Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think obese/overweight people should pay more for health insurance?

Replies

• ras2g2
    ras2g2 Posts: 2 Member
    Without the ability to underwrite individuals based on their risk (height, weight, age, overall health etc..) insurance companies will enter an Adverse Selection scenario. This is exactly why the ACA has failed. And this is the real debate; how much as a society are we willing to subsidize (ie tax dollars) the insurance companies so they will continue to write even when adverse selection exists. Group health plans are entirely different. The group's losses are evaluated and then the company decides how much of the premium they are going to pass on to the individual. Wellness plans are good for the company because it encourages people to be healthier and in turn, the company's premiums go down.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Frankly, the biggest issue in my mind is the idea that most people get their insurance thru a group plan via their job. This provides a disincentive to come up with these variable options. I'd rather insurance was always bought individually. Then it stays with you from job to job and likely there would be more flexibility.

This is true. Tying insurance to job is problematic in a number of ways.

... and the fact that quality health insurance for most in America has been invariably tied to people's employment is a side-effect of the disastrous government policy of making the cost of group health employment benefits tax-deductible for employers.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2017
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Frankly, the biggest issue in my mind is the idea that most people get their insurance thru a group plan via their job. This provides a disincentive to come up with these variable options. I'd rather insurance was always bought individually. Then it stays with you from job to job and likely there would be more flexibility.

This is true. Tying insurance to job is problematic in a number of ways.

... and the fact that quality health insurance for most in America has been invariably tied to people's employment is a side-effect of the disastrous government policy of making the cost of group health employment benefits tax-deductible for employers.

No, the cost of group health benefits for employees is treated no differently than the wages and salaries from a corporate tax perspective.

The big thing from a tax perspective is the employee gets the company paid portion of the heath insurance premium and does not have to pay income taxes on it. Change to some government funded plan paid for by taxes, those employees lose that benefit. If the employer gives additional cash compensation, that compensation is taxed at the employee's marginal tax rate.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Yes, they should pay more, as well as smokers. People are in charge of their lives and health options, and should pay that price for making those choices.
    It's much harder to quit smocking then to change lifestyle and lose weight. If they choose to eat unhealthy and have unhealthy lifestyle, knowing well enough it's bad for their health and causes sicknesses, then they should pay extra.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    There was a time we didn't have an NHS. But then we didn't have insurance either. It was just tough luck if you couldn't afford medical care. Which is kind of the same really if adequate insurance is unaffordable to you and you just end up in mountains of medical related debt.

But it takes the will of a strong leader who is happy to be very unpopular and I'm not sure the American political system is set up to allow a president to just do it?

Couple issues -- one is timing. The way the system has developed a lot of people (not just insurance companies) have a stake in it. They have good insurance and fear that a change will leave them with worse insurance. They don't understand (or believe, I guess) that the current system where many have excellent employer-based insurance and then graduate into Medicare (which is also currently excellent) is not sustainable.

The other is that no matter how much a president was willing to stake his or her popularity on single payer or some such (say we had President Bernie), that would be meaningless, as it would not be passed by Congress, period. Not yet. That's what all the lefties complaining that Obama just didn't try don't seem to understand.
    And then there's the individual States situation too, not sure how that would work.

Theoretically, that wouldn't be a problem, it would be like Medicare for all. The state's role traditionally has to do with Medicaid plus regulating the insurance companies.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I would rather be given a break on my insurance premiums or some money back for being healthy and active at a fitness center x times per week vs. making someone to pay more for being obese. There are too many variables.

They can't let you pay less without someone else without healthy stats paying more. Not if they actually want to stay in business. That's how it works. Money doesn't just grow on trees.
    Lol, obviously don't know how insurance works then. More people pay in then they pay out. And trust me, insurance companies only do one main thing with the money......................they "grow" it by investing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    There was a time we didn't have an NHS. But then we didn't have insurance either. It was just tough luck if you couldn't afford medical care. Which is kind of the same really if adequate insurance is unaffordable to you and you just end up in mountains of medical related debt.

But it takes the will of a strong leader who is happy to be very unpopular and I'm not sure the American political system is set up to allow a president to just do it?

Couple issues -- one is timing. The way the system has developed a lot of people (not just insurance companies) have a stake in it. They have good insurance and fear that a change will leave them with worse insurance. They don't understand (or believe, I guess) that the current system where many have excellent employer-based insurance and then graduate into Medicare (which is also currently excellent) is not sustainable.

The other is that no matter how much a president was willing to stake his or her popularity on single payer or some such (say we had President Bernie), that would be meaningless, as it would not be passed by Congress, period. Not yet. That's what all the lefties complaining that Obama just didn't try don't seem to understand.
    And then there's the individual States situation too, not sure how that would work.

