Cutting Sugar From my Diet entirely

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an oncologist with that persons file in front of you, you should not be providing "advice"

So much this.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ETA:
    "Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS is a certified doctor of natural medicine, doctor of chiropractic and clinical nutritionist with a passion to help people get healthy by using food as medicine."

https://draxe.com/about-dr-josh-axe/

In other words, another quack with books/products to sell. A naturopath isn't an MD, and a clinical nutritionist isn't a registered dietician. And anybody who claims that a ketogenic diet can cure cancer is a quack of the highest order IMO.

I wouldn't go to a podiatrist for a vasectomy, and I wouldn't go to a chiropractor for diet advice. Especially a chiropractor who's also a naturopath making unsubstantiated claims about how diets relate to your health.

ETA: Here's a bit of what actual, real science (not naturopathic/chiropractic woo) has to say about the role of keto diets in cancer treatment:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28353094?dopt=Abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28366810

Hey come on man, Dr Axe has appeared on the Dr Oz Show, what more do you want?

LOL. Two peas in a pod.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    saheel97 wrote: »
    I'm considering cutting sugar completely out from my diet. For the past three weeks that I've been dieting, I've cut down a ton because I'm no longer drinking fraps and other junk *kitten* every day and it hasn't felt like that much of a burden. Has anyone else gone sugar-free entirely? What effects have you noticed? The only thing now I feel like would affect me is the fact that I would have to cut fruits out which is rather disappointing.

why would you cut out fruits? That's healthy sugar and you aren't likely to overeat on it to the point of gaining a lot of weight like you would with cake or ice cream if you ate it all the time. Look at the calories as well.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, to go completely sugar free you will have to cut slot more foods than sweets and fruit.
    I don't think it's realistic and necessary. I cut sweets as in cake and candy, not as much because of the sugar, but because these items tend to be too calorie packed for the nutritional value they have. But also, I just had cake yesterday. Anything too extreme doesn't work long term.

This.

I find it easier to just cut back on dessert type items that I tend to waste a lot of calories on.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    WOW! Lots of comments! I'll just share my experience of going very low carb. It works for me but I'm sure this doesn't work for everyone.

Starting weight 282 on Feb 15, 2017. Blood tests showed multiple elevated levels associated with pre-diabetes. I was also suffering from joint and foot pain (Plantar F.) which was impacting my ability to exercise. Basically I was suffering from inflammation. My Cholesterol was also very high.

Today is June 1. I weighed 250 yesterday. I have gone very low carb.(45% Fat, 45% Protein, 10% non sugar carbs) The 1st 2 weeks were tough but then the cravings for sugar decreased and are now gone. I don't eat corn, potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc. I do eat vegetables (but not enough and will work to increase fiborous green vegetables as they are very low glycemic and of course healthy). I do drink as much water as I can and I add fiber to at least 2 of my glasses of water everyday to stay regular. I workout 5 to 6 times a week. 4x cardio and 2x weight lifting. The pain in my feet went away on day 4 of the diet and my knees felt better by day 6 (ie. my inflammation went down). I had a follow up blood test 2 weeks ago and all the diabetes markers were back down into normal. Cholesterol was better but still too high. But my doctor was SUPER happy with the weight loss and told me to keep focused on that and we can work on the Cholesterol levels as I reach my goal weight.

I'm approaching my half way mark in terms of weight loss. I'll start to increase the carbs when I'm within 75% of my goal weight BUT I'm going to stay away from the high glycemic carbs and stick to good carbs like green vegetables.

This is the 3rd time I've followed this routine and for me it works. My issue is I have a hard time eating a balanced diet especially when I'm under stress. But I'll continue to work on decreasing the bad fats, eating better fats and lean protein (more fish) and increasing vegetables. I've come to the realization I'm not able to introduce certain carbs in my diet without triggering my unhealthy cravings. Hope this helps you!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    7 pages and nothing additional from the op.

