Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• thesqueedler
    thesqueedler Posts: 2 Member
    Mine's also kind of boring. I used to be nearly 200 lbs. I lost about 40 lbs. I'm not sure if there was a single "aha!" moment, but having to squeeze into an airline seat, and needing to shop at Lane Bryant finally sunk in. I've been see-sawing between 157-165 for about 15 years, and when I met my husband I got up to 168, which made me worry (he's Italian - all that pasta!!!). The other thing is I have foot problems, and if I'm lighter then the foot problems will not be so bad. I'm 49 so I don't want to cause myself more joint and foot problems as I age, so that it makes getting enough exercise difficult.
  • fmaracle_89
    fmaracle_89 Posts: 3 Member
    My story is I got diagnosed with P.C.O.S last year and it scared me. My boyfriend and I want to start a family in two in half years. I was devastated! The more research I did I found with excersise and eating healthier P.C.O.S can be reversed.
  • midnightsky1
    midnightsky1 Posts: 24 Member
    I dont feel confident in my own skin being overweight and getting ready for a night out and not feeling Confident was a wake up call to do something about it. Not sure if it's the right reason but it's the reason lol. And I want to feel like a look good for myself
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there. The healthy habits you are setting now will hopefully give you many many active years with your beautiful children #HealthyHabits
  • beanz744
    beanz744 Posts: 221 Member
    cant wear anything in my closet n didnt want to throw them away :p:p
  • MOJayhawker
    MOJayhawker Posts: 8 Member
    I was recently diagnosed as insulin resistant, with high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure, topping the scale at 275. I've managed to get the BP and cholesterol under control with the help of meds but losing even a few pounds has been impossible unless I starve. So I decided to follow my doctor's low carb diet while limiting my caloric intake as well. It's hard to follow since I can't have sugar, artificial sweeteners, breads, or potatoes. I'm just finishing my 7th day in a row coming under budget and with 7500+ steps/day, I'm hoping this will be the solution.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    To feel better by lowering blood sugar numbers is what got me exercising and eating right. Weight loss came as a nice bonus of a more balanced life style. Now its a healthy obsession :smile:
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    I was recently diagnosed as insulin resistant, with high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure, topping the scale at 275. I've managed to get the BP and cholesterol under control with the help of meds but losing even a few pounds has been impossible unless I starve. So I decided to follow my doctor's low carb diet while limiting my caloric intake as well. It's hard to follow since I can't have sugar, artificial sweeteners, breads, or potatoes. I'm just finishing my 7th day in a row coming under budget and with 7500+ steps/day, I'm hoping this will be the solution.

Exercise and a healthy diet may help significantly for all the items above. You will see folks say a calorie deficit over and over on here for weight loss but it is true. Find an exercise you like and a food plan that works for you and stick to it but don't feel imprisoned by it. I eat when I am hungry and some days I only need 1300 calories and others I need 2500. Just depends. Are you allergic to artificial sweeteners because they should be ok.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    edited May 2017
    Actually, I was very ill with an autoimmune disorder that caused massive weight gain, only I had no idea that I was so gravely ill. I could not understand why the pounds were rolling on, other than I was an EXHAUSTED mother, and wife, and coming up on middle age. I figured that was it in a nutshell, and if I just lost weight everything would get better. Well, I managed to lose 67 pounds in 5 or so years, but continued to get sicker, and sicker. Finally it all came to a head where I ended up in ICU, and nearly died a little over a year ago. I am still gravely ill, but I've not once stopped counting calories this past year despite being unable to budge a single pound. I'm not giving up, I will keep trying despite the doctors saying A) I won't be able to lose weight, and B ) I will not recover from my illness.
  • askmeagain311
    askmeagain311 Posts: 139 Member
    I have PCOS, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, depression, and on and on and on.
    I am not healthy. At all.
    I want to live long enough to see my kid grow up ~ and I want to live long enough to have grandchildren.
    I realize now that I have hidden behind my weight for so long. The weight has always been there.... and always been an excuse. But I have come to realize that I lost out on a lot because of it. I love my child that God gave us through adoption, but boy, oh boy, do I wish I could have experienced a pregnancy that lasted longer than six weeks. :(
    I am already older than most of my son's classmates' parents, but to be obese as well is too much to handle. I know that my son is embarrassed by me, even though he doesn't want me to lose weight because he loves my large breasts (he loves his pillows ~ lol). Luckily, my breasts are not usually the first to go when I have lost weight in the past. :wink:
    Anywho... that's my story. I have tried many times to lose weight and become healthier. I get excited and then I burn out. I'm always hoping that this is the time that will stick. I sure do hate counting calories, but I think that is probably the only way to go.
  • kmj254
    kmj254 Posts: 7 Member
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    My 'fat pants' we're no longer fitting. Seriously, I owned one pair of jeans that still fit, and I was starting to surpass them. I was tired of having to come home and put on sweat pants and pajamas.

I want to apply for term life insurance, but my weight puts me into a high $$$ category even though I am only 35, and otherwise 'healthy'

I am 5'3" and tired of weighing more than my 6 foot tall husband. Like, 50 lbs more.

That is kind of what inspired me too. I'm 5'4" and weigh about the same my 6'1" husband, and he's a big burly guy. It looks good on him, not so much on me!
  • Gorda2Guapa
    Gorda2Guapa Posts: 7 Member
    Several reasons but lately I'm tired of feeling exhausted all of the time! Closet film of clothes and nothing fits. Out of breath easily and too sedentary outside of work. I want to find love and I know I won't until I get more confidence in myself.
  • katedury
    katedury Posts: 8 Member
    I'm getting married in 2019. Also I saw some pics of me on uk holiday and I felt embarrassed x
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Mostly just want to be able to go harder in my hobbies and get less winded. Plus not being embarrassed to take me shirt off would be nice for a change.
  • misch_ka
    misch_ka Posts: 31 Member
    One word: Flab. Well, another word: cellulite.

I went to H&M and tried on some clothes, only, to my utter horror, and thanks to the horrid lighting in the dressing room, I realised i could see cellulite *not only* on my bum and thighs .... that was a big wake up call.

I'm not overweight and losing weight is actually not my focus, but I'm pretty sure that losing some kilos is part of the whole formula. I just want to lose fat and tone up my entire body. I have 10 kilos extra after having my kids and while I'm totally fine with 5 of those, the other five ... well, let's just say I wouldn't miss :smiley:
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    When my shirts and pants got too tight.
  • ATruckersWife15
    ATruckersWife15 Posts: 4 Member
    I've decided to make a change because I despise what I see in the mirror. I will NEVER be skinny, nor do I want to be. My husband thinks I am perfect the way I am, but I dont. If I can rock a size 12...I'm good with that. I just can't be the size I am anymore. It disgusts me to look at me, and I am the only one who can change that.