Theoretically, that wouldn't be a problem, it would be like Medicare for all. The state's role traditionally has to do with Medicaid plus regulating the insurance companies.

Thank you. I thought it would be a Congress problem I just didn't want to assert something I'm not fully versed in. We have a sort of version of this and I won't pretend to know how it got passed but it is certainly easier for our governments to pass things as a single party majority is naturally going to have a more favourable chance of getting more votes new legislation.
  • Packerjohn
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I would rather be given a break on my insurance premiums or some money back for being healthy and active at a fitness center x times per week vs. making someone to pay more for being obese. There are too many variables.

They can't let you pay less without someone else without healthy stats paying more. Not if they actually want to stay in business. That's how it works. Money doesn't just grow on trees.
    Lol, obviously don't know how insurance works then. More people pay in then they pay out. And trust me, insurance companies only do one main thing with the money......................they "grow" it by investing it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, the actual underwriting and insuring is just a way to collect money to invest. I live in a community where a large insurance company is the largest employer. The small group that runs their investments can often make $ close to what the CEO does with their bonuses if there is a good investing year.

If I was going to have an insurance company I would just do life insurance. Pretty simple. People pay their premiums, when an insured dies you get a government document stating so and write a check. So much easier than messing with medical claims, people trying to sue your auto policy owners for mysterious "whiplash" injuries, etc.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep, the actual underwriting and insuring is just a way to collect money to invest. I live in a community where a large insurance company is the largest employer. The small group that runs their investments can often make $ close to what the CEO does with their bonuses if there is a good investing year.

If I was going to have an insurance company I would just do life insurance. Pretty simple. People pay their premiums, when an insured dies you get a government document stating so and write a check. So much easier than messing with medical claims, people trying to sue your auto policy owners for mysterious "whiplash" injuries, etc.

Doesn't it make sense for the insurance company to invest the premium money so that they will potentially have more for claims payouts?
  • Packerjohn

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Doesn't it make sense for the insurance company to invest the premium money so that they will potentially have more for claims payouts?

Without a doubt. My point is if you look at the income of an insurance company over the long term (to adjust for any widespread disasters like a major hurricane for a property insurer) the actual underwriting tends to be a breakeven. The are making money on their investments, not actually providing insurance. And yes, the investment income can help to offset the actual cost of insurance.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited May 2017

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol, obviously YOU don't understand how business and economics work. Insurance companies pull of of markets that aren't profitable...that's why Obamacare is failing. Some states have only one option available. Being forced to cover very high risk people at artificially low premiums has resulted in unbalanced risk pools. That is a failing business model...for any insurance provider.

If the healthy, low risk people are all given discounts without making the obese, high risk people pay more...then two things happen: 1) the insurance company has less money available to pay out claims when those obese people have heart attacks and develop other expensive health problems (regardless of their investment performance), and 2) profits fall. Since this is a capitalist society (after all, you admit that profit is a motive for you and you don't train people for free), insurance companies (and the regular people who buy the stock hoping to make some money to retire on) actually want to make a profit. You don't train people you don't make money on, so you should understand why somebody else would also think making money is a desirable thing.
  • Packerjohn
    One question that should be answered, is an insurance based solution a good methodology for ALL medical costs? If you think about it, home owners insurance, auto insurance, flood insurance, are all based on dealing with unexpected catastrophic events. Maybe another model is needed for more predictable events, such as the savings model like HSAs.

Sure that is were the high deductable plans and HSA's come in. The challenge is the average American family has less than $1,000 in a savings account:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/25/how-much-does-the-average-american-have-in-their-s.aspx

Have to get people's mindset to save instead Starbucks everyday, the newest iPhone, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    One question that should be answered, is an insurance based solution a good methodology for ALL medical costs? If you think about it, home owners insurance, auto insurance, flood insurance, are all based on dealing with unexpected catastrophic events. Maybe another model is needed for more predictable events, such as the savings model like HSAs.

Sure that is were the high deductable plans and HSA's come in. The challenge is the average American family has less than $1,000 in a savings account:
    https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/25/how-much-does-the-average-american-have-in-their-s.aspx

Have to get people's mindset to save instead Starbucks everyday, the newest iPhone, etc.

I could skip Starbucks every day for a year (in fact, I guess I did because I never go) and it wouldn't have covered the co-pay we had when my husband accidentally cut his hand last year. We're relatively fortunate with our high deductable plan because we don't use a lot of health care, but it doesn't take much to wipe an account completely out.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited May 2017
    Never mind.