Hmmm.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Hmmm.....

I was just about to ask if OP ever came back ...
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

Hmmm.....

I was just about to ask if OP ever came back ...

adherence is pretty low when you cut things out. Not surprised he's not been back.
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cutting out added sugar is a great idea, but that doesn't mean you have to cut out fruit, just work on getting the sugar added to processed foods cut down and that will improve your health.
  • edwardlewis5642
    edwardlewis5642 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to this and do not want to start any arguments. I am type 2 diabetic male 36 years old. I want to cut out sugar, eat about 15% protein 40% carbs and 45% fat. I aim to do this with a meal replacement shake for breakfast, meat and salad lunch, fish and veg for dinner and berries and apples snacks. Cream instead of milk in cooking and avoid veg like parsnips and fruit like oranges. Cutting out alcohol is big for me . I was drinking 3 pints of lager a night. My ideas have come from Diabetes Cookbook by Vickie De Beer and Kath Megaw. I also have I quit Sugar books by Sarah Wilson, reading really helps me. Thank you!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to this and do not want to start any arguments. I am type 2 diabetic male 36 years old. I want to cut out sugar, eat about 15% protein 40% carbs and 45% fat. I aim to do this with a meal replacement shake for breakfast, meat and salad lunch, fish and veg for dinner and berries and apples snacks. Cream instead of milk in cooking and avoid veg like parsnips and fruit like oranges. Cutting out alcohol is big for me . I was drinking 3 pints of lager a night. My ideas have come from Diabetes Cookbook by Vickie De Beer and Kath Megaw. I also have I quit Sugar books by Sarah Wilson, reading really helps me. Thank you!

Play around with your macros to find out what satisfies you the most. I am also T2Dm and I settled on 35% protein, 35% carbs, and 30% fat. I was able to reduce my glucose numbers to the point where I was off medication within 6 months of diagnosis and my A1C has stayed around 5.0-5.3 ever since. I do not limit sugars, I just make sure my total carbs are no more than 160 grams per day which is the number my Dr. (a Certified Diabetic Educator) recommended.

Each person is different and each person needs to find the way that works for them to manage the disease balanced with enjoying your food. You have a starting point but don't be afraid to tweak it if it isn't ideal for you.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Dietary changes for cancer treatment would be an interesting topic for the debate section...

No, it really wouldn't...

Dietary changes for cancer treatment would be an interesting topic for the debate section...

Agreed.
    cmtigger wrote: »

No- that should only be between a medical doctor and a patient.

No, it really wouldn't. Actually, any "food as medicine" subject is best left between someone and their doctor. Any other discussion devolves into something that has overtones caught between the fervency of belief on one hand and the ugliness of victim blaming on the other and is best left never having happened.
    The fact that people will even mention cancer and food as treatment concerns me.

Unless you're an oncologist with that persons file in front of you, you should not be providing "advice"

Every case in very different and not eating fruit is never the treatment.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So much this.

Huh. These responses really surprised me. I would think people would want to be aware of possible dietary measures that they could take to help beat, or avoid, cancer. Try to improve your odds of a good recovery. Doctors don't know it all and they are often unable to suggest things that may help if it has not been officially approved. I think completely trusting your doctor with your life can be risky. People often benefit by taking some responsibility for their health.

I have a very treatable cancer right now but I still went searching for possible lifestyle changes that I could implement to help myself - get a bit of an advantage. Something to supplement treatment and make recurrence less likely. That included diet.

I don't mean to try radically dangerous diets, or trying things your doctor specifically said no to. Dietary treatments would compliment other treatments.

Each to their own.

I'm sorry to hear you have cancer.

Surely, being in that position, you can understand that not all cancer is the same.

I'm going to try to tread kindly here, but frankly, I find your post here offensive. Assuming that because people don't want to have this discussion that they are just blind sheeple is quite the leap of logic.

