Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,870 Member
    Options
    I am very depressed lately and eating everything I want. Why must wt loss require such a conscious focused effort? I know the scientic/evolutionary answer but it seems to me, either way I still end up dead. Get too skinny, starve to death. Get too fat, callopse from a heart attack.
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am very depressed lately and eating everything I want. Why must wt loss require such a conscious focused effort? I know the scientic/evolutionary answer but it seems to me, either way I still end up dead. Get too skinny, starve to death. Get too fat, callopse from a heart attack.

Rachel, have you been diagnosed with depression? Are you taking medication or getting any help from therapist/doctor? If not maybe it would be a good place to start. Loosing weight is hard by itself but the struggle is even harder when you have to battle your own mind just to get up every morning. I was depressed for a long time before I got help. I was very reticent about taking anti-depressants but it's the best thing I could have done.

Please don't give up on yourself. You said it yourself: you are worth it! Please feel free to PM if you need to talk.

• happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @MermaidPrincessRach - I agree with @sand86802 , sometimes we need to talk to someone. I know seeing a therapist has like a stigma but I think it's great ... even if you are not depressed. When I was in my early 20s I was diagnosed with depression and I had to be medicated ... I don't think I would have achieved all I did if I had not taken that step towards my mental health. Is it completely gone? It will always be there somehow, but I have learnt to deal with it and now I don't need the meds anymore.

This weight loss journey is not just what you eat and if you move, you need to be good to yourself mentally to be able to tackle the weight battle, if not gets even harder. We all have good and bad days of course, but we need to have the strength to keep focused on getting healthier and if we messed up one day, to go back the next ... it's not about starving yourself to be skinny, it's about being healthy (at least this is how I see it) - and that weight might be far from skinny, it's where you feel comfortable with yourself.

Take care and take it easy .... don't stress, one day at the time; you will do great! we are here if you need to chat :smile:
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen this thread I'm the "Success Stories" section yet? Just amazing. Thought maybe we could all use a bit of Monday motivation/hopefulness.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10558376/230-pounds-in-23-months-no-weight-loss-surgery-30-f-53

I'm pasting below the list of her "lessons learned" that accompanies the thread I linked to because I think it's a helpful read. (I struggle with #4, always have. And so what @MermaidPrincessRach posted earlier about being frustrated with the extremes of seemingly either starving oneself or overeating definitely resonated with me). I bet we could all write our own lists of "lessons" we're in the process of learning (or have learned) as well.
    http://emilyfit.com/photos/5lessons.jpgw9zza8t1pphz.png
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @mermaidprincessrach I can't really help but I want to support you . I am so sorry you are feeling so frustrated and deperessed. We are here if you want to talk.
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    OMG the wrestling with the mind is absolute craziness sometimes.

This morning i did BOGO breakfast sandwiches from McDs because i simply didnt have time to prep breakfast (i worked 3 jobs sunday and walked dogs before passing out to sleep a few hours before getting up to work today-so legitimate excuse ;) ) I managed to eat just 1 and stay in my meal calorie range. But the 2nd one just kept beckoning....finally managed to get it into the fridge for another meal later today/tomorrow.

Then I had a leftover meal ready for lunch today (homemade sweet n sour pork and veggies)...and all i could keep thinking all morning was which restaurant was i going to for lunch :/ Took the time to down 2 glasses of water first and convince myself my lunch was delicious and go ahead and eat it!

Wow. The struggle is real!

I best get on making up some meals in advance for this week and get that yogurt bought for those grab n go breakfast situations....I find once i have fast food...it is so hard to say no to more. :o

On a good note i did over 15500 steps yesterday and 13700 on Saturday. So getting my step counts higher and higher.
  • RunningOnWontons
    Options
    OMG the wrestling with the mind is absolute craziness sometimes.

