May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I took note of the alternate HR zones you gave and just calculated those. I came out with these. Very interesting.

Z1 - 119 to 132
    Z2 - 132 to 145
    Z3 - 145 to 158
    Z4 - 158 to 172
    Z5 - 172 to 185

These are very interesting as 132 is very close to the 130 transition point I use differentiating a long run from an easy run. The 145 seems pretty good too as this is about when I start looking at my watch to see if I have hit the 149 target I have been using. So that particular effort is another step for sure. The 158 transition is also a little interesting, but I am surprised to see 172. Wow. I can honestly say I've only ever run in that Z4 range during a 5k.

Right now I am doing my long runs as Z2 runs basically, with just a little bit over and under that range on both sides. Average HR on long run effort is 139, pretty much right in the middle of that zone.

My easy runs are currently Z1 through Z2, with the average HR being 135, just barely into Z2.

I'll have to Google the Karvonnen method to learn some more about it. I'm a little curious how much of a variance this is, and how I would be planning my runs using it at the moment. Having more data with value is always a good thing.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I made another reply to your post but it needs approval, I must have had one of those magic numbers in it. :smile: Ah yes, the one, one, nine number is in there.

ETA: Suffice it to say, I find the new numbers interesting. However, the Z2 high end number is a couple lower than what I have been running at...which was probably unexpected. From what I am reading this usually benefits most runners by allowing them to go at slightly higher efforts in the lower zones. It DOES have a larger number for the Z2 low end number by 2 points...so I can make a greater impact on my long runs. I'm still pretty fascinated by the Z3 and Z4 numbers I came up with...

Thanks for the added perspective! I think this will help with planning Wednesday's run, particularly these Z3 numbers. I may have been planning too hard an effort for the tempo run. I'm going to bang this up against the McMillan stuff also. I recall in the past that the McMillan stuff worked well for me in the past on the stamina runs, tempo and even intervals. I'm not sure why I hadn't looked there yet...but now that I am thinking about it... :smile:

Thanks again!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty you have plenty of time and, yes you can do it on a capped 10 mile LR in training. I say go for it. You have the time, and a coming race is a great motivator
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling with the higher temperatures, so pace was not good. Still got 5.28 miles in with run/walk.

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    On the downside...my race day photos this year are gawd awful!!! :grimace::grimace::grimace: BURN THEM!!! So much pooch. :grimace: And the moobs! :grimace::grimace::grimace:
    Preach it, brother, PREACH! I have YET to find a race photo that I like. Tho TBH, I have not found many pictures in my entire life that I like. Most of them have had someone else in 'em. Like SWMBO, or my sons.... :wink:

But yeah, I hate race pics. I'm usually scowling, or else I have this goofy expression with thumbs up (GOTTA find a better pose!), and I have NEVER had one where they caught me with both feet off the ground. In fact, they're usually BOTH feet on the ground.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    May goal: wear sunblock

5/1: sat on my okole. All. Day. Long.
    5/2: 3.13
    5/3: 6.06
    5/4: 4.08
    5/5 rest
    5/6: 4.15
    5/7 3.56
    5/8 snorkel 3.5 hours
    5/9 4.58
    5/10 3.38
    5/11 rest
    5/12 3.25
    5/13 life
    5/14 6.40
    5/15 4.13

Total: 42.72

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Gearing up for RDM had taught me that taper is not for my temperament- pray for my husband, haha! Not 100% if I will be able to check in again until after the marathon as we are tenting out that way for the long weekend with the kids. I hope everyone has a lovely week/racing weekend!

May 1- Rest
    May 2- 14.2
    May 3- Rest
    May 4- 14.5
    May 5- 18.8
    May 6- 8
    May 7- 23.3
    May 8-Rest
    May 9- 15.7
    May 10- Rest
    May 11- 15.7
    May 12- Rest
    May 13- 15.7
    May 14- Rest
    May 15- 11

136.9/300km

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @PinkamenaD8

It's actualy a recovery run, following a long run which is not slow (usually long runs are slow runs). Because I mostly run on asphalt and my legs feel stiffen, I do my recovery runs on grassy ground having an easy pace.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Going to shoot for daily short runs this week...

3/5/17 4.7K
    6/5/17 5K
    9/5/17 2.7K
    10/5/17 5.1K
    13/5/17 5K
    15/5/17 3K (TOTAL for May 25.5K)

exercise.png

• SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles
    May 16: 3.59 miles
    May total: 32.32 miles
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks but any other distance and you’d be lapping me.

@MobyCarp Thanks for reminding me I need to have more picture runs where I just relax and take in the scenery.

@9voice9 Congrats on first in your AG!

@juliet3455 Great finishing push and AG place and PB!

@ louubelle16 Thank you! I know I can run a sub 20 5K but the hotter it gets the less likely it will happen. It might have to wait till the fall.

@carolineb81 Great job doing hills. I think it’s one of the best workouts for runners. That and yoga.

@ddmom0811 Thanks! I’m never taking it (Cipro) after all the stories I’ve heard.

