June 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    todays run 3.6 on machine with heavy resistance. total for month 88.3/150 61.7 miles to go.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    @critterfull1220 welcome to the most awesome group on MFP, and congrats on your quarter mile, that's fantastic!!!

@need2move2 welcome to you too! If you are doing any of your workout at a run then congrats, you are a runner!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Pastor Vincent I might do ok with the up hills. When I train on the treadmill, I have the incline up to almost maximum for most of the run, but the treadmill cannot replicate the downhills and I find those challenging when I do my road runs. Obviously my pace is fine going downhill but the wear and tear on my legs is noticeable.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Pastor Vincent I might do ok with the up hills. When I train on the treadmill, I have the incline up to almost maximum for most of the run, but the treadmill cannot replicate the downhills and I find those challenging when I do my road runs. Obviously my pace is fine going downhill but the wear and tear on my legs is noticeable.

When I get forced onto a dreadmill, I set it to "average 5%" (4-7% is the options I think) and then let it randomly vary the hills. I pick some famous trail and follow that so maybe not really random but seems like it. I find that feels more like a "real" run.

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • PastorVincent
    edited June 2017
    need2move2 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am new to running. My <3 wants to be a runner but my body is not there yet so I am a walk/runner. I would like to set a goal of 60Km for the month of June. Here is too a successful month good luck everyone! B)
    I will clock my km's weekly.

June 9 - 20 Km
    June 16 - 15 Km
    June 23 -
    June 30 -
    June goal 60km

Welcome to the group! Run/walk is a great way to start. Heck, I have seen people do marathons using run/walk.

--
    Pastor Vincent
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - Pre-race rest day. Ate some donuts for national donut day / carb load :wink:
    6/3 - 13.2 miles. Damn HOT Dam to Dam half marathon! Race report forthcoming.
    6/4 - Ow.
    6/5 - Still ow. Had hoped for a recovery run, but decided against it when I got up.
    6/6 - 4.3 miles.
    6/7 - Unplanned rest day due to son's strep throat :-(
    6/8 - 5 miles.
    6/9 - 5 miles.
    6/10 - 6.2 miles.
    6/11 - Rest day.
    6/12 - 5 miles. 78° and humid at 4:45 a.m.!
    6/13 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work with a group. Then quick upper body weights. Again, 78° and humid.
    6/14 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    6/15 - 5 miles.
    6/16 - 5 miles.

exercise.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Since everyone here seems to be very consistent with their running workouts, is there any insight you can share in terms of what you do to make sure you don't miss your runs/ skip running workouts/ get behind? Sometimes I am on point with making every scheduled run for a few weeks straight but then something seems to happen either with scheduling, motivation, or desire to do a different workout. I need to be more consistent and it looks like all of you have it figured out so please let me know how you keep at it :smile:

pretty much what everyone else has said. I’ve never been a morning person, but I made myself get up early to run. I get out of the house before my excuses can form in my head. I can put together a far greater range of excuses at the end of the day.
    I also try and get up and do something daily. If I have too many days off, then the excuse ‘I’ll stay in bed and go tomorrow’ is almost guaranteed to keep me under the covers. Some days I may literally walk around the park rather than run.

But it is very easy to fail on consistency. Life gets in the way. I find I end up canning at least ONE of my planned runs, terrible I know. Having a race planned also helps. I am a member of a local running club which is good – but again there are excuses I can make such as ‘my legs can’t handle the distance tonight’ or ‘it’s the other side of town’. Joining a running club is great – ours has a suggestion that you should be able to run a twelve minutes mile pace, and the short runs are 4-5 miles so as long as you can do that, great. They also sheepdog to not leave anyone behind.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    VydorScope wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    At least 80% of all your miles (or minutes if you go by time) should be easy or recovery (no faster than conversational pace). If you do any more, it's a recipe for burn out and will stunt your training.

Interesting. This is the first I have seen anyone suggest this. My plan for the summer (well until this blasted heat wave hit) was to do my 3 to 5 "short" runs (6-8 miles) each week at race pace+a little (trying to get faster) and my long run at a slightly-harder-than-easy pace. Which without doing the math is probably way more than 20% at a hard pace :smiley:

Is that a bad plan?

--
    Pastor Vincent

Doing as much as you suggest at race pace is much more likely to result in injury. The 80/20 rule is pretty solid. For example, if you run 5 days a week, you might have one day of speed work or a tempo run, three days of easy/base pace running and one day of hills at easy/base pace or lower. Simply adding that one day of speed work will, over time, help all of your regular/easy runs become faster.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    VydorScope wrote: »
    DANG. So I was wondering if I do a lot of hills and looked at the Strava MFP group... and umm... I took the leader board last week, by OVER 1200 feet.

