Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    someone asked about the old navy pants- well- here ya go- I weigh about 175 pounds- these are size 12 regular rockstar jeans. They fit mostly okay. I like them enough I have two pairs and reach for them all the time. c8a64xw0awjp.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    @psuLemon :( I'd say eat some ice cream- always makes you feel better- but well- that's not going to help you or me. LMAO.

womp womp. I feel the same way about my pants. ALL THE FLUFF is keeping the clothes tight. I'm debating going to buy new pants- but I'm trying to hold out- in 15 pounds- they SHOULD fit. sigh. #strugglebusisreal

Chocolate marshmellow and Klondikes are what got me into this mess... and a pregnant wife.... super nauseated and can only eat a few things (ice cream is one of those things)... Ironically, she has lost 16 lbs so far. I'm jealous, ha.

Well it being pretty much summer, do you have dresses?

OMG! Have you had the caramel pretzel? I love those. I must try the chocolate marshmallow!

Funny - the talk of keeping bigger clothes. I did a closet purge a few months ago but I kept 3 pairs of jeans and 2 yoga pants that are a tad big because I was thinking about bulking again - before I even finished cutting!

I just finished the first week of thinner, leaner, stronger. I like it but am a little worried. Bench press once a week?!?! It just seems wrong.

I am a fairly equal opportunity Klondike eater. But the Chocolate Marshmallow was ice cream.. I realized I left that last part off.

I am starting to share similar concerns with BLS. While there is bench 2x a week (in the four day), I am thinking the frequency is lacking since most things are 1x a week (it's an upper/lower, but core lifts are only once a week).

I do like the simplicity of the program and the progression scheme, so it's definitely been on my head on whether to switch or not.

My program is, I am still seeing noob gains but am debating if I am leaving anything on the table.

Interesting. I had been debating TLS or BLS. It sounds like TLS might have a little more lower body work and BLS might have a little more upper body work?

I am also doing the 4 day split:
    Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

It has me doing squats twice a week. Deadlift once, but RDL the next time. I am going to do it as written for the first 8 weeks. If I feel like I am not progressing I might just add a bench press to shoulder/calves day. I am tapped out for any gains on bench from my previous program so I really do need to do something different.

@Gallowmere1984 - Truly awesome deltoids!

I really need to finish reading TLS. It does appear TLS is more lower focus and BLS is more upper focus.

I was just thinking, one thing that you can do is switch the accessory days. So on Chest days, do the shoulder accessories. And on the Shoulder days, do chest accessories. When I worked with Sidesteel on his version of the Wendler program, we did this.

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Upper Chest/Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Abs

I also wonder if this is addressed in Beyond BLS.

Mike Matthews was just live on FB. I mentioned my concern about bench press only being once a week with TLS. He said that most women are more focused on the lower half of their body - so that is why TLS has more of a lower body focus. He asked me to e-mail him so we can figure out how to best fit in another session of bench press (I am guessing shoulder & calves day).

Oh my gosh - he is really cute!

Wow, awesome. I guess he really does care about helping people.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon :( I'd say eat some ice cream- always makes you feel better- but well- that's not going to help you or me. LMAO.

womp womp. I feel the same way about my pants. ALL THE FLUFF is keeping the clothes tight. I'm debating going to buy new pants- but I'm trying to hold out- in 15 pounds- they SHOULD fit. sigh. #strugglebusisreal

Chocolate marshmellow and Klondikes are what got me into this mess... and a pregnant wife.... super nauseated and can only eat a few things (ice cream is one of those things)... Ironically, she has lost 16 lbs so far. I'm jealous, ha.

OMG! Have you had the caramel pretzel? I love those. I must try the chocolate marshmallow!

Funny - the talk of keeping bigger clothes. I did a closet purge a few months ago but I kept 3 pairs of jeans and 2 yoga pants that are a tad big because I was thinking about bulking again - before I even finished cutting!

I just finished the first week of thinner, leaner, stronger. I like it but am a little worried. Bench press once a week?!?! It just seems wrong.

I am a fairly equal opportunity Klondike eater. But the Chocolate Marshmallow was ice cream.. I realized I left that last part off.

