What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• BrutalMeHonest
    BrutalMeHonest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Cleanse, Detox, Natural, Organic, Non-gmo, like. Ugh. Just stop.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    "I eat 800 calories a day and I am gaining weight. I must be in starvation mode." or "Don't eat below 1200 calories or your body will hold on to everything you eat and gain weight."

ha. same here. as someone who eats below 1200 calories, seeing someone talk about 'starvation mode' (what IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE?) or tell me I'm going to die or gain weight is a just funny.

Ugh, just ugh.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "pigging out" when referring to self. It's so self hating.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    When people confuse CICO with strictly calorie counting. It's 2 parts! Calories you eat and what you burn. Even if you do not exercise you still burn calories being alive. It's an important part that many it seems fail to get. I guess it's because it's not something you need to worry about daily with an app that calculates things for you. Might be splitting hairs but man it bugs me.
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people get so butthurt when someone corrects loose to lose. Are we so delicate as a society that is better to be allowed to be wrong than be corrected and learn? I'd rather learn of a misspelling on MFP than after i put the wrong word in a presentation at work....

This ^^^^^^ If I'm using a word incorrectly I'd like to know about it so I make sure my message is clear.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    -low-carb/keto
    -cleanse
    -detox
    -Isagenix/Beachbody/(insert MLM scam here)
    -paleo/paleo-inspired
  • LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.

It is. Atonic literally means 'lacking muscular tone.' So tone is technically fine to say.

However, when someone says they want to 'tone up' I still always picture this:
    jovpf0g7ojde.gif

Thanks! Maybe there are certain negative connotations that you only have as a native speaker. But there have been a couple of people here in this thread that are bothered by someone saying muscle tone or getting toned. Then they seem to be wrong, not the people who say that.
  • cid_mar
    cid_mar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    "I eat 800 calories a day and I am gaining weight. I must be in starvation mode." or "Don't eat below 1200 calories or your body will hold on to everything you eat and gain weight."

Ugh. The dreaded phrase "starvation mode." Shudder.
  • cid_mar
    cid_mar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "toning" ("I don't want to build any muscles, I just want to tone them")
    "starvation mode"
    "loose" weight
    and the worst - something like this: "I've gained 5 lbs this week, but I know not to worry because it's all muscle"

All of the above. And I really hate "loose" weight and "loosing" weight. No one can spell lose and losing anymore. :/