WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,375 Member
    Options
    Went to the volunteer meeting at the Green Room. Had cheese, fruit (the watermelon was REALLY good), one meatball (I wasn't impressed) and 3 petitfours which I probably shouldn't have had but I needed to see if it was something that Vince would eat.

Wed. here: did 50 minutes of Michelle Olsen's better buns, glutes and abs DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a strength DVD by Gilad Quick Fit Body Sculpt.

As I was getting ready to go to the Newcomer board meeting, a friend called with a strange request. She said that she wouldn't be at the board meeting since her cat died the previous night. Then she asked if she could bury it in our backyard. Really, I didn't have a problem with it, it's just that it was something I wasn't expecting. Got dinner ready then took Bob's dog to the vet. They took his wife to hospice today. He called and thanked us for taking the dog. They drew blood so we gave them our number to call us with the results, we'll relay them to Bob. We had them give the dog a 6 month heartworm shot. I have no idea when the last time was the dog got his heartworm medicine, but at least now Bob doesn't have to worry about it for a few months. Then went to ceramics, then to Lowe's Foods. Got a coupon for a free container of this ice cream so I got it and the store paid me 90 cents to buy it. I can't remember the last time a store paid me to buy something.

Becca - I like your way of cooking :)

Lenora - I don't know if it's so much that my input has been ignored, but more that his mother, to me, is acting like mother of the bride. Do you know that she texted Jess and told her that she can have the bridal shower at certain places and she then proceeded to tell Jess on what days. Jess nicely told her that she and the other girls haven't decided yet, but that it would be one of the first two weekends in august. Also, that it had to be on a Saturday because she has to go to work. His mother said "bridal showers are always on a Sunday". Well, this one won't be! His mother seems to be quite controlling, she was the one who told Denise that she should buy another pair of shoes to wear at the reception. I told Denise that I'd never in my life heard of something that stupid. His mother ordered the robes and the one for Jess said "bridesmaid" even tho she knows perfectly well that Jess is a maid of honor. Then she convinced Denise that it would be perfectly all right for her to insult her sister.

Allie - brilliant setting up the deposition for when they are supposed to leave for FL. Just brilliant!

Margaret - lovely picture you did there.

Vince just found out that he needs a crown. Oh joy! Not sure when he's going to go for it.

Re - when I'm extra tired, I get hungry for anything, too.

Meredith - good for you getting those jeans! I wish I could get jeans at the Salvation Army. Alas, I'm short and need a petite, they very seldom have petite sizes.

Michele in NC
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    <3

Paula Y
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: "I am pretty consistently wearing a size 16 now - and even taking Vanity Sizing into consideration - I am smaller now than when I got married in 1989 - so... I don't want to break that cycle. I know the lifting has played a major part of that." CONGRATULATIONS! :flowerforyou:

Meredith: Congratulations on the smaller jeans! They are proof that you're making progress. :smiley:

Michele: Why does your friend want to bury the cat in your yard? Is she in an apartment, or something? :huh:

DH has gone to bed already but I'm not ready yet. I may watch a bit of TV if I can find something I want to see. I just returned a book that I wasn't enjoying and checked out another, but I'm not willing to dive into it this evening. It will hold until tomorrow.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, that is just weird that some one wants to bury their pet in your yard. M not sure if I would allow it.

I had a wreck one time, not my fault and it was in the evening. I found out it was not the best time to get a rental car with this persons insurance. I had a nice car, one of the things I liked most about it were the arm rests. My sister and I were getting ready to drive down to Michelle's college to hear them sing The Messiah and we wanted our usual comfort. So the rental car the other insurance compan was providing for me was a small compact and from a very smoking company. So the next day my insurance office called to see how things were and if I was being taken care of. So I told him about e car. He was livid. I should get the Sam luxuries I had in MY car. Well my car was to luxurious but it was when it was bought used. So he got on the horn and got me a really nice rental with much more than what I had. And the next time we needed to buy a new car we bought that model!

Allie, you go girl. Girl power rules!!!!

