Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No diet or exercise

Options

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    You will find that most legal weight loss products say in the small print... "along with diet and exercise". Guess what's actually causing the weight loss?

Also, there's a bit of psychology involved. Once someone shells out the money for all these products, they are more focused on seeing results, so subconsciously they pay more attention to... diet and exercise. They give credit to the wrap, or the green tea extract, or the PH water, but what they don't realize is that once there was $$$ on the line, they actually focused on eating less and moving more. Which is what actually caused the weight loss.

[runs back to put diet/exercise disclosure in the 50 pages on fine print on Magical Unicorn Sparkles(TM) (All Rights Reserved)]

91gmkizjrdal.jpg

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ^^^would probably be funnier if my whimsical memes would post correctly.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Call it what you will, but the ONLY way to lose weight is by eating less calories than your body burns. There is no magic to it. It is simple science.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

A buddy of mine in the Army got a tapeworm and he lost a lot of weight before they figured out what was wrong with him.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Also, there's a bit of psychology involved. Once someone shells out the money for all these products, they are more focused on seeing results, so subconsciously they pay more attention to... diet and exercise. They give credit to the wrap, or the green tea extract, or the PH water, but what they don't realize is that once there was $$$ on the line, they actually focused on eating less and moving more. Which is what actually caused the weight loss.

+1. I started medication for my blood pressure recently, having come to the unfortunate conclusion that I was probably already doing all I was likely to reliably do in terms of diet and exercise, and that wasn't enough. I lost 5 pounds in 5 days (on an ACE inhibitor, not a diuretic!) because the act of starting meds was enough to about halve my sodium intake. And my non-water-weight loss rate doubled over the rate it had been steady at for the prior four months, because I started exercising more and eating less.

ACE inhibitors don't cause weight loss, but I could totally spin my experience as if they did.
  • Angall08
    Angall08 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

I've heard of tape worms but I didn't know doctors are the ones who were behind it. That's insane and extremely dangerous.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    LucasLean wrote: »
    Freezing your body to get thin?

Funny you should ask, I tried freezing myself in the ice of Antarctica. Must have been year 1810. Didn't work. Woke up the same body fat with strange boats flying in the sky.

Waitaminnit! You're right! In Captain America, the First Avenger, after they thawed him out, he didn't look like he'd lost an ounce in sixty years!
  • Angall08
    Options
    manwaffles wrote: »
    Is this your slick way of asking if any of us are cocaine or meth dealers?...

Why on earth would I want to know if someone is on drugs. I could care less. I am asking about weight loss suppliments. And things like stomach wrap, vibrating machines, twisting boards, freezing, surgery and so on. Not what kind of wacky drugs someone uses.

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    You're asking on a diet and excersise site......seriously what do you think.

I was simply asking if it's ever worked for other people. I personally don't think it works but everyone is different. I haven't tried other stuff but other people have.

No, people aren't different, a calorie deficit is the only thing that's ever worked for anyone, ever.
  • manwaffles
    manwaffles Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Why on earth would I want to know if someone is on drugs. I could care less. I am asking about weight loss suppliments. And things like stomach wrap, vibrating machines, twisting boards, freezing, surgery and so on. Not what kind of wacky drugs someone uses.

Eets a jolk...My sarcastic response was alluding to the theme of most of these answers: There is no replacement for good ol diet and exercise, short of surgeries or illegal substances :wink:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Regarding surgical removal of fat....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772916

An average of 16 pounds from surgery. This was AFTER significant weight lost by the candidates. Consider also the months of recovery after surgery, the wearing of a corset day and night to encourage the outer skin to reattach to the flesh.

It would be far less expensive to lose a pound a week over four months. Waaaay easier.

Re: the bolded :confounded::# owwie!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @pinuplove that's what freaks me out about plastic surgery on the belly. The surface area trauma is massive compared to bariatric surgery. The recovery takes months. For me, no thanks.
  • Angall08
    Options

Eets a jolk...My sarcastic response was alluding to the theme of most of these answers: There is no replacement for good ol diet and exercise, short of surgeries or illegal substances :wink:

Oh my goodness I apologize for freaking out. It seemed like a serious statement so I was like wtf lol