May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - Great job on your HM! You finished it, and a finish is a great finish no matter what the time; ultimately, you nailed it where it truly counts.

@MsHarryWinston - Welcome to the group!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Thanks @honunui and @greenolivetree -- not sure why he gave me that. I noticed the clinic is open tomorrow so I could maybe call and say give me something else.
    I will be extremely careful! Thanks again.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hey all! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I haven't been keeping up with the thread. There's no way at this point I'll probably be able to go back and read all 30 pages, so I'll just say that I hope everyone's training and races have been going well and everyone has remained injury free!

5/1: rest
    5/2: 5 miles
    5/3: 6.3 miles
    5/4: 4.1 miles
    5/5: rest
    5/6: 10 miles
    5/7: 4 miles
    5/8: rest
    5/9: 3 miles, 4 miles (daily double)
    5/10: 7 miles
    5/11: rest
    5/12: 4 miles
    5/13: 9 miles

TOTAL: 56.4/120 miles

Today's long run was supposed to be 12 miles but I had to stop short at 9 due to some symptoms (shakiness, light headedness, paliptations, etc.) that was making it impossible to even run a mile straight. I thought it was wise to stop running before things progressed further. It was kind of weird that this happened to me on a shorter long run, especially since I started feeling a hint of these symptoms kind of early on. I also felt like I was well hydrated enough and I was carrying electrolyte water (which I had already been using) and I had powerbar chews with me (which I started using when I felt bad) but neither of these seemed to help. I've suffered from low blood sugar episodes before and have found I'm a little prone to syncope episodes, but haven't really had an experience like this before while running. I had to walk 3.5 miles back to my car and felt a lot better after the first mile or so, but I knew better than to try to press my luck so I just continued to walk.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @HRKinchen Congrats on your first trail race! It certainly sounds and looks like you had an awesome run; fantastic pics! Now it's time to put your feet up and enjoy a well-earned Mother's Day! :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Skip cleans up great! She is so pretty!! I love the running shoes with her dress - perfect!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @angmarie28 Great job!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5/1- 8.1
    5/2- 4.6
    5/3-9
    5/4- REST
    5/5- 5.7
    5/6-20.1
    5/7- 5
    5/8- 8.2
    5/9- 4.7
    5/10- 10
    5/11- REST
    5/12- 5.7
    5/13- 20
    5/15- 5

Total: 106.1

May Goal: Get through most of the last 5 weeks before taper healthy
    Nominal mileage goal: 220 Miles.

Today's notes: Today's assignment was 5 miles. So, I ran 5 easy breezy miles with mom, who said it was the best mother's day present she could have gotten. I was really feeling yesterday on the run, tired legs! I thought it was a harder run, but HR data said average HR 138, so it was just my legs that didn't like it. Running slower, with mom made this more of a true recovery effort.

Have a Runderful day all!

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k<- yeah, I'm crazy enough to go for it
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Skip looks amazing in those shoes! :smiley:

Congrats on the excellent sounding event @HRKinchen!

@angmarie28 - Sounds like it could have been a PR of things had lined up better. Congrats!
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles
    May 14: 3.59 miles
    May total: 28.73 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber and @whatmerunning she did wears heels but wanted to take a few pictures in her running shoes. Based on her crying when she came in last night, I think she wish she wore them so she could run home. :cry:

@HRKinchen super job - that's a lot of standing water
    @angmarie28 you would have killed it if you had been sick - next time for sure. Still a great time.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Another warm, sunny runny this morning at 70 degrees. This was an easy effort run to keep loose after yesterday's 13.1 mile long run while allowing enough recovery before a workout planned for tomorrow.

My pace was about 20 to 30 seconds slower than past easy efforts on this route. I did notice some light sweat glistening on my arm during the last mile when I looked at my watch. That was something not really visible yesterday so I'm hoping this trend continues until I become a sweat gushing, extra drippy, sweaty sprinkler sytem ahead of the real summer heat. I guess the days of carrying water on my ~2 hour medium long run days are just about here. It is nice to go without water on those...But far worse to be needing water at just over an hour into the run.

I kept thinking about my plan to do tempo intervals in the middle of one of those medium long runs tomorrow and how interesting that will be considering the walk/run method I use currently. I don't expect to do regular distance intervals, like 8x400m, although I would very much like that. It will probably just be running intervals with the high/low HR alerts on my Garmin set to the high/low LT/tempo ranges in the Daniels tables. Run until the high alert chirps, then walk a bit to the low alert.

The real trick is planning Wednesdays steady tempo effort in the middle of that days medium-long distance. I don't have a steady pace currently...running with proper form puts me in the 10:00 to 11:00 minute mile pace, which I can't maintain on easy efforts or long runs. I'm hopeful that works for a tempo effort for me. Any slower and I can tell I'm not pushing off properly, not engaging my glutes as much, which over time gives me ITBS pain.

Time will tell. I'll get this figured out.

