June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Since everyone here seems to be very consistent with their running workouts, is there any insight you can share in terms of what you do to make sure you don't miss your runs/ skip running workouts/ get behind? Sometimes I am on point with making every scheduled run for a few weeks straight but then something seems to happen either with scheduling, motivation, or desire to do a different workout. I need to be more consistent and it looks like all of you have it figured out so please let me know how you keep at it :smile:

I'm an "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" kind of person. So, I have a plan. And it's written down. In ink. If I keep it in my head, I'm definitely going to conveniently "forget" a run or workout that I don't like. I've only been at this for a couple of years, but having 8 to 12 week training plans has really helped me stay on track. Don't get me wrong. I have the occasional unplanned rest day, but looking at my calendar gets me right back on track again the next day. When I was wishy washy about it and didn't have an actual plan, it could be a week before I got going again.

You just have to figure out what kind of person you are and what will keep you focused.

Oh, and I highly recommend signing up for a race. There's nothing quite as motivating as a finish line!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    June 15 – 0.0 XT HC22 Cardio 2, Core 2, Resistance 2

Total: 54.25 miles/100 miles

Next Race:
    June 23 – St. Pete Beach Series, Race #1, 5K
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Since everyone here seems to be very consistent with their running workouts, is there any insight you can share in terms of what you do to make sure you don't miss your runs/ skip running workouts/ get behind? Sometimes I am on point with making every scheduled run for a few weeks straight but then something seems to happen either with scheduling, motivation, or desire to do a different workout. I need to be more consistent and it looks like all of you have it figured out so please let me know how you keep at it :smile:

I do it as soon as I wake up and roll out of bed. It was hard at first. Now, its just another part of my early morning routine like brushing my teeth. I do my long runs with a running group on Sunday. We all keep each other accountable.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @SpiritHippo I agree with what everyone else has said about staying on track.

I have set goals for myself (pace goals, race goals, etc) and use training plans to hold myself accountable. I'm also very self-competitive, so that drive to see my personal improvements, and hitting new PRs really helps hold me accountable. When I started with using training plans what I really struggled with at first was forgiving myself when I fell off the plan here and there, due to life. I had to really convince myself that it was ok if I missed a few miles here and there.

I also keep my schedule posted right on my cubicle wall at work, so it's always there in my mind, lol.

8p5dbadxkmkz.jpg
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @SpiritHippo Also, Usually when you fall off the wagon so bad to the point it's hard to get back up, it's usually because you got burnt out. Look back at the times this happened to you in the past. What things did you do (or things unexpectedly happen to you) that may have caused burn out. Where you trying to do too much? Did something out of your control hamper your training but you persistently tried to stick to "the plan"? Sleep, illness, work, other responsibilities? What did you do to scale back your training to deal with these other stressors?

What kind of training do you do? Is every run you do a "hard workout"? Do you have recovery or very easy days? Do you have cut back weeks? Or are you constantly always trying to out do yourself every single week?

At least 80% of all your miles (or minutes if you go by time) should be easy or recovery (no faster than conversational pace). If you do any more, it's a recipe for burn out and will stunt your training.

Also an improper balance diet can effect your motivation to training. Yesterday I posted about "not worrying about being hydrated 24/7/365" but disregarding your liquid intake all together is destructive as well. it's all balance.

Just some more things to think about.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    At least 80% of all your miles (or minutes if you go by time) should be easy or recovery (no faster than conversational pace). If you do any more, it's a recipe for burn out and will stunt your training.

Interesting. This is the first I have seen anyone suggest this. My plan for the summer (well until this blasted heat wave hit) was to do my 3 to 5 "short" runs (6-8 miles) each week at race pace+a little (trying to get faster) and my long run at a slightly-harder-than-easy pace. Which without doing the math is probably way more than 20% at a hard pace :smiley:

Is that a bad plan?

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Last night I got my hubby to do the P90X3 Dynamix video with me. We cast it into our garage and made our own home gym. It was fun and he even liked it. It's one of the easier ones which is why I chose it. He didn't think it was so easy. I am hoping I can get him to do more of them, but I may have to lie and tell him that one was the hardest.

