Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    I believe diet drinks are the very devil and cause more harm than good.

That Paleo is an excellent way to eat but it's not truly what Paleolithic humans would have eaten.

Many fruit and veggies now lack decent levels of nutrients due to overfarming and leaching of soils therefore supplements are vital for long term good health.

And that diet pills, hypnotherapy, acupuncture, weighty loss surgery are as "natural" as any other weight loss method and NOT cheating if it achieves the end result, just as a smoker using g nicotine patches is not cheating.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    I've got a laundry list of unpopular opinion puffins. I think:
    1. people who "run for the health" are stupid
    2. there's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners
    3. there's nothing wrong with sugar, either
    4. superfoods are a *kitten* marketing term
    5. organics aren't better for you
    6. supplements mostly suck
    7. barring documented medical need no one needs vitamins of any kind
    8. BMI is a crock of *kitten* at the individual level
    9. "no pain no gain" is a idiotic fitness meme
    10. there's no reason why more healthy food has to be less flavorful than crappy food
    11. eating better food costs less, not more
    12. alcohol is a treat item, not a daily indulgence
    13. a proper salad is a thing of beauty, and delicious
    14. you have to squat
    15. weight loss surgery is a medical intervention for a mental disease

HFCS is not sugar, and there's not yet enough data to be certain it's as safe as sugar.
  • 826_Midazaslam
    826_Midazaslam Posts: 67 Member
    Blaming your metabolism is such a cop-out.

Nothing drives me crazier than someone telling me they can't lose ANY weight because their metabolism is too slow. It's simple, CICO. Yes there are cellular differences in how your body metabolizes things, but at the end of the day, if you burn 2000 calories and only put in 1500, you're going to lose weight. Your metabolism is not some magical thing that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you obviously haven't hit menopause yet.

Menopause or not, you still will lose weight if you eat 1500 calories, and burn 2000 calories.

Perhaps. You will lose fat. But not necessarily weight. Menopause plays all kinds of fun games with your hormones.

You sure as hell ain't going to gain muscle. Perhaps retaining fluid that would make it seem like you aren't losing. I promise you, if you're losing fat, you're losing weight. Unless your bones start abnormally growing or something. There's only so many substances you can lose/gain in your body.
This discussion has been closed.