@kristinegift Glad your back is feeling better and you were able to run your HM. Also good job on knowing your body and holding back.

@garygse Thanks Gary. Your mileage and pace are impressive! I wish I could run distance. I’m 90% certain you don’t own a vehicle and you just run everywhere. LOL!

@WhatMeRunning I always like reading yours and @MobyCarp run analysis. I may not understand half of it but I always come away learning a little something and thinking about it during my runs. Like the whole thing about HR I don’t get. Is it to optimize your workout so that you don’t feel bad the next day or an early warning you’re going to start fatiguing? In my uneducated opinion, I think it would be good to push your heart like you do any other muscle to make it stronger. Sorry for my ignorance. I guess I should really read some theories on running.

@RespectTheKitty You’re going to do great! You’ve got a good base for being able to complete a HM. Like the others have said, when you hit a plateau (10 mi) you might have to change something. I hit a pace plateau a year ago. I couldn’t physically get past 9:00/mile. After talking with and watching faster runners. I shortened my stride and increased my cadence. I also started doing yoga. These made all the difference. I still have to remind myself about over striding or reaching with my feet. Maybe including some strength and stability training. Us runners have notoriously weak hips. I know once I lose the roll in my hips, my legs will soon tire and then I will try to run more with my arms.

I ran the Yorktown hills yesterday. Sunny and 72F. Only one other person showed up, George. He’s been on a couple week break so we took it pretty easy. He’s done 28 Marathons, 5 50 milers, a couple Ultras, and several 24hr runs so it was nice talking with him and taking in some knowledge. We ran 4.5 then I ran a little more after. George knew some of the cyclist riding around down there and we challenged them to race up a couple of the hills. That made it fun to pass a cyclist.

Hope everyone is having a great day and have a good run or rest day. Today’s a rest day for me. Tomorrow’s the Onion and WSG run and it’s supposed to be 94F!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning - you are cracking me up this morning between your spider web runs and your race photos. In the old days, when you would take a roll of film to the drug store, then pick it up days later, or an hour later, my husband and I would go through and throw away any pictures of ourselves we hated. Now with phone photos we do the same thing - delete that! But those race photos seem to be there forever. After being told several times that my race photos would be deleted (yes, please!) if I don't buy them, on Mother's day got an email that I can still buy them at a discount for Mother's Day. I didn't want them then and I don't now. A smart photographer would take the pics and then send us emails that we must send money to delete the pictures. I'd pay! lol
    Even though I'm not on a trail and just in my neighborhood I sometimes come across those morning spider webs and I freak out and am flailing my arms around.

Another slow 4 miles this morning to make sure I don't tear any ligaments on the cipro. I'm probably being over cautious but it's okay, I can use a week or so of slow running. Next weekend I'll be in cooler temps and can speed it up!

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training
    5/2 - 3.5 miles
    5/3 - 21 miles cycling
    5/4 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/5 - rest day
    5/6 - 34 miles cycling
    5/7 - 43 miles cycling
    5/8 - 4.6 miles + strength training
    5/9 - rest day
    5/10 - 4.5 miles + cycling 21 miles
    5/11 - strength training
    5/12 - 4.6 miles
    5/13 - 34 miles cycling
    5/14 - rest day
    5/15 - 3.8 miles + upper body strength training
    5/16 - 4 miles

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 Hehe, it would be awesome if I did run everywhere, though doing the weekly shopping trips would be a bit tough, lol.

Still in cutback week, so today was nothing special other than running easy with the group, and then a quick final lap to get back to the office.

01 - 13.50
    02 - 10.58
    03 - 13.49
    04 - 9.80
    05 - 20.14
    08 - 12.99
    09 - 9.77
    10 - 13.42
    11 - 5.69
    12 - 20.28
    15 - 6.01
    16 - 8.04

Total: 143.71 / 225 miles
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty You can DEFINITELY do a HM! I had that same 10mile barrier when I first ran one in 2014, but the adrenaline of the event gets you round the entire distance. Yes, what others have said about strengthening your core, using a sensible training programme and getting your fuelling right will help, but the crowds and the emotion of the achievement will do more for you on the day. Go for it!

Until today, I had been really enjoying the reduced mileage and cross-training plan I've put myself on following marathon training and injury, but today I had one of those runs that I didn't want to end and I hated having to go home after 3 miles. My legs finally feel like mine again after months of struggling, and I want to use them! I guess this means I'm ready to start base building again, maybe I'll start next week. Another easy week won't hurt.

May Running Challenge

1st - 3.55 miles
    2nd - 1.1 miles +Spin
    3rd - 6.19 miles
    6th - 3.1 miles
    8th - 1 mile +Spin
    9th - 3.66 miles +Yoga
    10th - 3.12 miles
    14th - 0.61 miles (WU) + 6.2miles (race)
    16th - 3.32 miles +Yoga

MTD - 31.85/60 miles

Upcoming Races
    25th June - Greenwich Park 10km
    22nd July - Richmond Riverside 10km
    15th October - Manchester HM