What is a particular "health" food that you can't stand?

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Salad. Rabbit food I swear. Unless it's overloaded with veggies, it's so not worth it and if that's the case why don't I just skip the grass and eat the veggies.... yup.

But have you ever put hot dogs in your salad?

I am really posting about this hot dog salad, trying to get everyone on board, but no one seems interested. lmao

I love hot dogs but it depends on brands. They have to be kosher or they make me queasy. I could dogs in a salad.

I need to eat a lot of volume so I use the chicken dogs. Because I like 4 hot dogs. I don't know...I'm a mess. But it's working and I love my hot dog salad.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Salad. Rabbit food I swear. Unless it's overloaded with veggies, it's so not worth it and if that's the case why don't I just skip the grass and eat the veggies.... yup.

I am really posting about this hot dog salad, trying to get everyone on board, but no one seems interested. lmao

Yes @bbell1985 I keep seeing your hot dog salad mentions and I just... don't know. :#:D
  • bbell1985
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »

Yes @bbell1985 I keep seeing your hot dog salad mentions and I just... don't know. :#:D

LMAO but come on. Profile pic. That's my 144lb hot dog salad body.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »

LMAO but come on. Profile pic. That's my 144lb hot dog salad body.

Girl, it's obviously working for you. I love hot dogs but it'll be a while before I get bored enough to put them in a salad. Haven't thought to look for chicken dogs though... I will next time I'm in the store. Hot dogs w/ no bun + side salad - I can do that.

• jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I actually almost like kale, but, it's only a pretty passive like. I would probably buy collards instead except my pet tortoise and rats prefer the kale, so, kale it is. I only like collards slightly more.

Things I hate:
    baby carrots- I freakin hate baby carrots. They aren't really baby carrots, they are just reprocessed ugly carrots that would have been sold as cattle feed. If I'm going to eat a carrot, it will be a real carrot that still looks like a carrot.. lol (AND, it's not probably going to happen because they aren't that good, I'd rather eat sweet potato for the same vitamins)

oatmeal- I mean c'mon. I've tried every variation. I've tried overnight oats, I've tried steel cut oats, I've tried quick oats, I've even tried the fancy ones that come in a glass jar. It's just glop. Sure, you can add berries and stuff OR you can just eat all those delicious things separately instead of contaminating them with oatmeal. If someone told me I had to eat oatmeal, I would just eat it dry, right out of the container, still less gross.

iceberg lettuce- just no. It's everything that was wrong with the $1 McDonald's side salad. Gack.

Diet versions of anything - there is no such thing as a good diet variation of anything. My sister made me try Halo ice cream the other day and I could just taste the chemicals in it. It had a weird bitter aftertaste. Apparently, not everyone can taste that. If aspartame tastes bitter to you instead of sweet then you have the taste receptors that allow you to notice that. I would rather buy a box of those 100 calorie lil' drums and at least have a real ice cream cone even if it is kinda tiny.. lol

PS, by diet version, I mean they have switched the ingredients to either remove fat or remove sugar. I don't have any issue at all with diet versions that are just little versions of the same snack. :)

There's no aspartame in Halo Top. It has stevia and erythritol, which are both naturally-occurring plant sugars (actually erythritol is a sugar alcohol).

Stevia does taste bitter to many people, but it's not a "chemical" any more than regular cane sugar is a chemical, it just happens to taste bitter to some people - so do Brussels sprouts. Technically I guess all foods are made up of chemicals.

See, I didn't read the label.. lol It just tasted just like aspartame so I assumed it was. I didn't like Stevia when I tried it either, it was more bitter than sweet.

I suppose the correct word was bitter. I wonder if it's the same taste receptor that let you taste bitter in Stevia as the ones that let you taste it in aspartame? My spouse cannot taste the bitter in either.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Double yuck. And anything made from tofu or soy that is supposed to resemble meat. Fake meat. No thank you. Just give me a nice steak or piece of chicken.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

?? By definition salads must contain vegetables, but why in the world would you put grass on your salad?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Tofu.
    Chlorella.
    Edamame.
    Chia seeds.
    Kale chips. Raw kale in chopped salads is great. Chips, not so much.
    Bok choy.
    'Low Fat!' anything. No thanks, I prefer to keep my gall bladder.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers and mashed cauliflower
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In order: Broccoli (can't even have it in the house), those bitter greens that people in Los Angeles love to pair with Balsamic vinegar, kale (with the exception of a massaged kale and mango salad that my husband makes) and beets.