Joyce, imdiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,770 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    well just got a text from a friend of mine who works same place as Tom.. I was right this has been going on for 3 yrs..and now it will implode.. what Tom and Elena don't know will all come out next week.. she says its all over the shop...
    and also found a couple of pictures of her on Tom's computer.. she is just average looking...
    but it takes all kinds, they have been seen at restaurants ,not around here..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Just ordered 3 lbs of eye of round beef (silverside in UK) from the butcher to make skinnytaste.com Barbecoa Beef in the Instant Pot. Made it before in my ancient pressure cooker and it was delicious and froze beautifully. Also ordered 8 pigs cheeks to made a Normandy cider recipe. Picking up the,meat next Tuesday. :D
    Today I'm making DH a rice pudding. If it comes out well I might grill a topping on it and take it with us to Hove to share. In London we always bought the rice pudding from the Turkish shops and we all miss them. I only ever had one spoonful. o:)
    I'm going to make myself an individual portion of Thai green curry, using frozen boneless, skinless legs as I want to see if it works. :o

DH is going to cricket and hoping it doesn't rain. :|

We're having Avgolemono for lunch. Yum! <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ Sounds like you are going to put your instant pot to good use! :)

Allie ~ Keeping you in my thoughts. Can't wait to see the DH's surprise.

It's been beautiful here all week! Cool and no humidity! Love it!

Carol in GA
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,771 Member
    Options
    Michele ... is it legal to bury pets in your yard? NY has rules about that kind of thing ... although most people ignore them ...

Heather ... you can get boneless, skinless chicken legs? I've seen that preparation for breasts and thighs but not legs.

Allie ... I'm thinking of you too.

Mental Health ... my older son struggles with mental health issues ... sudden onset 5 years ago and still not under control ... it breaks my heart to see someone who had the world by the tail now so confused. My thoughts and prayers to all of you living with loved ones who struggle with mental health problems ...

Sigh ... I don't seem to be able to get my act together. The scale is now going up??? Which probably means I've overestimated the calories burned during workouts and overeaten, I'm sure. And while I was doing so good going to the gym ... went Monday so far this week ... I wasn't able to go yesterday and may not be able to go at all this week!

Need to get to work ....

Beth
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    (((Beth)))

Dana love the hand prints. Glad you found a good spot to hang them.

Mary I am the wall painter in our home, so I know how much work it is to paint.

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    heather if you keep posting the instapot meals, I will surely tip over and buy one! I have no self control when it comes to wanting a kitchen gadget-I used to be absolutely out of control (ever heard of a soup blender? Well I bought one!).

Re clothing size is very important and the fact that you are wearing a size from way back is important to stay motivated. you'll get back to strength training and move forward-I just know it.

The new patio lights I hung up are very cute, we sat out last night and DD talked about "Wonder Woman" movie she went to see with DH. They are great movie buddies.

Today I have a smaller outdoor project list, weather is turning hot and sticky, so I'd better get rolling, the wrought iron railing won't paint itself ladies!

NYKAREN
  • Mauitn
    Mauitn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. I spent a lovely evening last night with a young couple I hadn’t seen since Christmas. They are dear friends, but at that age when both have jobs, have to active boys, family, house, and dog. They lead very busy lives. We had dinner at the University Inn and Restaurant and ate out on the patio. The weather and evening sky was perfect. It was good to catch up with them.

Time to get moving on those projects I keep saying I’m going to do.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I will be MIA today and probably through the Fourth of July! Didn't get through painting until 1:30 AM. And the dark blue room could use another coat of paint!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Beth - You are right - I meant thighs. :D It's cooking right now. I just tipped them in frozen as an experiment as it's only me eating them.
    The rice pudding turned out DIVINE! I gave it a good stir and it thickened up, then I grilled a bit of sugar and cinnamon over it. I'm using an old enamel dish that belonged to my grandmother. <3:D Hope they think it's as good as the Turkish ones. :laugh:

NY KAREN - I don't buy a lot of gadgets, but I tried to resist this one for a year and then gave in. One problem was where to put it, as even the 6 litre is BIG. (They make 8 litres as well) I have found a perfect place for it in the utility room, above the washing machine. :D I think if you put things away in cupboards you never use them.
    I am hoping it will encourage me to eat more beans and grains as well as cooking tough cuts of meat. I have got an ancient pressure cooker, but did not wholly trust it and it dripped water. I may now steel myself to bin it. :o

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,652 Member
    Options
    yo peeps
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    945077n6gv373mvj.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :) another beautiful morning for walking dogs. I have over ten thousand steps. Now I can shower and dress and head off to line dance class. <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,398 Member
    Options
    Allie – I am so happy things are moving along quickly. Nice touch on the deposition timing. >:) I wonder how long Tom intended to keep up his side thing had you not instigated this divorce. Something sounds fishy about it and I wonder if Elena is still married or in some other committed relationship but getting her side jollies too. Hard telling what goes on in some people's minds! Anyhow, (((HUGS)))) and you’ll soon be off to a bright future!