This morning i did BOGO breakfast sandwiches from McDs because i simply didnt have time to prep breakfast (i worked 3 jobs sunday and walked dogs before passing out to sleep a few hours before getting up to work today-so legitimate excuse ;) ) I managed to eat just 1 and stay in my meal calorie range. But the 2nd one just kept beckoning....finally managed to get it into the fridge for another meal later today/tomorrow.

Then I had a leftover meal ready for lunch today (homemade sweet n sour pork and veggies)...and all i could keep thinking all morning was which restaurant was i going to for lunch :/ Took the time to down 2 glasses of water first and convince myself my lunch was delicious and go ahead and eat it!

Wow. The struggle is real!

I best get on making up some meals in advance for this week and get that yogurt bought for those grab n go breakfast situations....I find once i have fast food...it is so hard to say no to more. :o

On a good note i did over 15500 steps yesterday and 13700 on Saturday. So getting my step counts higher and higher.

Yes, haha, the struggle definitely is real! Good for you for resisting that urge to eat it all! Gosh, I know how tough that can be sometimes. I crave sodium a lot, which is why I think I have such a hard time pacing myself with fast food. I wish I knew of a solution to this besides just avoiding the food in question. Every now and then, I do stop at a burger joint for lunch...even though I know the burger in question is a bit of a calorie bomb, I pat myself on the back for not automatically ordering the fries. Small victories, right? And I enjoy every bite! But I steer clear of Burger Kings/McWhatevers when I think I'm in "overeat" mode due to stress, lack of sleep, whatever.

Yogurt is a great snack, fairly filling and low in cals. I do Greek, mostly for breakfast (which I would tend to skip otherwise). The other thing that helps me (though I'm not sure this is always the healthiest choice, as I eat this more often than I should) is canned soup. Satisfies my sodium craving (yikes, they're high in salt, so watch that) and is portion controlled and usually low-ish in calories.

Ultimately, I think embracing healthier versions of convenience foods has had a huge positive impact on my weight. Cooking is optional but...we all gotta eat, right? ;)
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am trying to go low sodium for my heart's sake. Most days if I stick to raw or home-cooked food I'm ok (under 2000 mg) but some days, forget it! And using canned foods is out - even so-called "low sodium" foods are ridiculously high in sodium per serving (anything over 150mg/serving is high, most low sodium foods are still over 3-400 mg per serving). So I am struggling to make the time to make low sodium home cooked meals from raw ingredients, but sometimes it just seems impossible! Raw beans and some other things take forever to cook, and finding ingredients in the food database that don't have sodium added in the cooking process is very hard. And some things are just in-credible - for instance, did you know that one stalk of celery (ONE) has 32 mg of sodium all by itself? And many other raw veggies seem to have sodium in them, too. It's very frustrating! And if I do manage to keep the sodium down, I cannot seem to keep the carbs and sugars under control at the same time.
    And oh boy! Don't get me started on restaurant/fast food! WOW! 1 restaurant meal can be far over 2000 mg of sodium, unless you stick to raw salads without cheese or croutons. And dressings! GRRRRR can you tell I'm frustrated???!!!!!
    Oh, and DH hates it when I spend hours cooking (or even 30 minutes), I think he feels like I'm ignoring him while I'm doing it (I am, but only because I'm busy). I can't win for losing!
    Tracy
    TX
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Sorry I've been so bad at checking in. I've been weighing myself everyday, but I just haven't gotten on the thread enough to catch up with all the posts. I ended up reading 10-12 and then I have to go before I have had a chance to update my own post. I haven't gotten on in a couple of days and suddenly I had 40+ posts to read!! Needless to say, tonight I decided to just skim through and get to my post before I have to go to bed.

My last day of school was last Wed. and then I spent a couple of nights at my parents' house. They still live in the city, so it's more convenient to stay there when I have plans in Chicago. Friday was our faculty Cubs trip and then Saturday night I went to see a local comedian at a theater one of my friends manages. Sunday I spent the morning helping my sister move some furniture.

