What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• suhashmi
    suhashmi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Low carb
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    "It's not a diet it's a lifestyle change" :| I wonder if in a few years people will be saying "no dessert for me, I'm lifestyling"

But it IS a lifestyle change. Going from sitting in front of the TV and eating Dairy Queen 3x a week to taking evening walks and cooking healthy food and actually paying attention to your diet (noun, not verb) while avoiding 1300 calorie desserts you freaking LOVE - takes a considerable change in your actual lifestyle - believe me. And if you go back to your former lifestyle, you gain it back.

Yes!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    proshanto wrote: »
    When the Doc says "Good luck with the diet!". Makes me wanna throttle him.

I can't even baby-feline imagine how much doctors get tiny-kitty tired of giving weight-loss info to people who swear to lose, and instead come back in 6 months just as fat or fatter, with a boatload of lame rationalizations/excuses. How docs can even remotely remain polite and professional - this escapes me.

This is one reason my A&P professor quit practicing on live people and became a forensic pathologist. LOL
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    "There is a lot of research that shows" or "there are studies that show" when links to or titles of said research/studies are not provided.

It remains a mild irritation until someone claims that the woo they're spouting can significantly improve a major life condition. That's what gets me het up.

I'm confused, do you object when people "spout woo" and claim that it's backed up by research, or do you insist that every post on MFP that mentions research should have a bibliography and be peer-reviewed?!

I rarely (if ever) object or insist in either case. However, if you're going to bother to claim that your point is supported by research, it takes less than a minute to open a new tab or window and use your search engine to find a link to a peer-reviewed article or five. If we ALL made the attempt to provide the research we're claiming, we'd all be better informed.

Saying that only woo-spouting posts should have research would be foolish and ineffective, because
    nobody ever thinks that the ideas they're spouting are wooey.
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Every time I see a thread titled "can't eat enough calories, please help". Are you *kitten* kidding me? The sole reason you're on here is because you managed to eat more than enough for an extended period of time to get fat in the first place, makes me rage.
    I'm not on here for that reason at all. I eat to gain muscle mass and fuel my workouts.
    Eating enough calories in a day is often an issue for me because I have to schedule extra food around coaching, working, teaching, lifting, etc...
    /First_World_Problem

But I understand your point with most {overweight} people.

Depends what the previous commenter meant by 'here.' This IS the "General Diet and Weight LOSS Help" forum ;)
    mlinci wrote: »
    - this one is slightly irrational on my part, but I find it incredibly frustrating: it irritates me that as a 5'5, 139 lbs woman aged 41, I need to consistently walk about 11,000 steps a day to bring my calorie expenditure just to 2,000 or so calories. I am intensely jealous of taller, heavier and more muscular people who can eat more and not gain weight. Because I love eating. I also want to scream when older shorter women mention their total daily calorie expenditure is 1,500, just because of the sheer injustice of it.

I don't think it's irrational at all to find that frustrating. Someone taller can eat more, move less, and still maintain - or even lose. So it's not equal, and that inequality does not seem to be in your favor. Frustration is a 100% valid response.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm on a diet as opposed to it's a lifestyle change. Diets don't work in the long run -
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    [quote= "I've gained 5 lbs this week, but I know not to worry because it's all muscle"
    [/quote]

hahaha - I only WISH it was that easy to gain 5 lbs of muscle!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just remembered one that does annoy me, irrationally so. I don't know why, but I don't like "for you", as in "good for you" or "bad for you" and such. Logically, I know what people are saying but it just grinds my nerves.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" (and what people think it means)

I just saw my trigger in another thread. It's not a word so much as the mythological way it's applied to "I'm not losing weight, but I'm in deficit. Is it Starvation Mode?" The answer is NO. It will always be NO.

Or the new person posting for the first time, telling someone the reason they aren't losing is because they are in "starvation mode" and their body is trying to hang on to the fat.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Loose/lose just makes me laugh. I have this visual image of someone gratefully or even prayerfully loosing all their fat out into the universe, where it settles on some poor unsuspecting soul, who must then either loose it again into the ether or just accept the gift that the universe gave them. Kinda like the old cartoons of the babies waiting in heaven for the storks to drop them into the houses below.
    So that's how I got fat!11111
    :laugh:

I imagine adipose from Doctor Who. :)

They are my friends!