I am starting to share similar concerns with BLS. While there is bench 2x a week (in the four day), I am thinking the frequency is lacking since most things are 1x a week (it's an upper/lower, but core lifts are only once a week).

I do like the simplicity of the program and the progression scheme, so it's definitely been on my head on whether to switch or not.

My program is, I am still seeing noob gains but am debating if I am leaving anything on the table.

Interesting. I had been debating TLS or BLS. It sounds like TLS might have a little more lower body work and BLS might have a little more upper body work?

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

It has me doing squats twice a week. Deadlift once, but RDL the next time. I am going to do it as written for the first 8 weeks. If I feel like I am not progressing I might just add a bench press to shoulder/calves day. I am tapped out for any gains on bench from my previous program so I really do need to do something different.

I really need to finish reading TLS. It does appear TLS is more lower focus and BLS is more upper focus.

I was just thinking, one thing that you can do is switch the accessory days. So on Chest days, do the shoulder accessories. And on the Shoulder days, do chest accessories. When I worked with Sidesteel on his version of the Wendler program, we did this.

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

Mike Matthews was just live on FB. I mentioned my concern about bench press only being once a week with TLS. He said that most women are more focused on the lower half of their body - so that is why TLS has more of a lower body focus. He asked me to e-mail him so we can figure out how to best fit in another session of bench press (I am guessing shoulder & calves day).

Wow, awesome. I guess he really does care about helping people.

Considering all of the free content he's put up on his site over the years, he'd have to. Hell, I had a pretty good idea of exactly how BLS functioned before I even bought the book, because of those articles and posts. If you read the comments/questions sections on those, he and his staff reach out to people on a constant basis.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Update: my lean bulk turned into an accidental deficit, due to my increase in active recovery work and increased lifting volume. I knew it was coming, as I watched my weight increases slow from 0.5/week to 0.3, then 0.2. As of yesterday and today though, the moving average is down 0.1 and 0.15. My recovery had been relatively bleh for the past week, so I had my suspicions well before the trend confirmed it.

I've added another 100 kcals on lifting days to try and level off. This puts me at 2850 on recovery days, and 3450 on lifting days. Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Update: my lean bulk turned into an accidental deficit, due to my increase in active recovery work and increased lifting volume. I knew it was coming, as I watched my weight increases slow from 0.5/week to 0.3, then 0.2. As of yesterday and today though, the moving average is down 0.1 and 0.15. My recovery had been relatively bleh for the past week, so I had my suspicions well before the trend confirmed it.

I've added another 100 kcals on lifting days to try and level off. This puts me at 2850 on recovery days, and 3450 on lifting days. Let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

I am impressed with how meticulous you are! I usually have an unknown meal once a week which leaves me guessing - not to mention the spike in weight. It usually takes me a few weeks to see a trend because of it.

It has been kinda a bleh week for lifting for me. I really wasn't feeling it. I did manage to force myself and got increases on everything!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I am impressed with how meticulous you are! I usually have an unknown meal once a week which leaves me guessing - not to mention the spike in weight. It usually takes me a few weeks to see a trend because of it.

It has been kinda a bleh week for lifting for me. I really wasn't feeling it. I did manage to force myself and got increases on everything!

I'm definitely more anal about it than I need to be. However, I feel that having the most accurate data sets possible will allow me to adjust rapidly as soon as things veer off course a bit. If I had a bunch of unknown variables, and more spaced out data, it makes it far more likely that I'd be one of those "zomg, what is happening, turning hardgainer HALP!" people that we see every now and again.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 wow you are very precise, pretty much the opposite of my bulk which was completely intuitive! :p

@bioklutz that is great when lift increases come when you least expect them! Yay! oh and to add that is SO COOL about Mike Matthews. I just got his book and I am about halfway through. He sounds like a really awesome guy!

