Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No diet or exercise

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @pinuplove that's what freaks me out about plastic surgery on the belly. The surface area trauma is massive compared to bariatric surgery. The recovery takes months. For me, no thanks.

Not to mention that the scarring from the surgery is often more unsightly than the fat and/or loose skin.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've taken an EC stack in addition to a deficit. Didn't really do much. Definitely wouldn't do anything if I wasn't in a deficit.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Regarding surgical removal of fat....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772916

An average of 16 pounds from surgery. This was AFTER significant weight lost by the candidates. Consider also the months of recovery after surgery, the wearing of a corset day and night to encourage the outer skin to reattach to the flesh.

It would be far less expensive to lose a pound a week over four months. Waaaay easier.

That study wasn't about surgical removal of fat. It's about removal of excess abdominal skin following weight loss. It's really hard to lose 16 pounds of abdominal *skin* over any period without surgery.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Regarding surgical removal of fat....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16772916

An average of 16 pounds from surgery. This was AFTER significant weight lost by the candidates. Consider also the months of recovery after surgery, the wearing of a corset day and night to encourage the outer skin to reattach to the flesh.

It would be far less expensive to lose a pound a week over four months. Waaaay easier.

That study wasn't about surgical removal of fat. It's about removal of excess abdominal skin following weight loss. It's really hard to lose 16 pounds of abdominal *skin* over any period without surgery.

I dont know it all depends on how big your belly got when you gained weight. there are people out there that have had more than 20 lbs of excess skin on their abdomen,but they were severely obese
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    You're asking on a diet and excersise site......seriously what do you think.

I was simply asking if it's ever worked for other people. I personally don't think it works but everyone is different. I haven't tried other stuff but other people have.

The answers saying you must be in a deficit to lose weight are incorrect. Freezing does cause weight loss without diet or exercise, as does liposuction. These things destroy or remove fat cells from your body causing you to lose fat without being in a calorie deficit. They are not magic, they are clinical procedures and they do work.

but the cool sculpt sites(and the ones who do the procedures) state that you have to already be at a low body fat % before they will even do the treatments. its basically for those who lost all the weight they needed and just want to lose the little bit of fat they may have.its not for those who have a lot of fat.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    sounds like you're really committed for long term success..i lost 65lbs in 7 months. The amount of time you've spent looking for magic...you could have already had success.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

Is that the one people have died from by essentially "cooking" themselves from the inside?

As far as I am aware there have been 63 deaths attributed to DNP published in the medical literature. However, that goes back to 1918 (a factory worked in a explosives factory) so not exactly a startling number. In fact almost all of those were prior to the 30s when it was banned.

They are due to "cooking" themselves as you say. I was more think about the incidences of non-lethal side effects reported though.

(sorry if I'm not allowed to discuss things like DNP this BTW)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

I've heard of tape worms but I didn't know doctors are the ones who were behind it. That's insane and extremely dangerous.
    Not modern doctors, at any rate. We're talking late 1800s to early 1900s here, really.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I was simply asking if it's ever worked for other people. I personally don't think it works but everyone is different. I haven't tried other stuff but other people have.

The answers saying you must be in a deficit to lose weight are incorrect. Freezing does cause weight loss without diet or exercise, as does liposuction. These things destroy or remove fat cells from your body causing you to lose fat without being in a calorie deficit. They are not magic, they are clinical procedures and they do work.

but the cool sculpt sites(and the ones who do the procedures) state that you have to already be at a low body fat % before they will even do the treatments. its basically for those who lost all the weight they needed and just want to lose the little bit of fat they may have.its not for those who have a lot of fat.

That's what I find interesting and attractive about it... The ability to clean out some of the "extra" fat cells that I'm carrying around... after I hit and maintain my target BF level and maintain it for a while.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

I've heard of tape worms but I didn't know doctors are the ones who were behind it. That's insane and extremely dangerous.
    Not modern doctors, at any rate. We're talking late 1800s to early 1900s here, really.

Now they are investigating worms, or rather chemicals they release, to treat inflammatory diseases actually. Everything comes full circle I guess.

On weight loss without trying though, that's usually a bad sign. My cousin started losing a lot of weight suddenly for reason and it was due to diabetes. Of course once they put you on insulin you tend to gain quickly. Or cancer you know, people suddenly start losing weight with that too.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    manwaffles wrote: »
    manwaffles wrote: »
    Is this your slick way of asking if any of us are cocaine or meth dealers?...

Why on earth would I want to know if someone is on drugs. I could care less. I am asking about weight loss suppliments. And things like stomach wrap, vibrating machines, twisting boards, freezing, surgery and so on. Not what kind of wacky drugs someone uses.

Eets a jolk...My sarcastic response was alluding to the theme of most of these answers: There is no replacement for good ol diet and exercise, short of surgeries or illegal substances :wink:

Illegal substances apart from marijuana cuz that makes you reeeealllly hungry and eat more ... or so I've heard
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Amputation works.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »

No, people aren't different, a calorie deficit is the only thing that's ever worked for anyone, ever.

Incorrect
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No, people aren't different, a calorie deficit is the only thing that's ever worked for anyone, ever.

Incorrect

Yes, but we don't recommend the meth diet here.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Incorrect

Yes, but we don't recommend the meth diet here.

Meth won't cause you to lose weight unless you are in a deficit. But there are legal, relatively safe methods that will (as discussed above). I'm not advocating for or against them, but liposuction does work and has been around for a long time and is relatively safe. Coolsculpting is relatively knew, but has become quite popular.