What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• LovesDogsAndBooks
    LovesDogsAndBooks Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    English is not my first language, so I don't get what's wrong with talking about "muscle tone" or "being toned"? Just had a quick glance at Wikipedia, and the word seems related to muscle.

It is. Atonic literally means 'lacking muscular tone.' So tone is technically fine to say.

However, when someone says they want to 'tone up' I still always picture this:
    jovpf0g7ojde.gif

Thanks! Maybe there are certain negative connotations that you only have as a native speaker. But there have been a couple of people here in this thread that are bothered by someone saying muscle tone or getting toned. Then they seem to be wrong, not the people who say that.

Muscle tone is a real thing that relates to how muscles respond to pressure. It has *nothing* to do with what people actually mean when they say they want to "tone up". When people say they want to "tone up", it means they want to look thinner/leaner/firmer. Which means they want to lose fat. (They may think that they want to "lengthen" their muscles, but that's impossible without surgery. And completely unrelated to muscle tone.)

e.g. Many women will claim they want to do yoga or pilates to "tone up". Yoga is a wonderful activity, but people with a lot of muscle tone have their muscles resist pressure/stress enough that they tend to be bad at yoga because they're not flexible enough. So, doing yoga to improve muscle tone (using the real definition) would be counterproductive. Instead, do it to improve strength and flexibility.

Basically, marketing forces in the fitness industry decided it would be a good idea to steal a word that actually relates to muscles and completely redefine it while spewing out a bunch of misinformation to sell their product. And, in some circles, the new definition stuck.

Thanks for that explanation!
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ok. I have a new one: white bean extract.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    If u type lik dis on da forums... I want to strangle you and/or beat you to death.
    @Morgaen73 Loose/lose! Ugh! I absolutely give a pass to ESL folks for that, but when your bio says you're from Indiana... All I can think is, "How do you not know this?!"

@Heather4448 lol I get what you are saying. Luckely I'm not from Indiana :P We have 11 official languages.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    ....made me feel stabby

Now this phrase --- I love it!! :D

.....when my BF told me that I shouldn't lift heavy weights because I will become bulky, and then proceeded to tell me that I should lift smaller weights more. When I explained to him that I don't have the correct genes to get hella bulky on my own, he continued to insist that I should work out like Jackie Chan because he's so "toned" and who doesn't want to be "toned"?

The funeral was beautiful, and he will be sorely missed.

I got a good chuckle.
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

Any mention of "good food", "bad food", "clean food" or the such - what did your pizza beat you up? Did you scrub your banana in soapy water?

"Paleo", "meal replacement shake" (it's just a shake) or "a calorie is a calorie".

Hearing anyone claim that their diet/exercise regime is superior to all others, or claiming that their way is the only way, or the healthiest way, or that they are better than anyone else because they do things a certain way.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Tone/toned - What other word would you used for a person wanting to not be saggy-baggy? I suppose there's "firm" but why is that somehow less annoying than "tone"?

I want to be toned, firm, and/or built like a brick shithouse.

Quick detour.
    Some phrases just takes me back to my childhood.
    I was the brick shithouse to my 2 petite sisters.
    We also had one. Hell using it in winter.

Cheers, h.

haha....awesome! B)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    It drives me nuts when people correct someone for saying "muscle weighs more than fat", nitpicking semantics... we understood what they meant.
    We may understand what they think they meant, but the general public clearly does not.

Watch the shocked look on the average person's face when you show them a specific volume of fat and muscle (such as from beef or pork) and then try to guess which weighs more.

The average person cannot correctly answer me when I ask which would hit the ground first if you dropped a bowling ball, a banana, a golf ball and a baseball off of a second story building.
    That is, not without a Google search first...

Start educating people to use words properly and they might learn something.
    Ignorance of proper diet and exercise requirements are only part of the reason most people are overweight but it is one of the easiest things to correct.

Developing the discipline to do what is necessary for improving one's diet and "fitness" is much harder.

Setting expectations for weight loss, body image, etc. based on facts instead of what they "think" is true and ultimately "want" to be true can go a long way towards preventing early disappointment and disillusionment.

You are my favourite MFPer for the day, because the bolded is almost exactly the example I use when someone asks me to trust the general public's "common sense".
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I suppose it isn't exclusive to weight loss but goes hand in hand - detoxing and misuse of the word "natural" drives me nuts.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    "I'm on a diet"
    "You can't eat that, you're on a diet"
    :sick:
  • Nicholas_39
    Nicholas_39 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode"

Also when people claim cardio is bad for aesthetics so you should be doing weight lifting instead.