5/1 - 8 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - 8 miles
    5/4 - 4 miles
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 9 miles
    5/7 - 4 miles
    5/8 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 4 miles
    5/10 - 6 miles
    5/11 - rest
    5/12 - more rest
    5/13 - 13 miles (plus 0.1)
    5/14 - 4 miles

70 of 180 miles completed

exercise.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    5/1= 3 mile run + 1 hour kettlebell workout
    5/2 = rest day
    5/3 = 6 mile run
    5/4 = 6 mile run
    5/5 = forced rest day due to work schedule :(
    5/6 = 7.5 miles
    5/7 = 11 miles
    5/8 = 5.5 miles & strength training
    5/9 = Vinyasa yoga class
    5/10 = 6 miles
    5/11 = 6.5 miles & strength training
    5/12 = 7 miles
    5/13 = vinyasa yoga class
    5/14 = 10 miles

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. :)

May Goal 68.5/125 miles
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I went for the first run after the marathon on Friday.
    Just a short one, 3.6km. But much faster than planned - I was stuck at work for most of the evening, but had enough time at some point to sneak in a run, and I've got running clothes stashed in the office. Just not my watch; so I didn't pay attention to my pace while I was running, just checked the time on Strava when I stopped the app. My pace was really close to Marathon pace instead of recovery. Guess that was instinct after running at that pace for so long last Sunday :wink:
    I'm happy that everything felt fine during the run. Just after the run the left knee complained a tiny bit walking up some stairs, so I went cycling again on Saturday and Sunday instead of running. Although the weather is so nice, I'm still tempted to do a tiny bit of running today in addition...

---

@lporter229 It's your fault that I just spend money on some fitness DVDs :smiley:
    Not P90X3 though - Amazon France didn't have them, and when I looked for it on Amazon UK and DE instead, I saw that the german Amazon has "Insanity Asylum" on sale for 20 Euro. In a set with an agility ladder! I want one of those, and it's a lot cheaper than P90X3, so I'll give that one a try. The description sounded really promising as well. But they always do...

@Elise4270 Glad that Alex got my postcard before he moves on to his next station! I never know how long mail to the US will take.

@BeeerRunner Congrats on the new bike! I just started to discover cycling in the last year. With a nice bike, it can be so much fun :smile:

@angmarie28 Great race! And a great time, especially with sickness, no sleep and stopping for an ambulance.

@Orphia I'm not sure I can jump that high. Awesome photo!

@girlinahat Don't say things like "it's not shoes that make the runner" - how will I otherwise justify spending money on extending my running shoe collection? :smiley:

@HRKinchen Great that you enjoyed your race, looks like fun!

@WhatMeRunning Hot weather on race day is the worst! But it's great that you stuck to your planned effort - that's really not easy to do during a race.

@skippygirlsmom Great race. And adorable photos of Skip!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - love the pictures - she looks beautiful! :heartbreak: Crying when she came home... oh no!
    @angmarie28 - nice picture and great job on the race!
    @HRKinchen - trail sounds awesome! eyes down, feet up, :smile:

Happy Mother's Day to all you moms and dads who might be moms too!

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Yeah, I've tended to fall into marathon pace after every marathon I've run. Just have to watch it and consciously back off every so often. It feels kind of weird, to run with totally beat up legs but the cardio doing great.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    May Mileage goal 50 miles
    Non-Mileage Goal to add 1 running day to the week

5/4 Treadmill run at work 2 miles - Total for month 2 miles
    5/10 Hilly park run with Neeko - 2.7 Miles - Total 4.7 miles
    5/13 First run with J and Neeko - 1.4 Miles - Total 6.1 miles
    5/14 Run on Greenway Trail at work - 2.5 Miles - Total 8.6 miles

I have been slacking this month between work and hockey I have not been making time for myself like I need to so I can get my runs in. That I will be fixing starting now. We have a 3 week break in hockey, aside from a 3 day Tier 1 recruiting camp next weekend, starting this past week so that will make things easier. May starts our first experience with high school hockey including weight training 3 times a week and once a week on ice practices. I have J starting to run 2 times a week on top of this and yesterday was my first run with J and he was slacking big time so I need to find a way to motivate him. I don't know if he was nervous or didn't want to embarrass me by how slow I am compared to him or what was going on and he wouldn't talk about it. Ugh teenagers.

I had my first back to back run days and it went OK. My shins were a little sore today but not injured sore just tired sore so I took it easy. I have a break until Tuesday so I think I will be fine by then. I am planning to try to fit in either a Yoga session or at least some stretching and strength training tomorrow, depending on what my work schedule looks like.

I am way behind on posts and will try to catch up. In the meantime, congrats to everyone who raced and I can't wait to read the race reports. Hopefully no one is injured but if they are I am sorry and hope you heal soon.

@skippygirlsmom - I did see the picture of Skippy and she looks beautiful. I am sorry her evening ended on a bad note and hope she is OK today.

@HRKinchen - That trail looks like a blast!

@AngMarie28 - Sorry you missed you PR but it looks like you did great with the illnesses you fought thru.

2017 Races :
    6/10-11/17 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5K and or Quarter Marathon
    9/9/17 Kick off 5k (race 2 of series)
    9/10/17 River Run Half Marathon (doubtful)
    11/19/17 Halftime 10K (race 3 of series)
    2/4/18 Championship 5 miler (race 4 of series)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,974 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles

5/1/17: 4 miles
    5/3/17: 3.5 miles
    5/4/17: 3.1miles
    5/6/17: 3.1 miles
    5/7/17: 3.5 miles
    5/9/17: 4.1 miles
    5/10/17: 3.5 miles
    5/12/17: 2.5 miles
    5/14/17: 3.5 miles

30.8/50 miles

Nice run today. I should have gone earlier because it was already getting warm, but it wasn't too bad. I'm still trying to decide if I should sign up for a 5k on Saturday.

exercise.png