I am a slow runner compared to many of you, but I wonder how y'all would hold up in my neighborhood! :lol::wink:

--
    Pastor Vincent
    I saw your elevation, and I am very impressed. In past weeks I made all of my runs as hilly as possible. I would typically take the leaderboard. While I did not run these hills as much this past week (I am running on the track for my intervals now and reduced mileage this last week), I was getting a little over 3200 ft of elevation gain on Strava for my 41.5 mile per week efforts for a few weeks. Again, that is as hilly as I can make it out here! :lol: Your 3811 feet beats that! Although you did it with 49.5 miles, so perhaps per mile mine was slightly higher on average, but I suspect if you targeted hills like I did you could probably average higher still. If @ROBOTFOOD ever starts back up again with a ton of running though, watch out! He can give you a good challenge. He was doing some seriously ridiculous stuff for a while.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    need2move2 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am new to running. My <3 wants to be a runner but my body is not there yet so I am a walk/runner. I would like to set a goal of 60Km for the month of June. Here is too a successful month good luck everyone! B)
    I will clock my km's weekly.

June 9 - 20 Km
    June 16 - 15 Km
    June 23 -
    June 30 -
    June goal 60km
    Welcome runner! Believe me, you are a runner. If doing walking mixed with running is not considered running, then that makes me NOT a runner, and I take exception to that personally. It's fine if you believe that, just don't try telling me that unless you want the middle finger and a challenge to at least run as many hours per week and as many hills, etc, before you are allowed to be condescending about it. :smile:

Again, welcome to the group!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @VydorScope - It certainly is easy to get confused in all of the numbers. So many chiefs out there with different definitions of training zones and what not. At the end of the day, they all work out to be pretty close. I like to use plans that are centered around lactate threshold rather than max heart rate, just because it is easier to estimate, IMO. If you ran a 10K in 51 minutes and your average HR was 162, that is probably pretty close to your LT. Did you feel like you could sustain that pace for maybe another 9-10 minutes or were you completely spent? If you were spent, you LT may be a little closer to 160. Otherwise, 162 might be a good estimate. The important thing is that none of this has to be exact. It's more about getting an idea of where you should be training and trying to hit it rather than missing the target completely.

When I first started with 80/20 Running I was 42 years old. I did the treadmill LT test in the book and determined my LT to be around 160. That set my easy zone to 138 max. Hitting 138 was HARD. Very hard. Especially if you train on hills, because it's nearly impossible to maintain a steady HR, so that makes getting an avg HR in a zone that much harder. I really had to work at slowing down. But the thing is, it didn't take long running at this slow pace until I was finding that my previous pace was now achievable while staying in this lower HR zone. You make progress really quickly. If you commit to it, you will be surprised by the results.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @MNLittleFinn - Eeek...I am getting excited for you!!! I may not check in again until Monday, so I just wanted to be sure and say good luck to you tomorrow! I hope you can get a little extra "push" knowing that 100+ people that have never met you will be at home cheering you on!!!
  • PastorVincent
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @VydorScope - It certainly is easy to get confused in all of the numbers. So many chiefs out there with different definitions of training zones and what not. At the end of the day, they all work out to be pretty close. I like to use plans that are centered around lactate threshold rather than max heart rate, just because it is easier to estimate, IMO. If you ran a 10K in 51 minutes and your average HR was 162, that is probably pretty close to your LT. Did you feel like you could sustain that pace for maybe another 9-10 minutes or were you completely spent? If you were spent, you LT may be a little closer to 160. Otherwise, 162 might be a good estimate. The important thing is that none of this has to be exact. It's more about getting an idea of where you should be training and trying to hit it rather than missing the target completely.

When I first started with 80/20 Running I was 42 years old. I did the treadmill LT test in the book and determined my LT to be around 160. That set my easy zone to 138 max. Hitting 138 was HARD. Very hard. Especially if you train on hills, because it's nearly impossible to maintain a steady HR, so that makes getting an avg HR in a zone that much harder. I really had to work at slowing down. But the thing is, it didn't take long running at this slow pace until I was finding that my previous pace was now achievable while staying in this lower HR zone. You make progress really quickly. If you commit to it, you will be surprised by the results.

Just started reading the 80/20 book last night. Read the intro and chp1. So pretty much just the sales pitch so far. Plan to skip the few chapters where he does nothing by present proof and jump to instructions. For me, the proof will be in the real world test, with my sample size of 1. :)

So 138/160 = 86% - are you basically using lactate threshold as your max heart rate?
  • PastorVincent
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I would love to hear the experiences from others in their 40s or older who are either still continuing to see improvement or have really leveled off. What should we expect as middle aged runners? Maybe it's more about altering our approach to training, cross training and recovery. I do know for certain that rest and recovery are more important now than they have ever been in the past.

I am 42 and feel like I am still gaining, hit 2 PRs this year. But definitely gaining slower. Probably just the Law of Diminishing returns though. I am hoping to PR the Marathon next year. We will see.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    just been ploughing through about 100 messages......

@MNLittleFinn good luck at the weekend!! You'll be fine.

I have a little off-road adventure on one of our long-distance paths here tomorrow. My friend is doing the whole route as a charity walk split over weekends. I'm starting at the end of where she plans to stop tomorrow night, and running to meet her in the middle, then will walk back with her. So am expecting 8 miles of running followed by another 8 mile walk.