May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks @lporte229 and @WhatMeRunning I don't really see a problem with running at the cemetery. I just never really thought about it and wondered if others would think it inappropriate. I think it will actually be a nice place to run.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    @katiejane83 That is really creepy. But I am glad everything is ready for the Tinkerbell half. Can't wait to see the pictures.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @KatieJane83 I am so excited for you and the Tinkerball half. Although I can't imagine running 13.1 miles in a tutu. :smile:

Speaking of HMs, I need to determine when would be the best time to start training. I'm looking at end of November for my first HM, which means I should start training no later than beginning of September, although I think I want to start extending my long runs to greater than 10 miles earlier than that. I'll have to see how the heat of summer affects me... last year I had some trouble running in the heat. BUT, I now have a spiffy new hydration belt so maybe I'll be okay this year.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Oh! And I meant to also add, congrats to everyone who raced this past weekend! I can't even keep track of who did what, but I read some amazingly awesome race reports! Kudos to all of you!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Lovely race report! Sounds like it was a great time!! Congratulations! Too cute!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Thanks @lporte229 and @WhatMeRunning I don't really see a problem with running at the cemetery. I just never really thought about it and wondered if others would think it inappropriate. I think it will actually be a nice place to run.

@kgirlhart - I've been on group runs where the leader has taken us through small cemeteries, and no one seems to think that odd. But then, I'm local to the Flower City Half Marathon, which has about 2 miles of the route in Mt. Hope Cemetery. The cemetery has the toughest hills of the route, and in case you aren't looking the race literature tells you that you go right past Susan B. Anthony's grave.

The part in the cemetery is a bit confusing, so the USATF Certification Map for Flower City breaks out the cemetery detail. It's traditional for preview runs that at least one group takes a wrong turn and wanders around parts of the cemetery that aren't on the course; but on race day there are road marshalls so that isn't a problem.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat "I am never running again." LOL... oh, you will. You know you will.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat any race report that starts "sorry for my bra" is one I need to read ha ha! Great report, loved the photos, you skipping is the all time best! super race!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.16 easy
    5/2 – 6.67 easy
    5/3 – rest day
    5/4 – 8.08 easy
    5/5 – rest day
    5/6 – 11.23 loosely paced run
    5/7 – 11.08 easy with fast finish
    5/8 – 5.23 easy

May total to date – 47.45

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Build base. 5/28, start training plan toward MVP Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – Nice weather today, 50s F and overcast. I'm not in a formal training plan right now, and I thought I'd do something typical for a Monday from the marathon training plan, easy plus 4 strides. I envisioned running about 6.5 miles.

Got out, and I wasn't feeling it. The post-Boston sore spot on my left quad started muttering. A quarter mile into the run, I changed the plan. Cut the distance, run a flatter route than I had originally envisioned, and forget the strides. Mostly didn't look at the watch, just tried to keep it feeling easy and not pounding the legs very hard. Made up the route as I went along, kept it easy for 4 miles, and noticed that mile 5 had crept up to MP. By that time I was feeling something other than my legs, and the tag end between 5 miles and my driveway came in faster than MP but slower than half marathon pace. Jack Daniels doesn't give a name to that particular pace; I call it the "rest room jog."

Perhaps I'm not as fully recovered from Boston as I thought yesterday. Oh, well. There will be days like this. There will be better days, too. But even an easy 5 miles feeling like I have to be gentle beats the heck out of sitting on the couch.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Rochester, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Wk: 5.8.17 - 5.14.17

M - 3 m. EZ Recovery.
    T -
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    ## miles for week.

Next Event - Cleveland Marathon Pacer 4:55 group.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Great race recap @girlinahat! Love your spirit! That looked and sounded like a really fun event.

I read the whole recap @_nikkiwolf_! You are looking strong for those last kilometer of photos, particularly at the finish! I can't believe you are able to move at all after putting in such a fast effort like that!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ great race report. You look determined in the first picture and confident and happy in the next. Great race!
  • Kristron
    Kristron Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Last week
    5/3 4.3 mile jog
    5/5 2.7 mile jog
    Weekend - lots of walking around SF (yay, birthday trip!)
    Total mileage: 13 miles. Didn't get in 3 runs like I wanted, but did a ton of walking all weekend, so I'm ok with that.

Goal for May: 40 miles. Weeks until 10K: 2
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I too read the whole thing, I just love race reports. Super job continuing on and super PR. Love both pictures. I always look like *kitten*.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 Congrats on your half! Sorry you didn't get your goal time, but sounds like a challenge with all the people and good job beating your last year's time.
    @KeepRunningFatboy great job on the Flying Pig (love that name)
    @Orphia - wow! Amazing and impressive!
    @lporter229 congrats to Eric and Stella on their race! Stella looks awesome and very proud!
    @girlinahat great and fun race report! That Lovestation sounds pretty awesome! A shot of cherry vodka would get me going for a while I think! Love your skipping finish. Congrats!
    @_nikkiwolf_ great race recap too! Excellent job and your finish picture looks great! Amazing job. And wow, the extra loop after would have been a killer. Happy to hear so many people did that to raise money!

I am sorry if I missed any racers. I know I got to some over the weekend too but congrats to everyone who raced! Love hearing about all of it.

So, starting the countdown to my HM in just 13 days...

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 2.7
    05/02/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 5.9
    05/03/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.9
    05/04/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 12.9
    05/05/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 16.0
    05/06/17 :::: 10.0 :::: 26.0
    05/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.0
    05/08/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 29.9 out of 75

Tonight was group workout. We did 5-7-3 minute intervals with 3 minutes in between then 4 sprints. With warm-up and cool-down came to 3.97 miles. Tough but good workout. Ready to start tapering down with easy base runs for the rest of the week.

Upcoming races:
    5/21 Angry Unicorn Half Marathon,Wakefield RI
    6/6 JP Morgan Corporate Challenge 3.5 mile, Syracuse NY
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

• wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 - I just did the Carmel Marathon. I know it is boring in some ways compared to the Mini, but it does have some advanatages. Sounds like you have run the Mini several times, but I always hear from those who do that it is just miserable on the track and that it is so crowded you never get to where you aren't worried about tripping on someone. Regardless, great job!!! Those are tough conditions and you did really well!

@girlinahat - Yeah right, "no more running" - ha! - and after they gave you brownies and cherry vodka mid race. Great race story ;)