What is a particular "health" food that you can't stand?

Options

Replies

• Treehugger_88
    Treehugger_88 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    chicken, tuna and salmon. Yuck.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Anything fermented, except sauerkraut and miso. No lacto-fermented beets, no kombucha, no tempeh. I do like all the weird vegetables when not fermented. Avocadoes are slimy and gross.
  • tunaboi
    tunaboi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    chicken, tuna and salmon. Yuck.

My faves! Hahaha
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tofu can go die in a fire. Salmon can stay in the sea.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Wheatgrass! What the hell? Smells like fresh mown lawn!

I think that's what it actually is!!

Kale - Nope, so so so many better leafy greens out there!
    Kombucha - hell no, I saw how that gets made.
    Chia seeds - Nope, the texture it makes things is just gross.

I enjoyed my green smoothie this morning, green because of kale. I enjoyed my homebrewed kombucha with dinner, and yesterday I added chia seeds to my pizza right after the sauce and before the mushrooms.

I guess I have no standards.

I did some research on that smoothie, and found that the ingredients I haphazardly added actually worked in concert to make the taste nice. It has kefir (which is fermented milk with an acidic tart taste), kale (legendary with bitter taste), and PB2. There's other stuff, but the key ingredients are these three. The fat in the kefir neutralizes the bitter from the kale, and the protein from the PB2 neutralizes the tart from the kefir.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

I enjoyed my green smoothie this morning, green because of kale. I enjoyed my homebrewed kombucha with dinner, and yesterday I added chia seeds to my pizza right after the sauce and before the mushrooms.

Who said a single thing about standards? Way to infer an insult where none existed. I'm glad you like your kale, kombucha and chia, you are more than welcome to my share.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, hands down. So dry and flavorless. I have a hard time chewing it without gagging.

Also lettuce, tomatoes, cottage cheese and plain, low fat Greek yogurt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Special K. A diabetic's nightmare with highly absorbable rice puffs, added sugar, and no fiber. And no staying power.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Wheatgrass. Kale. Spinach. Bell peppers. Every plant only protein powder I've ever tried. Stevia. Every "sugar-free" drink which originally has sugar.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I actually almost like kale, but, it's only a pretty passive like. I would probably buy collards instead except my pet tortoise and rats prefer the kale, so, kale it is. I only like collards slightly more.

Things I hate:
    baby carrots- I freakin hate baby carrots. They aren't really baby carrots, they are just reprocessed ugly carrots that would have been sold as cattle feed. If I'm going to eat a carrot, it will be a real carrot that still looks like a carrot.. lol (AND, it's not probably going to happen because they aren't that good, I'd rather eat sweet potato for the same vitamins)

oatmeal- I mean c'mon. I've tried every variation. I've tried overnight oats, I've tried steel cut oats, I've tried quick oats, I've even tried the fancy ones that come in a glass jar. It's just glop. Sure, you can add berries and stuff OR you can just eat all those delicious things separately instead of contaminating them with oatmeal. If someone told me I had to eat oatmeal, I would just eat it dry, right out of the container, still less gross.

iceberg lettuce- just no. It's everything that was wrong with the $1 McDonald's side salad. Gack.

Diet versions of anything - there is no such thing as a good diet variation of anything. My sister made me try Halo ice cream the other day and I could just taste the chemicals in it. It had a weird bitter aftertaste. Apparently, not everyone can taste that. If aspartame tastes bitter to you instead of sweet then you have the taste receptors that allow you to notice that. I would rather buy a box of those 100 calorie lil' drums and at least have a real ice cream cone even if it is kinda tiny.. lol

PS, by diet version, I mean they have switched the ingredients to either remove fat or remove sugar. I don't have any issue at all with diet versions that are just little versions of the same snack. :)

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Funny how different tastes are. I'm pretty okay with almost everything mentioned in this thread except for the things I haven't had the chance to try (kombucha and tempeh). My blood is practically 50% tomatoes and chicken breast is the only part of a chicken I'll eat, without skin no less. Lettuce is one of my favorite summer munches because it tastes so refreshing and I'm very careful not to overeat chia seeds because they're kind of calorie dense - I wish I didn't like them.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Special K. A diabetic's nightmare with highly absorbable rice puffs, added sugar, and no fiber. And no staying power.

Those marketing 'wizards' convinced a nation that Special K was a healthy thing to eat for years...craziness! (that goes for most granola, fat reduced pb, most veggie burgers, regular V-8, many protein bars, instant oatmeal packages, flavored yogurt, packaged veggie chips, the list could go on and on...)
  • Mlsuccess2018
    Mlsuccess2018 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find romaine lettuce bitter. Cant figure out why. I wash it and it is still bitter. I try using it for wraps and all it leaves is a bitter taste in my mouth. Most of the time I eat it anyway since I am trying to lose weight. I like raw spinach but not cooked. It is too slimy and gross.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I've never liked onions or bell peppers. But I try them every once in awhile because palates change. I used to not like mushrooms or sugar peas and now I do. Still a no go on the onions and peppers.
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Quinoa... boringboringboring...
  • DannielleLee89
    DannielleLee89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms! can't stand them even as a kid... instant turn off when i find out it's in my food.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Who said a single thing about standards? Way to infer an insult where none existed. I'm glad you like your kale, kombucha and chia, you are more than welcome to my share.

I wasn't inferring an insult. I was amused that one's trash is another's treasure.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I find romaine lettuce bitter. Cant figure out why. I wash it and it is still bitter. I try using it for wraps and all it leaves is a bitter taste in my mouth. Most of the time I eat it anyway since I am trying to lose weight. I like raw spinach but not cooked. It is too slimy and gross.

Try using bibb lettuce for your wraps. It's less bitter than romaine.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Definitely beets.
    Eating beets tastes almost exactly like dragging your tongue in the dirt.
  • Taryan23
    Taryan23 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes is def a no no for me