Becca - walking dogs is great exercise! It's neat that you are able to get some "Annabelle" time in and help Prudence. It's nice to have a dog small enough to pick up when there's potential harm or hassle.

Katla - hope the raccoon abatement gets finished and you never have to hassle with those pesky critters again.... both the raccoons and the abatement crew! >:) Glad the rental car problem was solved. Good for the agent doing his duty. We have The Hartford for vehicles and house. There isn’t a local agent per se but they’ve always been good at handling claims over the phone… but the vehicle premiums have gotten a lot higher, even with bare-bones coverage and no claims, plus DH’s car and pickup don’t have over 1,000 miles per year…so I am ready to shop. I am thinking our AAA might handle a rental car – I need to check on that.

Dana – Good luck with the MRI. I am a little worried about you – glad you are able to put the pain aside and keep working on your projects. Those handprints are adorable. Isn’t it fun to go through those old boxes and find treasures?

Heather – you are inspiring me to get out that instant pot as well. I’m going to toss out my old rice cooker to make room. I have some “heavy duty” pressure canner/cookers – 2 are for canning and I don’t care if they drip because I set them up on the back porch, and the other one is for cooking only – but would do better on a gas flame.

Yesterday I went through my “notes” from past years where I track my weight on a weekly or monthly basis, and it seems if I don’t pay attention to what I’m eating and over-indulge on sugary stuff, my weight still stays within a couple pounds of 170 and has been there for a decade unless I make a concerted effort to cut the calories and sugar way back, then I can get it back to the low 160’s. 170 is pushing the top end of “normal” BMI for me at my height.

Of course, in the summer I’m a lot more active too – walking, working in the garden, etc. and MFP has been great for me to see how many exercise calories are actually generated.

Funny – for some folks, summer is the ideal time for them to eat healthier and lose weight. I realize I do my best in the fall and winter….and I think I know why.

1.) I love soups and stews and don’t cook those in the summer because I don’t want to heat up the kitchen which is on the south side of the house. Even with A/C it still can get up to 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.
    2.) Ice cream and cold sweet desserts are what I go for when it’s hot. There are a few weeks when the wonderful local melons are available and I load up on them.
    3.) I don’t grow fresh salad greens…. And it seems the ones I buy at the store deteriorate so quickly – perhaps they are sitting in warm trucks or loading docks prior to getting into the cooler at the store. I manage with cole slaw mix – cabbage is more forgiving.

The low 160’s (under 165) is still my goal – mainly because I think that’s the range I’ll need to be in to diminish this unhealthy belly fat, which is courtesy of simple carbs = sugar, I’m pretty sure.

Thoughts on this?

Puppy is sleeping so time to go pump some iron!

<3 Make it a great day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Cool but soon to be sunny and warm SW WA State
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am trying to return to fitness pal, and this was one of the boards I followed. I tend to sabotage myself after I see a little bit of weight/size loss. I find your posts inspirational.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Wishful - Welcome! There are some other people who self-sabotage here, I am among them, so you have come to a good place. Pipe up anytime, but especially when you need some supportive cheerleading through the obstacle course!

Instant Pot

I got mine for Christmas. I have the 6qt Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1. I make yogurt twice a week and use it 1-2 times a week for other dishes. I don't like leaving it out on my kitchen counter because it takes up so much room, although it is sitting there now. I usually cart it back and forth to a storage unit in my garage (which is off the kitchen). Not the most convenient, but it was the deal I struck with myself when I put it on my Christmas wish list. Like any appliance, it has its limitations, but I really do like it. I don't use my crock pot anymore, and use the oven less often. Heather, your stewed fruit would be luscious in the Instant Pot, (probably would use pot-in-pot) but I don't know that your husband wants to learn how to use it. It certainly makes cooking eggs a snap - once you get used to it, you can make soft-boiled or hard-boiled eggs accurately & reliably, no green yolks, and easy to peel. If I did only eggs and yogurt, it would be worth having my Instant Pot. But it's also great for tougher cuts of meat, soups & stews (doesn't heat up the kitchen, Lanette!), steaming veggies, and even heating up leftovers that don't fare as well in the microwave. One of the best Christmas gifts I have ever received! (From my partner - I waited until it went on sale and then put it on my wish list <3)

Karen in Virginia