What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    2 more: when people use absolutes because they lost 20 lbs and they are now a weight loss expert. "You need to eat more." "You're eating too much carbs." "That's not sustainable." As if they KNOW.

Also, I know a few people who think their weight is effected by silly things. Like if they drink a glass of water before bed, they lose weight. Or if they eat a pickle with lunch, they always gain weight.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    "There is a lot of research that shows" or "there are studies that show" when links to or titles of said research/studies are not provided.

It remains a mild irritation until someone claims that the woo they're spouting can significantly improve a major life condition. That's what gets me het up.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating." UGH.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Way too many. Trying to lose weight (and loose weight, even), intermittent fasting. Not so much journeys, as tracks, horses and wagons (even bandwagons). The last X pounds, healthy food is expensive, healthy recipes, cheating, confusing CICO with calorie counting, motivation, willpower, foods to make you feel full, healthy snacks. I'm not full of hate, but I'm bitter and enthusiastic - because believing in these kinds of myths and confusion made it impossible for me to reach my goals, and exposing them to daylight made it virtually effortless. I don't want others to go through the same as me, but I can't do anything to stop a person who has made up their mind, and that makes me frustrated. I usually burn out after a few years, so I hope I some day can just roll my eyes :p

How is IF a myth?
    IF is confusion, and the confusion is mythical. IF just not eating all the time, which can be good for adherance for those who prefer it. But lots of people are already not eating all the time, and thriving, without calling it IF. IF is sourrounded with ideas that you burn more fat by not eating, that it makes you live longer, that it is "skipping breakfast", but just skipping breakfast won't have the same effect (you have to call it IF), that certain foods and drinks magically breaks your fast, or not, and that it has any special meaning, which it has not, and that you have to eat a certain number of meals, which you don't.

I don't believe any of those things you say about IF, except maybe that you might live longer, but it's completely unfair to describe IF as a myth, just because some myths may have grown up around it. I say "may" because, to be honest, your post is the first time I've ever heard about half of those myths. IF works for weight loss because all you have to remember is to eat no more than a single light meal, 2 days a week. It is easy to understand and stick to. And despite you labelling it as a myth, there is evidence that it has beneficial effects on the body's workings that go beyond weight loss, which makes it seem likely that it could increase longevity.

I ditched it when I started exercising daily, as I hated exercising fasted knowing that I couldn't refuel afterwards. But it works, and has a growing body of evidence to support it. It is not a myth.
  • rightoncommander
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "Toning"
    "Muscle weighs more than fat"
    Ugh just thinking about this makes me angry.

People who deny that muscle weights more than fat really get my goat. OK, let's go for a run, you carry a gallon of muscle and I'll carry a gallon of fat. Let's see which one of us drops first!

I'm not denying that it is often said in a way that is unhelpful or that demonstrates ignorance, but it is a scientific fact.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You are my favourite MFPer for the day, because the bolded is almost exactly the example I use when someone asks me to trust the general public's "common sense".
    Yay!! This is almost like having friends!

{I would imagine...} ;)

Maybe someday you'll have a few :tongue:
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    "There is a lot of research that shows" or "there are studies that show" when links to or titles of said research/studies are not provided.

It remains a mild irritation until someone claims that the woo they're spouting can significantly improve a major life condition. That's what gets me het up.

I'm confused, do you object when people "spout woo" and claim that it's backed up by research, or do you insist that every post on MFP that mentions research should have a bibliography and be peer-reviewed?!
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    You are my favourite MFPer for the day, because the bolded is almost exactly the example I use when someone asks me to trust the general public's "common sense".
    Yay!! This is almost like having friends!

{I would imagine...} ;)

Maybe someday you'll have a few :tongue:
    I have learned to keep my expectations low. B)
  • cqbkaju
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I have a couple thoughts about why people won't tell you. 1) They have done it in an unhealthy or less accepted way, and they don't want to be judged for it. 2) They have done it through something like calorie counting and have found that when they tell people their eyes will glaze over and be given a bunch of excuses, so feel it isn't worth the time and effort. 3) They have an illness that they don't wish to discuss.
    I was thinking the same thing.

People get different reactions based on the methodologies used.

Saying you had surgery instead of doing the work earns you less respect from me, but at least you admitted that you had surgery instead of acting like you worked as hard as everyone else.

• cqbkaju
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    In future I will simply say "Due to the difference in density, the volume of muscle required to achieve a specific weight is much less than the volume of fat required to achieve the same weight and therefore when your body loses volume while retaining it's weight it is likely that your muscle volume has increased proportionality in relation to a decrease in fat volume".

I think the general public will get that.
    They should, presuming they are above a 5th grade English reading level.
    It isn't like you intentionally used any words that are complicated.
    Maybe having less of a run-on sentence could help people who would otherwise lose the thread.

The point is pandering to the stupidity and/or ignorance of people is not helping, obviously.
    If it was helping then why are so many people overweight?

ESL may be a different story.
    Non-native English speakers could always look it up in their native tongue(s) if comprehension is a problem.