@lporter229 ha ha!!! I love this too much!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 8 miles (daily double: 3.5 & 4.5)
    6/2 - 9 miles
    6/3 - 5 mile recovery run
    6/4 - GW Bridge Challenge 10k (PR - 53:43)
    6/5 - 6.25 mile recovery run
    6/6 - 9 soaking wet miles
    6/7 - 8 miles w/summer track workout (4x1000m w/400m recoveries)
    6/8 - 10 miles (daily double: 6 & 4)
    6/9 - rest
    6/10 - NYRR Mini 10k (6.3 miles - 58:09)
    6/11 - 13 mile slow, hottt, long run
    6/12 - 8 mile rather hot run
    6/13 - 7 mile run w/summer track workout (3x 10 min Indian file runs)

June Total: 95.85/140
    696.7 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Last night was 7 miles, including the Rockland Road Runners summer track workout. The workout was really fun as it was my first time doing Indian-file runs! We were instructed to split ourselves up into about 4 groups of around 10 people each, based on pace. We did 3x 10min sessions, with 5 min in between each. It was a good challenge because there was always someone in my group who was probably slightly too fast, which was a great way to really push myself, as they would pull the whole line of us to speed up. And I could feel my glutes working as I pushed on each of my bursts to get to the head of the line, so overall, I think it was a really great workout.

I ran 2 miles warmup first, 1 mile from my house to the track, and another mile doing laps. Since this is such an unstructured workout I didn't really know how many miles I would get out of the Indian-file runs, but it ended up working perfectly. I ran one recovery lap between the first two 10 min sessions, and just rested between the second two, since I was worried about getting too much distance, and I was tired, lol. By the end of the 3rd session I had exactly 6 miles, with a 1 mile cooldown run to get myself home, to get to exactly my 7 mile target, so it was perfect!

Since it's a taper week, tonight's scheduled recovery run is only three miles. Is it messed up that in my head I'm like, 'hmm, does it even count as a training run if it's ONLY 3 miles?' :D
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @VydorScope love the link to the article. Yes most of us would not recommend your plan. That's 1980's thinking about running and it's an even worse idea depending on your age. Recovery and miles at reduced pace are essential. Race on race day, run fast intervals but do not train like every run is about going faster. Think about the baseball player who wants to hit better, does he set up a machine that throws twice as hard and with more curve. No he develops good mechanics and trains his muscles to respond.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »

Interesting. This is the first I have seen anyone suggest this. My plan for the summer (well until this blasted heat wave hit) was to do my 3 to 5 "short" runs (6-8 miles) each week at race pace+a little (trying to get faster) and my long run at a slightly-harder-than-easy pace. Which without doing the math is probably way more than 20% at a hard pace :smiley:

Is that a bad plan?

--
    Pastor Vincent

get and read the book 80/20 Running by Matt Fitzgerald.

http://mattfitzgerald.org/8020training/

Also, these videos will help as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRYYhweiLQ
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @VydorScope love the link to the article. Yes most of us would not recommend your plan. That's 1980's thinking about running and it's an even worse idea depending on your age. Recovery and miles at reduced pace are essential. Race on race day, run fast intervals but do not train like every run is about going faster. Think about the baseball player who wants to hit better, does he set up a machine that throws twice as hard and with more curve. No he develops good mechanics and trains his muscles to respond.

Considering I was on the X-Country team in late 80/ealy 90s I guess calling it 1980s thinking is okay! :lol: Really though I am just making this up as I go. I figure "want to run faster, well run faster then." Seems logical.

Also, I know nothing about baseball, or really any sport, training. I probably would turn the pitching machine up faster if I was trying to learn to hit. :)

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Also, these videos will help as well:

Thanks. Will check the vids.

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    VydorScope wrote: »
    cburke8909 wrote: »

Considering I was on the X-Country team in late 80/ealy 90s I guess calling it 1980s thinking is okay! :lol: Really though I am just making this up as I go. I figure "want to run faster, well run faster then." Seems logical.

Also, I know nothing about baseball, or really any sport, training. I probably would turn the pitching machine up faster if I was trying to learn to hit. :)

--
    Pastor Vincent

Ironically, The subtitle of the book recommended by @Stoshew71 is "Train Slower to Run Faster". I second the recommendation on the book.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Saw this on other site.... never have I ever as a runner. I scored 9. Give yourself a point for every yes you have.

vpxjlaiufkak.jpg

• ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

We need this in Huntsville.

Description
    The timed Taco Mile will be on Tuesday, June 27 at 6:30pm starting at 135th & Oak. We will run the race in several waves based on projected times. Each participant will eat one taco before running each quarter mile in the race, for a total of four tacos of eating and one mile of running.

How does one even project their own time for this?
    Take your 400m time, and the time it takes you to eat one taco. Multiply by 4, and add a few seconds in case you throw up.

I was unintentionally training for this race a couple months ago. It didn't end good. It was nice running weather then. I can't imagine JUNE!! ugh, I feel a little sick already.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options