30 Day Low Carb (Keto) Weight loss Challenge - Start Monday May 8

Options

Replies

• kpdover
    kpdover Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Day 3 - 27 Total carbs, 21 net carbs, 16 glasses of water and under my calorie goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    How do people get such low numbers? I was thinking of joining, but just vegetables and nuts (and yeah, a little dairy, but plain full fat yogurt and cottage cheese) seems to kick me into the 50s every day. I don't see below 50 total as realistic for me, although I am consistently in the 30s net.

Are you eating way low cal? I'm at 1500.

(I'm hoping this will be enough for ketosis since I run, but may have to break down and test somehow since I'm curious about what keto feels like.)
  • stephyyyo
    stephyyyo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How do people get such low numbers? I was thinking of joining, but just vegetables and nuts (and yeah, a little dairy, but plain full fat yogurt and cottage cheese) seems to kick me into the 50s every day. I don't see below 50 total as realistic for me, although I am consistently in the 30s net.

(I'm hoping this will be enough for ketosis since I run, but may have to break down and test somehow since I'm curious about what keto feels like.)

Protein like chicken and fish and eggs have very low carbs. Non starchy veggies like spinach and kale are great. I eat all veggies except potato, sweet potato, and I count my carrots. I eat berries for fruit only. And cheese is usually low Carb.

Nuts and starchy veggies should be minimal quantities if you want to be low Carb or reach ketosis. 50g is actually pretty decent, my husband does 20g or less and THAT is harder, but still doable.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The food diaries are public - take a gander at some of them and see how they do it.
  • lemurcat12
    edited May 2017
    Options
    stephyyyo wrote: »

Protein like chicken and fish and eggs have very low carbs. Non starchy veggies like spinach and kale are great. I eat all veggies except potato, sweet potato, and I count my carrots. I eat berries for fruit only. And cheese is usually low Carb.

Nuts and starchy veggies should be minimal quantities if you want to be low Carb or reach ketosis. 50g is actually pretty decent, my husband does 20g or less and THAT is harder, but still doable.

Here's yesterday as an example (my diary is open too):

12 carbs at breakfast from non starchy veg (9) + full fat cottage cheese (not a lot) (3)

22 carbs at lunch from carrots (11) + non starchy veg (9 -- one of these was kale) + walnuts (2)

17-ish carbs at dinner (without the soup, since I was estimating by using a higher option than I think I had, I was not at Panera) from green beans (10) and almonds (3) plus some additional ones from the broccoli (we'll say 4) and maybe cream

I really don't need more protein -- protein is already on the high side if I'm aiming for ketosis. I eat lots of eggs and meat.

I had more carrots than usual, but I am getting big totals in general from non starchy veg (onions and leeks have surprisingly a lot).

I had no fruit.

I do eat cheese (which usually does have around 0), but I think nuts are actually a healthier source of fat than cheese so I like to have them too (and plus they taste good). I don't think I'm eating a huge amount of them (maybe a bit more than usual yesterday).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ck2d wrote: »
    The food diaries are public - take a gander at some of them and see how they do it.

Actually most of them are not, you have to make them public.
  • looweesa
    looweesa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Day 3 (for me)

Net carbs: 12

And officially in ketosis today as per my ketostix!! :smiley:
  • UNO77
    UNO77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    35 carbs today 5/11/17
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    looweesa wrote: »
    Day 3 (for me)

Net carbs: 12

And officially in ketosis today as per my ketostix!! :smiley:

Wow congrats!!!!
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Day 4: Went over slightly on total 52g, net 47g.
    Pretty good for going out to dinner with friends to Buffalo Wild Wings!!
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Day 5

Total: 22
    Net: 17

Feeling good today and back in ketosis (after yesterday's 70+ carb day) according to ketostix (and how I feel).

Moving into the weekend, I know it's going to be really hard keeping carbs down. I have a friend visiting from out of town so I know there will be drinking etc. I'm going to try and stick to liquor w/zero cal/carb mixers.
  • ck2d
    ck2d Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    20 carbs 5/11/17
  • Fabulous50
    Fabulous50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    May 11
    Carbs = 42
    Fiber = 12
  • Fabulous50
    Fabulous50 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Day 5

Feeling good today and back in ketosis (after yesterday's 70+ carb day) according to ketostix (and how I feel).

Moving into the weekend, I know it's going to be really hard keeping carbs down. I have a friend visiting from out of town so I know there will be drinking etc. I'm going to try and stick to liquor w/zero cal/carb mixers.
    Day 5

I found a great Margarita mix .... Freshies low carb margaritas... 5 cal/ 2carbs per 4oz. The trick is keeping it at only one! LOL!
  • Memerex5
    Memerex5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Day 4!!!!
    I'm starting to figure this out, not really. But today I did pretty well. Only 53g net! I didn't eat all my calories (1500 allowed, 952 consumed) nor did I have enough protein (245 allowed, 42g consumed) however, I drank 64oz of water!
  • millymc
    millymc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    5/10/17. Carbs 46
    5/11/17 Carbs 106
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    millymc wrote: »
    5/10/17. Carbs 46
    5/11/17 Carbs 106

Oh no :( what happened today?
    Memerex5 wrote: »
    Day 4!!!!
    I'm starting to figure this out, not really. But today I did pretty well. Only 53g net! I didn't eat all my calories (1500 allowed, 952 consumed) nor did I have enough protein (245 allowed, 42g consumed) however, I drank 64oz of water!

Yay!! You're doing it!
  • maxapeden
    maxapeden Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5/11/17
    Day 2
    20 net carbs
    Cal deff
    Cardio/weight sesh
  • Aikar
    Aikar Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Meat and green veggies. Yogurt is special and not ALL of the carbs count. See: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

If you want some ideas on strict <= 20G, feel free to check out my diary. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/aikar

I'm not going to join this challenge since I wouldnt post carbs each day (why ask people to do that when the diary has the record?) Status updates every so often 'im on track!' would be nicer.

I started 1 month ago from today, and hit 20lb lost :)

My goal is to lose another 20 in this next month.

I'm operating on a 45% caloric deficit, and going to the gym / walking a lot more. It's melting off.

For anyone new to keto and wanting to learn more, here is a good science article: https://ketogains.com/2015/08/will-this-kick-me-out-of-ketosis/

Key note being: Fruit is the worst you can eat on Keto, outside of low sugar berries. Fructose does way more to kick you out of ketosis than say a potato.

If you are feeling bad and not doing <= 25G carbs, then your likely bouncing around the line of keto and your body's confused on which to use, is why your sick. So id recommend either do keto level low carb, or low carb but higher numbers of carbs (50-100) to avoid the flu.
  • stephyyyo
    Options
    Aikar wrote: »

Meat and green veggies. Yogurt is special and not ALL of the carbs count. See: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html

If you want some ideas on strict <= 20G, feel free to check out my diary. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/aikar

I'm not going to join this challenge since I wouldnt post carbs each day (why ask people to do that when the diary has the record?) Status updates every so often 'im on track!' would be nicer.

Thanks for the info, some of it it's actually helpful.

However on the reason why to even join this...ummmm...for the community and for the accountability? Who has time to actually go on each and every diary anyway? Instead we can have the accountability as a group and post how many grams of carbs we ate and help each other.

If someone doesn't want to join then don't, no reason to say anything against it.