Since coming home on Sunday, I've been busy cleaning and moving furniture in my own home b/c we are getting a new bedroom set and sofa on Thursday. I haven't had time for any scheduled workouts, but all the cleaning is definitely exercise. Today I was up and down on a step stool to take down curtains and clean my blinds, and my glutes and hammies are screaming now. :)

Food hasn't been great because of meals out and some cocktails, but I've mostly been under or close to my goal. Not sure why my weight spiked up a few pounds last week, but now it seems to be on the way back down. It was just over 200 this morning, so we'll see if that holds or goes down some for this week's weigh-in.

Name: Karen
    Height: 5' 7"

Start Weight (week of May 24): 199.8
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 193

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    5. May 24 -199.8
    6. May 31 - 202.5
    7. June 7 - 201.6
    8. June 14 -
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1 -

Weight -/+ this week: -.9
    Weight -/+ total: +1.8
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Name: Paul
    Height: 6'0"

SW: 250
    GW: <230- windsurfing weight goal

April 26: 250
    May 3: 247
    May10: 244
    May 17: 240
    May 24: 240
    May 31: 240
    June 7: 236
    June 14: 235
    June 21:
    June 28:
    July 1:

Weight +/- this week: 1
    Weight +/- total: 15
    Total loss: 109

Weird week. Frustrated at work frustrated at home. Schools out so everyone's out and about at all hours. There is no schedule so I'm fighting with routine, I love routine. Having sciatica pain too, frightening!
  • sand86802
    sand86802 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Name: Helene
    Height: 5'4

SW: 276.4
    GW: <260 (that would be my lowest weight since 2012!)

April 26: 276.4
    May 3: 275.2
    May10: 272
    May 17: 274.2
    May 24: 272.4
    May 31: 271.2
    June 7: 271.8
    June 14: 266.6
    June 21:
    June 28:
    July 1:

Weight +/- this week: -5.2
    Weight +/- total: -9.8

Well I am not sure if it is loweribg my calorie intake by 200cal/day or doubling my Metformin but whatever it.is I am finally out of this slump. Maybe I will make my goal after all.

On the not so bright side I still have no date for the scan on my foot and work is... well let's just say I almost walked out the door last night. It is taking all I have not to quit on the spot and I am not sure if I can wait another couple months.
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ready for summer 10 week challenge

Name Jo
    Age 47
    Height 161 centimetres about 5 foot 3

Start weight (week of April 19) 91kgs / 200.6 lbs
    Goal weight (Saturday July 1) 85 kgs / 187 lbs

Weigh in week of:
    April 26 91 kgs / 200.6 lbs
    May 3 197.1
    May 10 194.4
    May 17 193.5
    May 24 191.2
    May 31 192.1
    June 7 187.1
    June 14 184.2
    June 21
    June 28
    July 1

Weight +/- this week -2.9
    Weight +/- total -16.4

happy dance!
    Ps. I checked my weight on both scales.

I am so thankful for this group and this challenge, it sooo helps in lessening bad food decisions.
    I have had 5 excellent food choice days.... then today I had 2 and a half pancakes with a bit of syrup and I thought "eh, I have gone off track, might as well get a burger from the caf" BUT I came here to post and it strengthened my resolve... so zucchini and sauce is ready for lunch and i am planning chicken and salad for dinner. I can actually salvage the calories and carbs from breakfast!! yay!!