My cut is going alright, my whole body is looking good except the parts where I hold onto stubborn fat.. but that is all part of it and I just gotta keep truckin' (right?)
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Chest/Triceps/Calves
    Back/Butt/Biceps/ABS
    Shoulders/Calves
    Legs/Butt/ABS

BLS is set up like

Chest/Calves
    Back/Biceps/Abs
    Legs/Abs

That's great!! He used to answer ALL the emails and community board questions himself several years ago, but they've just gotten too busy over the past year or so. I love that he's doing some live Q & A's himself still. He's got lots of podcasts too, if you all are interested.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I'm definitely more anal about it than I need to be. However, I feel that having the most accurate data sets possible will allow me to adjust rapidly as soon as things veer off course a bit. If I had a bunch of unknown variables, and more spaced out data, it makes it far more likely that I'd be one of those "zomg, what is happening, turning hardgainer HALP!" people that we see every now and again.

I was far more satisfied and comfortable with the rate of bulking and cutting when I was more meticulous- this last season was easily the sloppiest bulk I've done so far- and the cut has been played fast and loose also- and it shows. I think more data with a knowledge of trusting the process is the key. So you can do as you said above- made adjustments as you see you need them.

speaking of- I really needed to do progress pictures today- womp womp. That would have been smart. I'm bummed- the odds that this weekend is going to pull in my favor for calories/working out is just really small- but we'll see. I'm headed to DC to spend a weekend with my friend before the USAF wisks her away to some island in the middle of no where. So- odds hare not in my flavor.
  • bioklutz
    Options
    @TresaAswegan - Looking good! You have an impressive muscle base. Do you know your body fat %? Have you calculated what your body fat might be if you dropped 30 more pounds?

I have spent the month trying to get back to maintenance calories but kinda failing. I have had 3 family events this month where I ate heavier for the day. It kinda triggered something - for the day I had an insatiable appetite. I felt like I needed more calories and NOW. I didn't really have a craving for a certain type of food - just all the foods and right now. I am pretty sure those days were well over 5,000 calories.

I am trying to get a handle on this. My weight is starting to stabilize and this week I have managed to add 50 calories every few days without losing my *kitten*. I am hoping to at maintenance calories by next weekend.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @TresaAswegan - Looking good! You have an impressive muscle base. Do you know your body fat %? Have you calculated what your body fat might be if you dropped 30 more pounds?

I have spent the month trying to get back to maintenance calories but kinda failing. I have had 3 family events this month where I ate heavier for the day. It kinda triggered something - for the day I had an insatiable appetite. I felt like I needed more calories and NOW. I didn't really have a craving for a certain type of food - just all the foods and right now. I am pretty sure those days were well over 5,000 calories.

I am trying to get a handle on this. My weight is starting to stabilize and this week I have managed to add 50 calories every few days without losing my *kitten*. I am hoping to at maintenance calories by next weekend.

I'm probably high 30's right now, close to 40%?
    I'm hoping 140-145 would put me around mid to low 20's, but I really have no idea.
    My lowest weight before I started lifting (and gaining) was 130.
    It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of composition changes I've made since then!

ETA I look much better "posed" (obviously). From the side I definitely have a lot of fat to lose.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    By the by- You're a monster. In all the best ways possible @TresaAswegan
  • bioklutz
    Options

I'm probably high 30's right now, close to 40%?
    I'm hoping 140-145 would put me around mid to low 20's, but I really have no idea.
    My lowest weight before I started lifting (and gaining) was 130.
    It will definitely be interesting to see what kind of composition changes I've made since then!

ETA I look much better "posed" (obviously). From the side I definitely have a lot of fat to lose.

The shape of your thighs is really lovely right now! You are going to have incredible legs! When you said you were looking to drop 30 pounds I thought it was a typo. :) I never would guess 40%.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    0aes0sf9zbox.png

Aww, thanks frands.

Here's an unflattering pic from the other day. After several meals, but you get the idea. Lots of belly yet, and quite a bit that could go from my arms and legs. I think my arms are going to be pretty small unfortunately lol.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @TresaAswegan Wow, amazing shape! Those quads....
  • hardyd85
    hardyd85 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just finished up a 7 month bulk running 531 boring but big. 190lbs to 230lbs bodyweight
    Squat 355 to 405
    Deadlift 420 to 470
    Bench 305 to 330
    Military press 180 to 205
    Now I'm going to focus on cutting using 531 bodybuilder template as it has a little more volume.