Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Acceptance Movement

Options

Replies

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    no one should be shammed 4 ther size we are all beautiful no matter what others say
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters if someone is decently overweight unless the person has kids or pets who are dependent on them and their weight impedes on their ability to be their for their family (i.e. inability to walk dogs, play with cats/kids, walk with kids etc. or causes serious health issues that can be managed to ensure they are around for their family and don't plop dead or require their family to become caretakers).
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    " Beauty is only skin deep..... but ugly goes clean to the bone."
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    lvmycats wrote: »
    I don't think it really matters if someone is decently overweight unless the person has kids or pets who are dependent on them and their weight impedes on their ability to be their for their family (i.e. inability to walk dogs, play with cats/kids, walk with kids etc. or causes serious health issues that can be managed to ensure they are around for their family and don't plop dead or require their family to become caretakers).

What about when the government needs to pick up the tab for health issues,inability to work due to weight etc?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    R selected are not shame averse. k selected types are.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    As I walk through this wicked world searching for light in the darkness of insanity, I ask myself is all hope lost? Is there only pain and hatred and misery? And each time I feel like this inside, theres one thing I want to know. Whats so funny bout peace love and understanding?
  • tracyroush1277
    tracyroush1277 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Well, I think some level of fat acceptance is necessary, in that if you are mired in depression and self-loathing, weight loss is far, far harder, because a key feature of depression is to lack the ability to imagine how things could be different. Depression itself is the worst kind of sabotage to any self-improvement.

That said, of course it's better to lose the weight - but for many of us, loving ourselves as we are goes hand in hand with being able to lose the weight; I don't see the two ideas in opposition. I was never successful at losing weight before I stopped hating myself for being obese.

this3