Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No diet or exercise

Options

Replies

• HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multivitamin every morning in college with my thyroid medication and inexplicably lost 9lbs that month. I don't know if it made my medication more effective, or if it subconsciously made me feel (and act) healthier. It encouraged me to start exercising a little the next month (just jazzercise style) and watching what I ate (still ate tons of pasta and pizza tho, just less overall) and I lost 60lbs in 4 months. I kind of wonder if that stupid vitamin may have made me go hyperthyroid somehow.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tapeworms are not an urban legend for weight loss (as in, they were definitely marketed for a long time as a weight loss product). And while a person can be infected without symptoms (including no weight loss), they can also cause serious potentially side effects (upset stomach, abdominal pain, even physical obstruction of ducts) which contributes to weight loss at that stage. Keep in mind, buying tapeworms is ILLEGAL in the US for weight loss for these reasons, plus public health and food safety reasons (those tapeworms infect cows/pigs and cause the meat to be rejected for consumption and financially impact farmers and detrimentally affect the health of their herds/stock).

Here is a semi-recent article about a woman in Iowa who bought one online: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/16/tapeworm-weight-loss-scam/2666005/

Here is a CDC article about the disease for those biology/parasitology nerds out there:
    https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/taeniasis/gen_info/faqs.html

Fun fact: it is SUPER common for dogs and cats to get tapeworms, which they get from fleas (also mentioned in the CDC article), but that type doesn't really affect humans, and they barely affect dogs/cats (mostly because people freak out when they see the "rice" segments (aka the tapeworm segments) in their pet's feces).

ETA: sorry if this is TMI for some folks!
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Cold showers, something about converting white fat to brown fat. Brown fat is what the body burns for energy.

And drugs, do alot of heroin you'll slim right up. Lol jk don't.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I want to market a new fad diet. It's called the "Smack Your Hand Diet." It works every time for everyone. All you do is hire someone to follow you around and smack your hand whenever you reach for a food that exceeds your calorie limit.

I've been advocating this for years. You could employ 4 people in a rotating shift full-time / person (or have set shifts for a greater number). It'd still be cheaper than weight loss surgery.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I read a comment here who said something like: if it's legal it doesn't works, if it's illegal it will harm you.

There's also appetite suppressants. But they're not magical, you've to eat at a deficit and keep your energy balance after losing weight wich is hard for someone who hasn't learned to regulate his nutrition and control his appetite himself.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    My mother once told me that when she was young some doctors gave tape worms in a capsule. You swallowed it, lost weight over time, then they treated the tape worm. I'm not desperate enough to infect myself with a parasite - yet.

I've heard of tape worms but I didn't know doctors are the ones who were behind it. That's insane and extremely dangerous.
    Not modern doctors, at any rate. We're talking late 1800s to early 1900s here, really.

Exactly! If you want to be horrified and entertained at the same time, check out the ads in reproductions of Victorian magazines and newspapers - arsenic was another popular item.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is a "smack yourself" technique. It's called a rubber band. Snap it every time you are overwhelmed by a compulsion. It can "snap" you out of it.
  • armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bariatric surgery along with diet and exercise. Highly successful.

Doesn't bariatric surgery literally work by enforcing CICO?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The crohn's malabsorption diet
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The crohn's malabsorption diet

<3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Angall08 wrote: »
    Have any of you tried to lose weight without diet or exercise, such as taking diet pills, using body wraps, or even as crazy as freezing your body to get thin. If you have tried a different method what was it and did it help?

Phentermine plus fenfluramine (phen/fen) worked marvelously for me, but fenfluramine was of course withdrawn from the market due to damaging hearts, and that soured me on the whole diet pill thing.

I didn't learn healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained the weight back when I stopped taking it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I want to market a new fad diet. It's called the "Smack Your Hand Diet." It works every time for everyone. All you do is hire someone to follow you around and smack your hand whenever you reach for a food that exceeds your calorie limit.

Nuns that have retired from Catholic school teaching?

Perfect! They could also have a bell and follow you yelling "shame" if you exceed your calorie target for the day.

d91bc6877fbd11d897e2ace2074fe3b9_shame-memes-game-of-thrones-memesuper-shame-memes-game-of-shame-meme_600-714.jpeg
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I look at like if you're hungry eat, not to feel full, just satisfied, be conscious about what you're taking into your body, stay away from trigger foods or alcohol that will forget how much calories you're taking in and if you are going to be physically active feed yourself to maintain strength so you do lose energy or risk injury. Simple guidelines to follow
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I tried body wrap, didn't work. Tried diet pills didn't work.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »
    I tried body wrap, didn't work. Tried diet pills didn't work.

because those things dont work.
  • inkedillini26
    inkedillini26 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    3r6jbqifr9xg.gif

Is this question for realsies?