Each case is individual and every person has to deal with their own disease in their own way, researching dietary and lifestyle changes and discussing them with their doctor on their own with the particular type of cancer they have factoring into their ultimate choices/options.

The debate forum isn't the place to discuss this. It's all too individuals depending on what's going on with each person who might be facing a cancer diagnosis to get into, and having a discussion about it would really be pointless.
    kimny72 wrote: »

Agreed.

No, it really wouldn't. Actually, any "food as medicine" subject is best left between someone and their doctor. Any other discussion devolves into something that has overtones caught between the fervency of belief on one hand and the ugliness of victim blaming on the other and is best left never having happened.
    The fact that people will even mention cancer and food as treatment concerns me.

So much this.

Huh. These responses really surprised me. I would think people would want to be aware of possible dietary measures that they could take to help beat, or avoid, cancer. Try to improve your odds of a good recovery. Doctors don't know it all and they are often unable to suggest things that may help if it has not been officially approved. I think completely trusting your doctor with your life can be risky. People often benefit by taking some responsibility for their health.

I have a very treatable cancer right now but I still went searching for possible lifestyle changes that I could implement to help myself - get a bit of an advantage. Something to supplement treatment and make recurrence less likely. That included diet.

I don't mean to try radically dangerous diets, or trying things your doctor specifically said no to. Dietary treatments would compliment other treatments.

Each to their own.

I'm sorry to hear you have cancer.

Surely, being in that position, you can understand that not all cancer is the same.

I'm going to try to tread kindly here, but frankly, I find your post here offensive. Assuming that because people don't want to have this discussion that they are just blind sheeple is quite the leap of logic.

Each case is individual and every person has to deal with their own disease in their own way, researching dietary and lifestyle changes and discussing them with their doctor on their own with the particular type of cancer they have factoring into their ultimate choices/options.

The debate forum isn't the place to discuss this. It's all too individuals depending on what's going on with each person who might be facing a cancer diagnosis to get into, and having a discussion about it would really be pointless.

I would agree. I also cringe a little at the suggestion that doctors know there are diet changes you can make to fight cancer, but "are unable to suggest it" because it's not the official protocol. Oncologists live and die with their patients, and many have non-patient family and friends who battle cancer, and the idea that they are keeping secrets that could prolong or save lives is absurd. Besides, many doctors discuss or prescribe off-label treatment options. If there was any reasonable proof that eliminating sugar or carbs could aid the fight against cancer, many doctors would be suggesting it at the least.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Agreed.

So much this.

Each to their own.

I'm sorry to hear that you have cancer, and certainly support your doing research, challenging your medical team if that's needful, and adopting complementary therapies as you see fit.

Even so, speaking as a (stage III) cancer survivor myself, I wouldn't encourage this as a discussion topic on MFP. Yes, some valid and useful information might come out. But it would be a tiny light mired in a vast swamp of prejudice​, pseudo-science, speculation by ignorant amateurs, and worse.

It's bad enough seeing folks misled here about diet and exercise. Up the stakes to truly life-threatening diseases that are not the main subject matter of this site - so that there are few authoritative speakers to help sort things out?

Just no.

I'm not starting this discussion in the debate section. I tend to find my health informaion elsewhere, but I though it might be interesting as a topic to discuss. People could hear others idea and maybe find an idea that helps - especially those who do not choose to look into treatment themselves, and many don't. Not that I would call them "sheeple". That's quite a leap too. Many people do not research how to improve their health. My guess is most do not. And I am sure many people are not aware of the differing treatment options available.

And I at no time said that going low carb is "the" treatment option. I said dietary changes may help treatment. Those changes will be dependent on a person's situation.

I saw a quote the other day. It was something along the lines of 'knowledge is not power, power is what you do with that knowledge." I would hope that people do not blindly follow whatever they see on the internet. Avoiding discussion because of that worry seems wrong to me. JMO

Anyway, bowing out here. Not starting a discussion on possible dietary improvements when dealing with cancer.