child with special needs, etc.

Beyond that, I'd say there's a sense for many of us that much about health is luck or something we all may experience, so it makes sense to share the costs and not have it work just like other insurance markets. Beyond that, it makes 0 sense to have insurance (in the real sense) to pay for fixed costs like yearly check-ups, so those should be excluded.

Also, I've had times when we decided not to make a claim on insurance for fear the costs would go up (basically, homeowner's insurance, but also car insurance when someone broke my back windshield). The analogous example with health insurance is that people would try to avoid treatment that would make their insurance too expensive, and insurance companies could deny claims for people not adequately disclosing things (even when it was inadvertent).

I don't think people really want this to be how it works, but at this point, whatever, do what you want.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    No.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    I think that like smokers, the obese should pay more for insurance for being overweight. If I'm a bad driver my car insurance goes up. If I don't pay bills on time my credit score goes down. There are negative consequences to poor choices; that's life.

If an obese person can prove that their weight problem has medical validity then I believe to charge more would be discriminatory but if you're CHOOSING to do something you know is unhealthy then yeah, pay for it please.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    I think that like smokers, the obese should pay more for insurance for being overweight. If I'm a bad driver my car insurance goes up. If I don't pay bills on time my credit score goes down. There are negative consequences to poor choices; that's life.

If an obese person can prove that their weight problem has medical validity then I believe to charge more would be discriminatory but if you're CHOOSING to do something you know is unhealthy then yeah, pay for it please.

But we are talking about paying for more because you may have health issues. We paid more for my stepson's auto insurance even though he had no accidents just because he was a teen male driver.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    The fact is that insurance, by it's nature, had to use current current circumstances to predict future outcomes in order to determine the costs to provide for insurance. There will always be outliers. I don't drive that much so my auto insurance is cheaper, even though the possibility exists that I'm a bad driver. If I get in an accident, my rates will go up. However, auto insurance also has good driver discounts. If you're an overweight person who is the outlier that doesn't have medical issues, maybe there is a discount that offsets the overweight penalty to a degree.

Frankly, the biggest issue in my mind is the idea that most people get their insurance thru a group plan via their job. This provides a disincentive to come up with these variable options. I'd rather insurance was always bought individually. Then it stays with you from job to job and likely there would be more flexibility.
  • StarvingDiva

Because if we had a free insurance market like that people would be unable to buy insurance if they had a preexisting condition or, if they could, it would be far more expensive. This includes such things as psychological care, cancer, Type 1 Diabetes, an autoimmune disease, many others. It also could get unaffordable just because you are in your 50s, have a child with special needs, etc.

Beyond that, I'd say there's a sense for many of us that much about health is luck or something we all may experience, so it makes sense to share the costs and not have it work just like other insurance markets. Beyond that, it makes 0 sense to have insurance (in the real sense) to pay for fixed costs like yearly check-ups, so those should be excluded.

Also, I've had times when we decided not to make a claim on insurance for fear the costs would go up (basically, homeowner's insurance, but also car insurance when someone broke my back windshield). The analogous example with health insurance is that people would try to avoid treatment that would make their insurance too expensive, and insurance companies could deny claims for people not adequately disclosing things (even when it was inadvertent).

I don't think people really want this to be how it works, but at this point, whatever, do what you want.

Do what I want. No need to get mad, its a simple discussion. I actually thought my insurance was perfectly fine until the government decided to put their hand in the mix and F it all up. Now my deductible is huge and I was without insurance for awhile and couldn't afford the exchange for ACA so just figured, if I have to pay the penalty tax (which again is ridiculous to charge someone who couldn't afford to buy the insurance in the first place). I don't know why anyone would want government in charge of their health insurance, I just look at the VA and know I don't want that. When they got involved with it and started doing the whole HMO crap they screwed it up then, giving incentives to doctors for keeping costs down (which seems like a conflict of interest to me) and then they fd it up again with ACA. You shouldn't be required to buy insurance if you don't want it, or at the very least be allowed to just buy catastrophic insurance, not everyone goes to the doctors for every little sniffle. Some people do, god knows but not everyone does.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Yes they should. Of course, I also think that a tax similar to that applied to tobacco and alcohol should be applied to junk food and soda.