@Paul, I hope you feel better. what does one do for sciatica?
    @Helene great job on the loss.. and I just want to say I feel you about the job. When you know it is bad and you have to hang on those last months really suck :# Just hang in there (visualize that junior high poster with the kitten hanging off the branch here please because I dont know how to post photos) :smiley:

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
  • RunningOnWontons
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name: Claire
    Height: 5' 1"

Start Weight (week of April 19): 215.6
    Goal Weight (Saturday, July 1st): 200

Weigh in week of:
    1. April 26: 215.6
    2. May 3: 211.2
    3. May 10: 210.0
    4. May 17: 208.4
    5. May 24: 204.6
    6. May 31: 205.4
    7. June 7: 200.0
    8. June 14: 200.2
    9. June 21:
    10. June 28:
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1:

Weight -/+ this week: +0.2
    Weight -/+ total: -15.4

Well, I'm up a little this week! I expected it, what with being so under the weather and completely in couch potato mode last week, but still!!

I am fighting exhaustion. Maybe I'm still not 100% over being ill. All I can do is to keep logging my meals this week, and to aim to get as much exercise as I can. I am telling myself that I WILL see 199 on the scale next week, no ifs, ands, or buts! :smile:

FABULOUS LOSS, @sand86802 !!! :smiley: And great job to everyone else so far this Wednesday morning! It's gonna be a hot one here today...I need to get out for my walk a.s.a.p.!
  • dmorrical
    dmorrical Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Name: Desi
    Height: 5'5

Start Weight (week of April 19): 333
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 313

Weigh in week of:
    1. April 26 -330.6
    2. May 3 -323.8
    3. May 10 -322.6
    4. May 17 -320.8
    5. May 24 -317.6
    6. May 31 -316.8
    7. June 7 -315.6
    8. June 14 -314.8
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -

Weight -/+ this week: 0.8 lbs
    Weight -/+ total 18.2 lbs
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name: Birgit
    Height: 6'0"

SW: 193.6
    GW: between 182 &185 (which will be "healthy BMI" and maintenance range

April 26: 192.4
    May 3: 188.6
    May10: 190.6
    May 17: 192.8
    May 24: 187.8
    May 31: ?? traveling and not near scale
    June 7: 189.0
    June 14: 186.8
    June 21:
    June 28:
    July 1:

Weight +/- this week: +2.2
    Weight +/- total this Challenge: -6.8
    Total Weighloss: -118.2
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi All! This summer is starting off as a particularly enjoyable one! I hope you're all well, and if not please remember that this too shall pass!

The challenge total from last week is really impressive. Go team! :)

Name: tabletop_joe
    Height: 5'6"

Start Weight (week of April 19): 231
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 212 (admittedly ambitious, but if I fail, I still win).

1. April 26 - 234
    2. May 3 - 227
    3. May 10 - 225
    4. May 17 - 224.8
    5. May 24 - 222.8
    6. May 31 - (skip-illness in family)
    7. June 7 - 222.4
    8. June 14 - 218.6
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -

Weight -/+ this week: -3.8
    Weight -/+ total -15.4 (since start of challenge)

Total weight loss to date: -41.4
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Ready for Summer challenge

Name: Robin
    Height: 5'3"

Start Weight (April 19): 262.6
    Goal Weight (July 1): 249.9

Weigh in week of:
    1. April 26 - 261
    2. May 3 - 261
    3. May 10 - 259.4
    4. May 17 - 257.6
    5. May 24 - 255.8
    6. May 31 - 254.6
    7. June 7 - 253.8
    8. June 14 - 253.6
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -

Weight -/+ this week: -0.2
    Weight -/+ challenge total: -9.0
    Weight -/+ overall total: -32.2

I think I need to take a look at my Food Diary and make some changes. Although I have been staying within my calorie goals for a deficit, I know I need to do better with choices. I mean, are all calories created equal? I know there are debates out there on this, maybe I need to do some of my own research on it.
    I know the slope I am on is a slippery one. This is when I would typically get frustrated and say to hell with it! I spent a year or more at this weight and my body is likely comfortable here (again, a theory that is debatable), but my BRAIN is NOT comfortable here!

The scale is going down so I shouldn't be complaining, but I'd like to see it go down a bit faster. :/

Until next time; wishing everyone Peace B) , Love <3 and Weight Loss :smiley: !!