What terms/phrases wind you up about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I will admit that my viewpoint on this has changed over the years, I would have agreed with you at some point in the past. When I used the phrase "less accepted way" in the post you quoted I was thinking of surgery, primarily because it is often seen as the easy way out. I feel a bit differently about surgery, simply because I have spoken to several people about why they have chosen it. For many, it comes from a place of fear for their life and desperation. It also can have significant long-term effects throughout their life, so it certainly isn't an easy way out.
    I understand your point of view and freely admit that I can be judgemental of people that opt for surgery over hard work in this case.

The reasoning is that even if they elect surgery out of fear, desperation or any other number of factors, the reality is that they took the "easy way" for years to reach that point. By ignoring all of the opportunities to improve their diet and get sufficient exercise up until then they put themselves in that situation.

Again, I admit it is judgmental and definitely not "PC" but I know several people who lost lots of weight following surgeries who then put most -if not all- of the weight back in in a few years.
    They never corrected the behaviors that put them in that state in the first place.

I have been told that the surgical procedures have changed and now it is harder (or even impossible) to put the weight back on but that means they are still relying on the surgery to do the work for them.
    "Easy way out" doesn't mean it isn't scary or that there are not risks.

I am judging them, I judge all sorts of people every day for all sorts of reasons. I'm just honest about it...
    No, I'm not a nice person. But I try very hard to be a good one.

It's a very complicated subject matter, and one where there will always be a variety of opinions. I agree that there are underlying concerns (often psychological issues) that must be addressed for long-term success, I also believe that if it can be done without surgery that would be preferable, if only to avoid the possible complications. I still don't see it as an easy way out. We will have to agree to disagree there. Perhaps this belongs in the "unpopular opinions" thread? :laugh:
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Every time I see a thread titled "can't eat enough calories, please help". Are you *kitten* kidding me? The sole reason you're on here is because you managed to eat more than enough for an extended period of time to get fat in the first place, makes me rage.
    I'm not on here for that reason at all. I eat to gain muscle mass and fuel my workouts.
    Eating enough calories in a day is often an issue for me because I have to schedule extra food around coaching, working, teaching, lifting, etc...
    /First_World_Problem

But I understand your point with most {overweight} people.

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Add me to the long list of people who hate the "my journey" expression. But mainly because I see it most from people who are trying to sell over-priced MLM junk.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When people lose weight and than refuse to tell you how they did it. Like, why are you keeping the secret. That's so mean. Don't you want other people to feel good too?
    I'm not keeping it a secret, I'm just annoyed with explaining it to person after person. It gets tiresome.
  • ashjongfit
    ashjongfit Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    One thing that annoys me.

People who are trying to lose saying they can't eat more than 1000 calories a day since they started their diet 2 months ago. Really? You weigh 300 pounds and you don't know how to eat a bit MORE.

I started at 360+ lbs the very first time, I was doing 1200 calories a day (I cry thinking about the food I could have easily had) but honestly, after a few weeks, no. I was VERY full on 1200 calories a day. I wasn't working out, nor moving much and 1200 calories was easily enough. As I lost weight and I started to workout 1200 calories wasn't hardly enough.

Just saying.
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just bloated! !
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    "The most accurate time to weigh yourself is _______"

As if you can time your fluctuations....or if somehow the scale is more accurate at a certain time.

I know I get a lot of resistance on this one....there is no "consistency" in that; there are simply too many variables....
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    TONE!!
    and "I don't wanna get too bulky."
    :grumble:

eeww!
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    "Muscle weighs more than fat."

Also when you go to eat something unhealthy and people start "don't ruin your diet", "aren't you on a diet", "how can you eat that on a diet". Ummm worry about yourself, howbowdah.

I cannot take it, it makes me want to scream every time.
  • proshanto
    proshanto Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When the Doc says "Good luck with the diet!". Makes me wanna throttle him.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    When overweight people try to sell me this amazing ~whatever~ to help me lose weight and be skinny.

If it worked as well as you're trying to tell me, you would be skinny.

THIS. I had a guy try to sell me ketones at the farmer's market the other day. He was twice my size.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "journey" in the same way I hate when someone says, "the moon must be full." ummm... you do know that the moon is "always full" right????