Beeps2011 Posts: 11,973 Member
    Options
    Great photos gam3rguy.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    completed the Patriot Half triathlon yesterday.

Finishing time of 6:06:06 was a PR for me. Segments were 41:48 for 1.2M swim, transition to bike, then 3:07:14 for 56M bike split, transition to run, finished with a 2:11:48 half marathon run. Given the heat and humidity, I'll take it.

Rest day today. :)

@Djproulx

Congrats on the PR!

Now that you've had a day to contemplate it, how did your training and nutrition plan work out in the end? Were there any surprises?

My training seemed to be on target for this race. Focusing on managing my heart rate during the bike & run, coupled with a very specific fueling plan (I consumed 225-300 calories in carbs plus electrolytes per hour) was a great plan for me. The other big factor was becoming leaner, due to being roughly 15lbs lighter than I was during my previous race, an Ironman 70.3 race last August.

The Timberman course was much hillier, so not a true "apples to apples" comparison, but the difference in my energy level when I hit the run course this year was significant. My bike split in both races was nearly identical (3:08 vs 3:07) but I burned so much more energy in last year's' race, going at or above threshold too many times. The run splits tell the story: 2:40:30 last year (blowup!) vs 2:11:48 on Saturday. For reference, I'm typically a 1:58:00 open half marathoner, so the 2:11:48 triathlon run split is within reason.

• caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday kids, gam3rguy great photos..YOU rock...DJproulx congrats, great job. All of you continue to motivate me. Have a great day kids.
  • JasonRainboze
    JasonRainboze Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    *raises hand..... over 40, check
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @gam3rguy and @Djproulx It looks like you both had an amazing weekend! Awesome!! Looks like all your training, both of you, has paid off!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options

Finishing time of 6:06:06 was a PR for me. Segments were 41:48 for 1.2M swim, transition to bike, then 3:07:14 for 56M bike split, transition to run, finished with a 2:11:48 half marathon run. Given the heat and humidity, I'll take it.

Congratulations!!! So, so awesome!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »

@Djproulx

Congrats on the PR!

Now that you've had a day to contemplate it, how did your training and nutrition plan work out in the end? Were there any surprises?

My training seemed to be on target for this race. Focusing on managing my heart rate during the bike & run, coupled with a very specific fueling plan (I consumed 225-300 calories in carbs plus electrolytes per hour) was a great plan for me. The other big factor was becoming leaner, due to being roughly 15lbs lighter than I was during my previous race, an Ironman 70.3 race last August.

The Timberman course was much hillier, so not a true "apples to apples" comparison, but the difference in my energy level when I hit the run course this year was significant. My bike split in both races was nearly identical (3:08 vs 3:07) but I burned so much more energy in last year's' race, going at or above threshold too many times. The run splits tell the story: 2:40:30 last year (blowup!) vs 2:11:48 on Saturday. For reference, I'm typically a 1:58:00 open half marathoner, so the 2:11:48 triathlon run split is within reason.

@Djproulx

Interesting analysis. I have a tendency to misjudge early pacing, so your thoughts about basing it on heart rate are intriguing. And I've always been a little skeptical of such carefully timed fueling, but it clearly worked. Will do some reading about both.

I bet the 15 lbs made a huge difference. I'm hoping my fall 5k will be blazing fast in comparison to previous (at least 40 lbs heavier) efforts. :)
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Congrats @Djproulx !! What a great accomplishment!

Thanks for the pictures @gam3rguy...always love to see them.

Spent Father's day paddling around with one of my friends. It was a relaxing 3.6 miles, and then we ate all our calories back after at the local watering hole.

Today was my usual gym day after my usual Monday volunteer stuff. Slowly building reps on the weight machines to make the move to go up a plate soon on a few of them. I probably need to mix it up a bit as this routine is starting to get a bit repetitive.

Have a great week all you cool kids!
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,983 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great Father's Day yesterday. I started week 4 of Strong Lifts today AND got my hubs to join my gym and agree to start a lifting program! Yay!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @TmacMMM - Regarding pacing by HR (or watts, if you have a power meter) This is accomplished by setting up HR zones through testing. Look for reading on HR Zone Training to learn more.

Regarding fueling rates: This approach is overkill for shorter duration events, but becomes critical (IMO) in endurance events that span multiple hours. This is because we don't have enough glycogen stored to support performance during events such as marathons or triathlons where calorie expenditures can easily run into the 3000-4000 range.
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 Agility X"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Morning kids. Inferno done. Warm up and bonus round was those darn stairs. Have a great day kids.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was really NOT feeling kickboxing today and almost skipped it, but man, I'm glad I didn't. Class today was really fun.
  • GingerPwr
    Options
    sgireland wrote: »
    New MFP user checking in. From London, Ontario area. Trying to drop a few (20lbs) that have snuck on over the last year. Enjoy motorcycling and my two Labs.

Welcome! You've joined a great site and supportive group.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Rowing class.

Just one left, on Thursday, and we're going to have a race -- mixing up rowers between the beginner, intermediate, and experienced boats. Then we get beer. :)
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "P90X3 X3 Yoga"=Done!
  • GingerPwr
    Options
    Squats, bench press, and barbell rows today. Done and done.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,973 Member
    Options
    I haven't been posting (nothing to post), but I am reading the posts. FYI. :)
  • joyhoffman9340
    joyhoffman9340 Posts: 16 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hi newbie here. :) I'm 46 and want to take off weight to be healthy. Looking for support and tips.

Current weight: 202
    Goal weight: 150
    Monthly goal: 5 lbs less :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Gah! Day 5 of cold, wet and fog! Temps this morning on my way to work was 5C! Brrrr! That down from the 7C yesterday and 8C Monday. :p