• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    uhjj29p4l968.jpg
    Early morning hike in San Diego
  • abiskeet
    abiskeet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE hiking. These are some beautiful photos!
  • MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    [
    Early morning hike in San Diego

Nice pic, Liz

• MountainSam
    MountainSam Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    abiskeet wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVE hiking. These are some beautiful photos!

I love it as well :) Where do you go for hiking ?

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just returned from a fascinating trip to Bhutan and Thailand; a few shots of some Bhutan hikes (Tiger's Nest monastery, other short ones) and a 4-day trek (Gasa to Laya) with ponies carrying the loads. These are in absolutely no order whatsoever:

6uunq6gra531.jpg
    h3w616rr12gf.jpg
    h06p6uonst3x.jpg
    bh2r14q8nprr.jpg
    u6zdfimjqbsy.jpg
    pvsnyfbgd8hf.jpg
    0mofmybdz6tm.jpg
    dys7kj1of9t5.jpg
    5w48qm46brrn.jpg
    uutpccsrhzll.jpg
    zmd9a273u32v.jpg
    lf43gyh4u86r.jpg
    nq11n7tgmrw1.jpg
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Acidique wrote: »
    The seasons are changing here in Montana. Although autumn is going to make for some breathtaking hiking, I'll probably have to move indoors for winter. Boooo. :(

I was thinking the same way about the winters but a couple of discussions (one here on MFP infact) made me change my mind: I am going to get snow-shoes and a very-warm jacket :)

I am learning more about this as well. I am looking for a good pair of hiking boots that will support my feet and keep the snow out. I may continue my hiking after all, and I hope you can too!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    @Acidique

Look into gaiters. Their job is to keep snow out of your boot. That way you get the boots that fit best, then add snow protection if they need it.
  • mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    fgg09jaa7d9o.jpg

Speaking of the North Cascades - Blue Lake is an awesome little hike. It's easy (1050ft elevation gain) , short (4 1/2 miles), and the lake is beautiful, even when frozen over. This was from the first week of November, and I know HWY 20 is now closed for the season, so you'll only get there by foot/skis. It'll be well worth it once the road reopens in the spring and everything starts to melt!

As for doing it for fitness, nah. I always tend to pick the super steep ones (doing Colchuck Lake in the middle of the summer was a terrible idea - I was so exhausted by the time we made it there), so I definitely get a workout, but I go mainly for the sights and just being out in nature.

@sireenmalik2014, not sure if it's been mentioned in here or not, but once it gets into late spring, you should definitely check out Kelly Aster Butte. It's an old fire tower that overlooks Rainier, and it's a great hike. Steep, and neverending switchbacks, but it's beautiful. ALso, Colchuck Lake, as there is really nothing more amazing than turning the last corner and then BOOM - Dragontail Peak is right there. Lake Valhalla is an easy hike as well, and can be snowshoed in the winter time.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I would like to connect (with) folks who are into hiking. I moved to Seattle area a year ago, and started hiking a few months back. It has done wonders to my mental and physical health: I have lost weight; my energy level is up; sleep better; better focus; me-time helps me de-stress, ... the list goes on. I hit the trails every Saturday morning. During the weekdays spend some time in the gym to improve my fitness. Honestly, it is more mental strength right now than my fitness but I keep raising the bar every weekend - one little step at a time.

I would like other hikers to share their experiences, training programs, diet plans, motivational tips, tips on trail heads, .., or any other interesting insight.

I am certain this will motivate other people to take up this great outdoor activity.

Sam
    Redmond, WA

I live in Seattle and am an avid backpacker and hiker. That said, its cold right now...I'm more of a summer hiker.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    mafhoney wrote: »
    fgg09jaa7d9o.jpg

Speaking of the North Cascades - Blue Lake is an awesome little hike. It's easy (1050ft elevation gain) , short (4 1/2 miles), and the lake is beautiful, even when frozen over. This was from the first week of November, and I know HWY 20 is now closed for the season, so you'll only get there by foot/skis. It'll be well worth it once the road reopens in the spring and everything starts to melt!

As for doing it for fitness, nah. I always tend to pick the super steep ones (doing Colchuck Lake in the middle of the summer was a terrible idea - I was so exhausted by the time we made it there), so I definitely get a workout, but I go mainly for the sights and just being out in nature.

@sireenmalik2014, not sure if it's been mentioned in here or not, but once it gets into late spring, you should definitely check out Kelly Aster Butte. It's an old fire tower that overlooks Rainier, and it's a great hike. Steep, and neverending switchbacks, but it's beautiful. ALso, Colchuck Lake, as there is really nothing more amazing than turning the last corner and then BOOM - Dragontail Peak is right there. Lake Valhalla is an easy hike as well, and can be snowshoed in the winter time.

Great photo! And good trail choice. You made it look a little bit like Colchuck Lake somehow.

There's a trail that goes from Twisp River Road to (or near?) the top of those cliffs behind the lake.

Here's what it (Blue Lake) looks like in October.

31189923141_eba600edc7_o_d.jpg

30482859074_9ec261f40f_o_d.jpg

24743516711_fcf3fccbe6_o_d.jpg
  • ldev2308
    ldev2308 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and have a love hate relationship with hiking!
    You have some stunning scenery :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ldev2308 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK and have a love hate relationship with hiking!
    You have some stunning scenery :)

I would love to spend a summer hiking around the UK. :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I hope this post doesn't crash. A few peeks at our recent 2+ week trip hiking the Swiss Alps.
    291,000+ steps, 1219 floors
    leu9zt06rzju.jpgteya7nmjwd3o.jpg
    b1tg6g0uepr4.jpg
    sy13ahzbniq1.jpg
    dq883vw2kq81.jpg
    l6f85t9ascvb.jpg
    limxpatturda.jpg
    vfezl8sles1h.jpg

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I love hiking but I am so scared of bears. In in VA so we have black bears.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We still have a lot of snow in the Sierra Nevadas above 6,000 feet. Plus, the streams are gushing. It is putting a damper on many trails and peaks.
  • sourkate
    sourkate Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I adore hiking. I haven't done much since I moved from Maine to Florida though. My biggest goal on this weight loss journey is to eventually thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. I love all your pictures and I hope to add some of my own soon. Happy trails =)
  • jcpwag
    jcpwag Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sourkate wrote: »
    I adore hiking. I haven't done much since I moved from Maine to Florida though. My biggest goal on this weight loss journey is to eventually thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. I love all your pictures and I hope to add some of my own soon. Happy trails =)

AT is also one of my primary motivators