Is it odd that I love Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, but cannot go near broccoli?
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wheat germ. My mom went through a health food kick back in the 70s and put wheat germ on everything. We ate so much of that stuff back then, ugh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Pupslice wrote: »
    Wheat germ. My mom went through a health food kick back in the 70s and put wheat germ on everything. We ate so much of that stuff back then, ugh.

Oh you just reminded me of psyillum husk. Had some 'professional' once tell me to drink it mixed with water. BLERGH!!!!!!
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    hot oatmeal for breakfast. I have tried so many times to like it, I just can't do warm, goopy cereal. I like oatmeal cookies though!!
  • mikkijoe
    mikkijoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kimiej825 wrote: »
    I'm probably the only one who's going to say this: coconut - I can't eat anything that smells like it came out of a tanning lotion bottle. I think it's a texture thing too.

Same. Can't stand coconut.
  • intercepter811tch
    intercepter811tch Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Avacado but love guacamole
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    This is really fun! But, I like kale and a bunch of other things listed here.

But, I hate zucchini. Tastes like rotten cucumber.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    So many people hate kale. I like it but it's more calorie dense than lettuce so I tend not to pick it. Plus I think I'm allergic to it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    any kind of smoothie with veggies, fruit, protein powder and/or spirulina. No thank you.
    I don't drink them, make them, etc.

The only "smoothies" in my house are frozen banana & almond milk shakes once in a blue moon, or maybe the same thing with addition of strawberries.

All that other stuff gags me but I know dozens of people who love it and/or live on it. I would much, much rather just sit and eat the fruit and vegetables whole.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I actually almost like kale, but, it's only a pretty passive like. I would probably buy collards instead except my pet tortoise and rats prefer the kale, so, kale it is. I only like collards slightly more.

Things I hate:
    baby carrots- I freakin hate baby carrots. They aren't really baby carrots, they are just reprocessed ugly carrots that would have been sold as cattle feed. If I'm going to eat a carrot, it will be a real carrot that still looks like a carrot.. lol (AND, it's not probably going to happen because they aren't that good, I'd rather eat sweet potato for the same vitamins)

oatmeal- I mean c'mon. I've tried every variation. I've tried overnight oats, I've tried steel cut oats, I've tried quick oats, I've even tried the fancy ones that come in a glass jar. It's just glop. Sure, you can add berries and stuff OR you can just eat all those delicious things separately instead of contaminating them with oatmeal. If someone told me I had to eat oatmeal, I would just eat it dry, right out of the container, still less gross.

iceberg lettuce- just no. It's everything that was wrong with the $1 McDonald's side salad. Gack.

Diet versions of anything - there is no such thing as a good diet variation of anything. My sister made me try Halo ice cream the other day and I could just taste the chemicals in it. It had a weird bitter aftertaste. Apparently, not everyone can taste that. If aspartame tastes bitter to you instead of sweet then you have the taste receptors that allow you to notice that. I would rather buy a box of those 100 calorie lil' drums and at least have a real ice cream cone even if it is kinda tiny.. lol

PS, by diet version, I mean they have switched the ingredients to either remove fat or remove sugar. I don't have any issue at all with diet versions that are just little versions of the same snack. :)

There's no aspartame in Halo Top. It has stevia and erythritol, which are both naturally-occurring plant sugars (actually erythritol is a sugar alcohol).

Stevia does taste bitter to many people, but it's not a "chemical" any more than regular cane sugar is a chemical, it just happens to taste bitter to some people - so do Brussels sprouts. Technically I guess all foods are made up of chemicals.

See, I didn't read the label.. lol It just tasted just like aspartame so I assumed it was. I didn't like Stevia when I tried it either, it was more bitter than sweet.

I suppose the correct word was bitter. I wonder if it's the same taste receptor that let you taste bitter in Stevia as the ones that let you taste it in aspartame? My spouse cannot taste the bitter in either.

It's a good question! I know they are doing research which has nailed down some specific gene variants which determine who can taste specific chemicals, so maybe someday we'll know.

Aspartame doesn't taste bitter to me, but it doesn't taste like food - it just doesn't resemble sugar enough for me to bother with it at all.

Weirdly, I can't taste bitter in stevia, EXCEPT when I put it next to fructose. Then it tastes bitter to me. I put some strawberries on chocolate Halo Top ice cream, and it was a huge mistake. Normally I like Halo Top, and I like strawberries and chocolate ice cream, but strawberries and Halo Top together tasted extremely nasty.
  • Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    dandelion leaves. they are so nutrient-dense but SO bitter.